Paradox of a particle’s trajectory moving on a string
This paper deals with the paradoxical properties of the solution of string vibration under a moving mass. The solutions published to date are not simple enough and cannot be applied to investigations in the entire range of mass speeds, including the overcritical range. We propose a formulation of the problem that allows us to reduce the problem to a second-order matrix differential equation. Its solution is characteristic of all features of the critical, subcritical, and overcritical motion. Results exhibit discontinuity of the mass trajectory at the end support point, which has not been previously reported in the literature. The closed solution in the case of a massless string is analyzed and the discontinuity is proved. Numerical results obtained for an inertial string demonstrate similar features. Small vibrations are analyzed, which is why the effect discussed in the paper is of purely mathematical interest. However, the phenomenon results in complexity in discrete solutions.
KeywordsMoving mass Vibrations of string Inertial load
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Panovko, J.: Historical outline of the theory of dynamic influence of moving load (in Russian). Eng. Acad. Air Forces 17, 8–38 (1948)Google Scholar
- 2.Jakushev, N.Z.: Certain problems of dynamics of the beam under moving load (in Russian). Kazan Univ. 12, 199–220 (1974)Google Scholar
- 3.Dmitrijev, A.S.: The analysis of solutions of problems with lateral oscillatory vibrations of various beam structures under the motion of non spring point load (in Russian). Mach. Dyn. Problems 24, 18– (1985)Google Scholar
- 4.Saller, H.: Einfluss bewegter Last auf Eisenbahnoberbau und Brücken. Kreidels Verlag, Berlin und Wiesbaden (1921)Google Scholar
- 7.Bolotin, W.W.: On the influence of moving load on bridges (in Russian). Rep. Moscow Univ. Railway Transp. MIIT 74, 269–296 (1950)Google Scholar
- 8.Bolotin, W.W.: Problems of bridge vibration under the action of the moving load (in Russian). Izvestiya AN SSSR, Mekh. Mashinostroenie 4, 109–115 (1961)Google Scholar
- 9.Morgaevskii, A.B.: Critical velocities calculation in the case of a beam under moving load (in Russian). Mekh. Mashinostroenie, Izvestiya AN SSSR, OTN 3, 176–178 (1959)Google Scholar
- 10.Szcześniak, W.: Inertial moving loads on beams (in Polish). Scientific Reports, Technical University of Warsaw, Civil Engineering 112 (1990)Google Scholar
- 13.Frỳba, L.: Vibrations of solids and structures under moving loads. Academia, Prague (1972)Google Scholar
- 23.Kaplunov, Y.D.: The torsional oscillations of a rod on a deformable foundation under the action of a moving inertial load (in Russian). Izv Akad Nauk SSSR, MTT 6, 174–177 (1986)Google Scholar