Impact of ab-interno trabeculectomy on Bruch’s membrane opening-based morphometry of the optic nerve head for glaucoma progression analysis
- 48 Downloads
To analyze the longitudinal change in Bruch’s membrane opening minimal rim width (BMO-MRW) and circumpapillary retinal nerve fiber layer (RNFL) thickness using spectral domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) after glaucoma surgery via ab-interno trabeculectomy in adult glaucoma patients.
Retrospective audit of 65 eyes of 65 participants undergoing ab-interno trabeculectomy using electroablation of the trabecular meshwork. In 53 eyes, surgery was combined with phacoemulsification and posterior chamber lens implantation. Pre- and postoperative SD-OCT examinations of the optic nerve head (ONH), intraocular pressure (IOP), and visual field data were analyzed. Longitudinal change in morphometric SD-OCT parameters of the ONH was compared and correlated to change in IOP and visual field function.
BMO-MRW increased significantly between baseline (BL) and follow-up (FU) within the first 6 months after surgery (BL = 167.85 ± 90 μm; FU = 175.59 ± 89 μm; p = 0.034). This increase correlated with postoperative lowering of IOP (rho = − 0.41; p = 0.016). Nine months after surgery (range, 7–12 months), there was no significant change in BMO-MRW (BL = 196.79 ± 79; FU = 196.47 ± 85 μm; p = 0.95), while in later follow-up, a decrease of BMO-MRW was found (BL = 175.18 ± 78; FU = 168.65 ± 72; p = 0.05). RNFL thickness was unchanged in early (p > 0.16) and significantly decreased in later follow-up (p = 0.009). Mean deviation (MD) of visual field function did not show a significant change before and after surgery.
Electroablative ab-interno trabeculectomy leads to a significant transient mild increase in BMO-MRW. This increase was shown to correlate with IOP lowering. Significant loss of BMO-MRW in later follow-up may reflect insufficient IOP reduction by surgery. The parameters RNFL thickness and MD seem less impacted directly by surgery.
KeywordsMorphometry of the optic nerve head Structural reversal of disc cupping Optical coherence tomography Glaucoma progression analysis Bruch’s membrane opening minimum rim width
Abbreviations and acronyms
best-corrected visual acuity
Bruch’s membrane opening
glaucoma drainage device
inner limiting membrane
microinvasive glaucoma surgery
minimum rim width
minimum rim area
optic nerve head
retinal nerve fiber layer
spectral domain optical coherence tomography
We thank all technical experts of our imaging laboratory and well as FOR 2240 “(Lymph-) Angiogenesis And Cellular Immunity In Inflammatory Diseases Of The Eye” for their support.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards. The Institutional Review Board (IRB)/Ethics Committee waived the need for approval due to local regulations on retrospective single-center studies.
- 3.Chauhan BC, O'Leary N, Almobarak FA, Reis AS, Yang H, Sharpe GP, Hutchison DM, Nicolela MT, Burgoyne CF (2013) Enhanced detection of open-angle glaucoma with an anatomically accurate optical coherence tomography-derived neuroretinal rim parameter. Ophthalmology 120(3):535–543. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2012.09.055 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Enders P, Adler W, Kiessling D, Weber V, Schaub F, Hermann MM, Dietlein T, Cursiefen C, Heindl LM (2018) Evaluation of two-dimensional Bruch’s membrane opening minimum rim area for glaucoma diagnostics in a large patient cohort. Acta Ophthalmol. https://doi.org/10.1111/aos.13698
- 5.Chauhan BC, Danthurebandara VM, Sharpe GP, Demirel S, Girkin CA, Mardin CY, Scheuerle AF, Burgoyne CF (2015) Bruch's membrane opening minimum rim width and retinal nerve fiber layer thickness in a normal white population: a multicenter study. Ophthalmology 122(9):1786–1794. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2015.06.001 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Pollet-Villard F, Chiquet C, Romanet JP, Noel C, Aptel F (2014) Structure-function relationships with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography retinal nerve fiber layer and optic nerve head measurements. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 55(5):2953–2962. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.13-13482 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Enders P, Adler W, Schaub F, Hermann MM, Dietlein T, Cursiefen C, Heindl LM (2016) Novel Bruch’s membrane opening minimum rim area equalizes disc size dependency and offers high diagnostic power for glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 57(15):6596–6603. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.16-20561 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Enders P, Schaub F, Adler W, Nikoluk R, Hermann MM, Heindl LM (2016) The use of Bruch's membrane opening-based optical coherence tomography of the optic nerve head for glaucoma detection in microdiscs. Br J Ophthalmol. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjophthalmol-2016-308957
- 9.Gardiner SK, Boey PY, Yang H, Fortune B, Burgoyne CF, Demirel S (2015) Structural measurements for monitoring change in glaucoma: comparing retinal nerve fiber layer thickness with minimum rim width and area. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 56(11):6886–6891. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.15-16701 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Mosaed S (2014) The first decade of global trabectome outcomes. Eur Ophthal Rev 08(02). https://doi.org/10.17925/eor.2014.08.02.113
- 13.Minckler D, Mosaed S, Dustin L, Ms BF (2008) Trabectome (trabeculectomy-internal approach): additional experience and extended follow-up. Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 106:149–159 discussion 159-160Google Scholar
- 14.Francis BA, Minckler D, Dustin L, Kawji S, Yeh J, Sit A, Mosaed S, Johnstone M, Trabectome Study G (2008) Combined cataract extraction and trabeculotomy by the internal approach for coexisting cataract and open-angle glaucoma: initial results. J Cataract Refract Surg 34(7):1096–1103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrs.2008.03.032 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Strouthidis NG, Fortune B, Yang H, Sigal IA, Burgoyne CF (2011) Effect of acute intraocular pressure elevation on the monkey optic nerve head as detected by spectral domain optical coherence tomography. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52(13):9431–9437. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.11-7922 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Lesk MR, Spaeth GL, Azuara-Blanco A, Araujo SV, Katz LJ, Terebuh AK, Wilson RP, Moster MR, Schmidt CM (1999) Reversal of optic disc cupping after glaucoma surgery analyzed with a scanning laser tomograph. Ophthalmology 106(5):1013–1018. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0161-6420(99)00526-6 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Gietzelt C, Lemke J, Schaub F, Hermann MM, Dietlein TS, Cursiefen C, Enders P, Heindl LM (2018) Structural reversal of disc cupping after trabeculectomy alters Bruch membrane opening-based parameters to assess neuroretinal rim. Am J Ophthalmol 194:143–152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajo.2018.07.016 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 27.Girard MJ, Tun TA, Husain R, Acharyya S, Haaland BA, Wei X, Mari JM, Perera SA, Baskaran M, Aung T, Strouthidis NG (2015) Lamina cribrosa visibility using optical coherence tomography: comparison of devices and effects of image enhancement techniques. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 56(2):865–874. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.14-14903 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.Sharma S, Tun TA, Baskaran M, Atalay E, Thakku SG, Liang Z, Milea D, Strouthidis NG, Aung T, Girard MJ (2018) Effect of acute intraocular pressure elevation on the minimum rim width in normal, ocular hypertensive and glaucoma eyes. Br J Ophthalmol 102(1):131–135. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjophthalmol-2017-310232 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Fortune B, Yang H, Strouthidis NG, Cull GA, Grimm JL, Downs JC, Burgoyne CF (2009) The effect of acute intraocular pressure elevation on peripapillary retinal thickness, retinal nerve fiber layer thickness, and retardance. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50(10):4719–4726. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.08-3289 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Strouthidis NG, Fortune B, Yang H, Sigal IA, Burgoyne CF (2011) Longitudinal change detected by spectral domain optical coherence tomography in the optic nerve head and peripapillary retina in experimental glaucoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52(3):1206–1219. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.10-5599 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Gietzelt C, Lemke J, Schaub F, Hermann MM, Dietlein TS, Cursiefen C, Enders P, Heindl LM (2018) Structural reversal of disc cupping after trabeculectomy alters Bruch's membrane opening-based parameters to assess neuroretinal rim. Am J Ophthalmol. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajo.2018.07.016