Neuropsychological function in manganese alloy plant workers
The objective was to investigate potential nervous system effects of manganese (Mn) exposure in workers employed in manganese-alloy-producing plants.
One hundred male Mn alloy plant workers were compared with 100 age-matched referents. The subjects were examined with a comprehensive neuropsychological test battery. Exposure was assessed by measurement of Mn concentrations in the workroom air, blood and urine.
The geometric mean (GM) concentration of inhalable Mn in workroom air was 301 μg/m3. The GM concentration of Mn in whole blood (181 nmol/l vs 160 nmol/l) (P=0.002) and urine (0.9 nmol/mmol creatinine vs 0.4 nmol/mmol creatinine) (P<0.001) was higher among the exposed subjects than among the referents. The Mn-exposed subjects had increased postural tremor while conducting a visually guided tremor test (static steadiness test) compared with the referents (mean number of contacts 94 vs 59 (P= 0.001); duration of contacts (in seconds) 5.1 vs 3.5 (P=0.003)). The tremor had larger frequency dispersion, indicating that the tremor included a wider variety of frequencies, among the exposed subjects than among the referents, assessed by the “TREMOR” test system. Smoking habits (self-reported) influenced the tremor parameters significantly, the Mn-exposed smokers having more tremor than the non-smoking Mn-exposed subjects. No differences between the groups were found in tests for cognitive functions, reaction time or in symptom reporting.
The Mn-exposed subjects had increased hand tremor compared with their referents. The tremor was related to exposure parameters. Smoking habits (self-reported) influenced the tremor parameters.
KeywordsTremor Manganese exposure Smoking Neuropsychological Neurobehavioural
- 2.Aschner M (2000) Manganese: brain transport and emerging research needs. Environ Health Perspect 108:429–432Google Scholar
- 7.Couper J (1837) On the effects of black oxide of manganese when inhaled into the lungs. Br Ann Med Pharm 1:41–42Google Scholar
- 9.Danish Product Development Ltd (1996) CATSYS 7.0 user’s manual: Snekkersten, DenmarkGoogle Scholar
- 10.Danish Product Development Ltd (1996) TREMOR 7.0 user’s manual: Snekkersten, DenmarkGoogle Scholar
- 14.Ellingsen DG, Bast-Pettersen R, Efskind J, Thomassen Y (2001) Neuropsychological effects of low mercury vapour exposure in chloralkali workers. Neurotoxicology 22:249–258Google Scholar
- 17.Engvik H, Hjerkinn O, Seim S. WAIS (1978) Wechslers adult intelligence scale. The Norwegian Psychological Association, OsloGoogle Scholar
- 20.Golden CJ, Hammeke TA, Purish AD (1980) Manual for the Luria Nebraska neuropsychological battery. Western Psychological Services, Los AngelesGoogle Scholar
- 23.Hauge R, Irgens-Jensen O (1987) Alcohol in the Nordic countries (in Norwegian). Tidsskr Nord Alkoholforskn 4 [Suppl]:48–49Google Scholar
- 24.Helsinki Symptom Questionnaire (1983) Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, HelsinkiGoogle Scholar
- 25.Hetland S, Ellingsen D, Thomassen Y (1997) Inhalable and “total” aerosol exposure in the manganese alloy industry. Fifteenth International Neurotoxicology Conference; Manganese, abstract. 26–29 October, Little Rock, Arkansas, p 38Google Scholar
- 31.Kawamoto MM, Hanley KW (1997) Health hazard evaluation report. HETA-90–0214–2523, Ralston Purina Company, Eveready Battery Company, Marietta, OhioGoogle Scholar
- 32.Kleinbaum DG, Kupper LL, Morgenstern H (1982) Epidemiologic research, principles and quantitative methods. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 34.Lezak MD (1995) Neuropsychological assessment. Oxford University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 36.Lucchini R, Bergamaschi E, Smargiassi A, Apostoli P (1997) Motor function, olfactory threshold and hematological indices in manganese exposed ferroalloy workers. Environ Res 73:175–180Google Scholar
- 39.Matthews CG, Kløve H (1964) Instruction manual for the adult neuropsychological test battery. University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, Wis, USAGoogle Scholar
- 42.Obeso JA, Rodríguez-Oroz MC, Rodríguez M, Lanciego JL, Artieda J, Gonzalo N, Olanow CW (2000) Pathophysiology of the basal ganglia in Parkinson’s disease. Trends Neurosci 10 [Suppl]:8–19Google Scholar
- 44.Reitan RM, Wolfson D (1985) The Halstead-Reitan neuropsychological test battery. Theory and clinical implication. Neuropsychology Press, ArizonaGoogle Scholar
- 49.Siegl P, Bergert K-D (1982) Eine frühdiagnostische Überwachungsmetode bei Manganexposition. Z Ges Hyg 28:524–526Google Scholar
- 50.Sjögren B, Iregren A, Frech W, Hagman M, Johansson L, Tesarz M, Wennberg A (1996) Effects on the nervous system among welders exposed to aluminium and manganese. Occup Environ Med 53:32–40Google Scholar
- 52.Wellbeloved DB, Craven PM, Waudby JW (1990) Manganese and manganese alloys. In: Elwers B, Hawkins S, Schulz G (eds) Ullman’s encyclopedia of industrial chemistry, 5th edn, vol. A16. Weinheim, p 77Google Scholar