Information theoretic interpretation of frequency domain connectivity measures
- 417 Downloads
In order to provide adequate multivariate measures of information flow between neural structures, modified expressions of partial directed coherence (PDC) and directed transfer function (DTF), two popular multivariate connectivity measures employed in neuroscience, are introduced and their formal relationship to mutual information rates are proved.
KeywordsInformation flow Partial directed coherence Directed transfer function Mutual information rate Granger causality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Astolfi L, Cincotti F, Mattia D, Marciani MG, Baccalá LA, Fallani FDV, Salinari S, Ursino M, Zavaglia M, Ding L, Edgar JC, Miller GA, He B, Babiloni F (2007) Comparison of different cortical connectivity estimators for high-resolution EEG recordings. Hum Brain Mapp 28: 143–157CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Baccalá LA, Sameshima K (2001a) Overcoming the limitations of correlation analysis for many simultaneously processed neural structures. In: Nicolelis MAL (ed) Progress in brain research, vol 130. Advances in Neural Population Coding. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 33–47Google Scholar
- Baccalá LA, Takahashi DY, Sameshima K (2007) Generalized partial directed coherence. In: Cardiff proceedings of the 2007 15th international conference on digital signal processing (DSP 2007), pp 162–166Google Scholar
- Gelfand IM, Yaglom AM (1959) Calculation of amount of information about a random function contained in another such function. Am Math Soc Transl Ser 2: 3–52Google Scholar
- Lütkepohl H (1993) Introduction to multiple time series analysis. Springer-Verlag, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Priestley MB (1981) Spectral analysis and time series. Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Sommer FT, Wichert A (2003) Exploratory analysis and data modeling in functional neuroimaging. MIT Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Takahashi DY (2009) Medidas de Fluxo de Informação com Aplicação em Neurociência. PhD Thesis, Programa Interunidades de Pós-graduação em Bioinformática da Universidade de São Paulo [K. Sameshima and L. A. Baccalá, Advisors]Google Scholar
- Takahashi DY, Baccalá LA, Sameshima K (2010) Frequency domain connectivity: an information theoretic perspective. In: Proceedings of the 32nd annual international conference of the IEEE engineering in medicine and biology society, Buenos Aires. IEEE Press, New York, pp 1726–1729Google Scholar