Pancreatic resection for cancer—the Heidelberg technique
- 127 Downloads
Pancreatic cancer is associated with high recurrence rates, and any surgery should aim to prevent local recurrence. However, systematic resection of putatively tumor-infiltrated soft tissue adjacent to the celiac branches and superior mesenteric artery has not regularly been applied in pancreatic head resection.
We describe a technique of vessel-oriented pancreatic head resection, allowing for extended removal of lymphatic and neural tissue that is situated in the TRIANGLE in between the celiac trunk, the superior mesenteric artery, and the portal vein.
Vessel-oriented dissection or vascular resection facilitates complete removal of putatively tumor-infiltrated soft tissue, thus potentially reducing the risk of isolated local recurrence in pancreatic cancer.
KeywordsPancreatic cancer PDAC Pancreatoduodenectomy Artery first TRIANGLE Local recurrence
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
- 8.Ghaneh P, Kleeff J, Halloran CM, Raraty M, Jackson R, Melling J, Jones O, Palmer DH, Cox TF, Smith CJ, O'Reilly DA, Izbicki JR, Scarfe AG, Valle JW, McDonald A, Carter R, Tebbutt NC, Goldstein D, Padbury R, Shannon J, Dervenis C, Glimelius B, Deakin M, Anthoney A, Lerch MM, Mayerle J, Oláh A, Rawcliffe CL, Campbell F, Strobel O, Büchler MW, Neoptolemos JP, European Study Group for Pancreatic Cancer (2019) The impact of positive resection margins on survival and recurrence following resection and adjuvant chemotherapy for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg 269(3):520–529CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Jones, R.P., et al., Patterns of recurrence after resection of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: a secondary analysis of the ESPAC-4 randomized adjuvant chemotherapy trial. JAMA Surg, 2019.Google Scholar
- 28.Hackert T, Strobel O, Michalski CW, Mihaljevic AL, Mehrabi A, Müller-Stich B, Berchtold C, Ulrich A, Büchler MW (2017) The TRIANGLE operation - radical surgery after neoadjuvant treatment for advanced pancreatic cancer: a single arm observational study. HPB (Oxford) 19(11):1001–1007CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Mitra A, Pai E, Dusane R, Ranganathan P, DeSouza A, Goel M, Shrikhande SV (2018) Extended pancreatectomy as defined by the ISGPS: useful in selected cases of pancreatic cancer but invaluable in other complex pancreatic tumors. Langenbeck's Arch Surg 403(2):203–212Google Scholar
- 31.Mahajan UM, Langhoff E, Goni E, Costello E, Greenhalf W, Halloran C, Ormanns S, Kruger S, Boeck S, Ribback S, Beyer G, Dombroswki F, Weiss FU, Neoptolemos JP, Werner J, D'Haese JG, Bazhin A, Peterhansl J, Pichlmeier S, Büchler MW, Kleeff J, Ganeh P, Sendler M, Palmer DH, Kohlmann T, Rad R, Regel I, Lerch MM, Mayerle J (2018) Immune cell and stromal signature associated with progression-free survival of patients with resected pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Gastroenterology 155(5):1625–1639 e2CrossRefGoogle Scholar