Prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing among women working in the aged care services in Japan
- 48 Downloads
The aim of this study was to examine the prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing (SDB) in women working in the field of aged care in Japan.
A cross-sectional study was conducted for female employees aged 18–60 years in aged care facilities in Japan. The analyzed set consisted of 712 participants with complete data. SDB was determined by respiratory disturbance index (RDI), measured using an ambulatory airflow monitor with a polyvinylidene fluoride film sensor to detect nasal and oral airflow overnight at home. Based on the findings of previous studies, RDI 10 was considered equivalent to apnea–hypopnea index (AHI) 15.
The prevalence of moderate-to-severe SDB (RDI ≥ 10) was 22.8%. The mean age was 38.1 years, and mean sleeping time of participants was 6.1 h. The median body mass index (BMI) was 22.0. Women with moderate-to-severe SDB (RDI ≥ 10) had a higher age, neck circumference, neck–height ratio, BMI, systolic blood pressure, and increased prevalence of hypertension, short sleepers (amount of sleep on the SDB testing day < 6 h), and habitual snorers, compared to women with no or mild SDB (RDI < 10).
Our study found that women working in the aged care services in Japan were heavily burdened by SDB even though they were relatively young and slim. To prevent CVD from developing in the future, programs through which workplaces can help their employees improve their lifestyle, and early diagnosis and treatment of SDB are highly recommended.
KeywordsIndustrial health Nursing staff Shift work Sleep Sleep apnea
The authors sincerely thank Mr. Toshinori Satoh who coordinated this study on behalf of the company group.
Study concept and design: YS, AI, HW, KM, NM, and TT. Acquisition of data: YS, AI, HW, KM, NM, RF, YS, SI, YH, and TT. Statistical analysis and drafting of the manuscript: YS. Analysis, interpretation of data, and critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content: all authors.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Takeshi Tanigawa is a part-time occupational physician of Koyama Healthcare Group. The other authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Care Work Foundation (2016) Results of the survey status of nursing labor, 2015. http://www.kaigo-center.or.jp/report/pdf/h27_roudou_genjyou.pdf. Accessed 16 Apr 2017
- Davies RJ, Stradling JR (1990) The relationship between neck circumference, radiographic pharyngeal anatomy, and the obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. Eur Respir J 3(5):509–514Google Scholar
- Fujii S, Sugihara T, Sasaki H, Sudo T, Wakabayashi I (2007) Lower back pain in occupational care workers and its risk factors in Yamagata Prefecture. Nihon eiseigaku zasshi Jpn J Hygiene 62(3):911–919Google Scholar
- Harano K, Taniguchi T, Kobayashi H (2012) Fatigue in night-duty professional caregivers. Kawasaki Med Welf J 21(2):208–217Google Scholar
- Honjo K, Iso H, Inoue M, Tsugane S, Japan Public Health Center-based Prospective Study G (2008) Education, social roles, and the risk of cardiovascular disease among middle-aged Japanese women: the JPHC Study Cohort I. Stroke 39(10):2886–2890. https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.108.514067 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (2016) National Health and Nutrition Survey Japan, 2015. http://www.mhlw.go.jp/file/04-Houdouhappyou-10904750-Kenkoukyoku-Gantaisakukenkouzoushinka/kekkagaiyou.pdf. Accessed 17 Apr 2017
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (2018) Basic survey on wage structure 2017. https://www.mhlw.go.jp/toukei/itiran/roudou/chingin/kouzou/z2017/index.html. Accessed 11 Aug 2018
- Mitoku K (2010) Prevalence of smoking among workers at geriatric facilities and the relationship between smoking and their occupation-related stress. Jpn J Tob Control 5(1):10–17Google Scholar
- National Institute of Population and Social Security Research (2017) Population Projections for Japan (Projection in 2017). http://www.ipss.go.jp/pp-zenkoku/j/zenkoku2017/db_zenkoku2017/g_tables/pp29gg0104data.xls. Accessed 16 Apr 2017
- OECD Social Policy Division Directorate of Employment, Labour and Social Affairs (2016) Time use across the world. https://www.oecd.org/gender/data/OECD_1564_TUSupdatePortal.xls. Accessed 31 May 2017
- Statistics Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (2012) 2011 Survey on time use and leisure activities. http://www.stat.go.jp/data/shakai/2011/index.htm. Accessed 11 Apr 2017
- Statistics Bureau, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (2017) 2016 labour force survey. http://www.e-stat.go.jp/SG1/estat/ListE.do?lid=000001170226. Accessed 16 Apr 2017
- World Health Organization (2017) Global Health Observatory data repository, obesity (body mass index ≥ 30), age-standardized (%) estimates by country. http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.A900A?lang=en. Accessed 24 July 2017