A web-based tool for the interactive visualization of stresses in an infinite plate with an elliptical hole under simple tension: www.ltm.fau.de/plate
We present a web-based software tool for the interactive visualization of stresses around an elliptical hole in an infinite plate under simple tension (http://www.ltm.fau.de/plate). The analytical solution of this fundamental problem dates back more than 100 years and has served as a vital contribution in many disciplines of solid mechanics ever since. The presented software provides insight into this important problem by instantly rendering the analytical solution for immediate changes of the dimensions and orientation of the hole, and by allowing the user to zoom closer into regions of interest. The application is openly accessible from modern mobile and desktop devices for the use in education and research and may provide benchmark solutions for numerical methods.
KeywordsInfinite plate Elliptical hole Plane elasticity Analytical solution
- 2.Friederich, J., Pfaller, S., Steinmann, P.: Infinite plate with an elliptical hole under simple tension. http://www.ltm.fau.de/plate (2015)
- 5.Inglis, C.E.: Stresses in a plate due to the presence of cracks and sharp corners. Trans. Inst. Nav. Archit. Lond. 55, 219–230 (1913)Google Scholar
- 6.Khronos Group: WebGL–OpenGL ES 2.0 for the Web. https://www.khronos.org/webgl (2015)
- 7.Kirsch, G.: Die Theorie der Elastizität und die Bedürfnisse der Festigkeitslehre. Z. Ver. Dtsch. Ing. 42, 797–807 (1898)Google Scholar
- 8.Kolosov, G.V.: On an application of complex function theory to a plane problem of the mathematical theory of elasticity (in russian). Ph.D. thesis, Dorpat (1909)Google Scholar