The effect of interferon β-1a on optic neuritis relapse in patients with multiple sclerosis
- First Online:
- 113 Downloads
To evaluate the clinical effect of interferon β-1a on optic neuritis (ON) relapse in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) in Taiwan.
Data were collected from 23 MS patients with ON at National Taiwan University Hospital between January 1, 1993 and February 1, 2007. Twenty-three MS patients with ON received interferon β-1a (Rebif) 44 µg via subcutaneous injection three times weekly. All patients received corticosteroids pulse therapy followed by oral prednisolone for acute ON. The annual relapse rate (ARR) of ON in these MS patients before and after the use of interferon β-1a (Rebif) was the main clinical parameter of outcome in this study.
The ARR of ON was lower in the posttreatment period than in the pretreatment period (P = 0.0068). Thirteen patients (56.5%) had improved final visual acuity (>2 lines), and the other ten patients (43.5%) had stable final visual outcome (−2 lines < X < 2 lines). In addition, no recurrence of ON was noted in 15 patients (65.2%) during the posttreatment period.
The use of interferon β-1a 44 µg via subcutaneous injection three times weekly did not increase the ON attacks in MS patients receiving this treatment. In addition, beneficial effects were found with the use of interferon β-1a on these patients.
KeywordsOptic neuritis Multiple sclerosis Interferon β-1a Immune-modulation agents
- 5.Rodriquez M, Siva A, Cross SA, O'Brien PC, Kurland LT (1995) Optic neuritis: a population-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Neurology 45:244–250Google Scholar
- 18.McDonald WI, Compston A, Edan G, Goodkin D, Hartung HP, Lublin FD, McFarland HF, Paty DW, Polman CH, Reingold SC, Sandberg-Wollheim M, Sibley W, Thompson A, van den Noort S, Weinshenker BY, Wolinsky JS (2001) Recommended diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines from the international panel on the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 50:121–127CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Perkin GD, Rose FC (1979) Optic neuritis and its differential diagnosis. Oxford Medical Publications, EnglandGoogle Scholar
- 23.Beck RW, Cleary PA, Anderson MM Jr, Keltner JL, Shults WT, Kaufman DI, Buckley EG, Corbett JJ, Kupersmith MJ, Miller NR, Savino PJ, Guy JR, Trobe JD, McCrary JA III, Smith CH, Chrousos GA, Thompson HS, Katz BJ, Brodsky MC, Goodwin JA, Atwell CW (1992) A randomized, controlled trial of corticosteroids in the treatment of acute optic neuritis. N Engl J Med 326:581–588PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Kappos L, Polman CH, Freedman MS, Edan G, Hartung HP, Miller DH, Montalban X, Barkhof F, Bauer L, Jakobs P, Pohl C, Sandbrink R (2006) Treatment with interferon beta-1b delays conversion to clinically definite and McDonald MS in patients with clinically isolated syndromes. Neurology 67:1242–1249CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar