Laparoscopic surgery in situs inversus: a literature review and a report of laparoscopic sigmoidectomy for diverticulitis in situs inversus
- 163 Downloads
Situs inversus (SI) is a rare autosomal recessive congenital defect in which the position of abdominal and/or thoracic organs is a “mirror image” of the normal one, in the sagittal plain. In 25% of these cases, SI is part of the Kartagener syndrome, together with bronchiectasis and chronic sinusitis.
We present a case of a patient with Kartagener syndrome and complete SI that was laparoscopically operated on for diverticulitis. We also review the published English information available on this rare condition.
A review of the literature revealed another single case of laparoscopic sigmoidectomy and 27 cases of other laparoscopic interventions in the presence of SI. Those laparoscopic procedures included basic procedures such as explorations and cholecystectomies, as well as advanced procedures such as gastrectomy and gastric bypass.
The laparoscopic approach is feasible in cases of SI, although technically more complicated because of the different position of the organs and the different laparoscopic view of the anatomy.
KeywordsLaparoscopic colectomy Situs inversus Diverticulitis
- 2.Davies H, Slater GH, Bailey M (2002) Laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy for diverticular disease in a patient with situs inversus. Surg Endosc 17:160–161Google Scholar
- 3.Yamaguchi S, Orita T, Mii S, Sakata H, Hashizume M (2002) Laparoscope-assisted distal gastrectomy for early gastric cancer in a 76 year-old man with situs inversus totalis. Surg Endosc 17:352–353Google Scholar
- 8.Donthi R, Thomas DJ, Sanders D, Schmidt SP (2001) Report of laparoscopic cholecystectomy in two patients with left-sided gallbladders. J Soc Laparoendosc Surg 5:53–56Google Scholar
- 12.Elhomsy G, Matta W, Varaei K, Garcet L, Rahmani M (1996) The millepede and the surgeon. Apropos of lap. Cholecystectomy in a case of situs inversus or automatic gesture constricted by reason. J Chir (Paris) 133:43Google Scholar
- 22.Djohan RS, Rodriguez HE, Wiesman IM, Unti JA, Podbielski FJ (2000) Laparoscopic cholecystectomy and appendectomy in situs inversus totalis. J Soc Laparoendosc Surg 4:251–254Google Scholar