What’s new in the surgical management of traumatic brain injury?
- 350 Downloads
KeywordsNeurosurgery Decompressive craniectomy Craniotomy Intracranial haematoma Cerebrospinal fluid Skull fracture
Angelos Kolias is supported by a Royal College of Surgeons of England Research Fellowship, an NIHR Academic Clinical Fellowship, and a Raymond and Beverly Sackler Studentship. Peter Hutchinson is supported by an NIHR Research Professorship, the NIHR Cambridge Biomedical Research Centre, and has been appointed as the Surgical Specialty Lead for Neurosurgery, Royal College of Surgeons of England Clinical Research Initiative.
Conflicts of interest
Peter Hutchinson has delivered lectures sponsored by Codman and is a Director of Technicam Ltd., Newton Abbot, Devon, UK (a manufacturer of cranial access devices for neuromonitoring).
- 2.Stocchetti N, Picetti E, Berardino M, Buki A, Chesnut RM, Fountas KN, Horn P, Hutchinson PJ, Iaccarino C, Kolias AG, Koskinen LO, Latronico N, Maas AI, Payen JF, Rosenthal G, Sahuquillo J, Signoretti S, Soustiel JF, Servadei F (2014) Clinical applications of intracranial pressure monitoring in traumatic brain injury: report of the Milan consensus conference. Acta Neurochir (Wien) (Epub ahead of print)Google Scholar
- 5.https://www.braintrauma.org/coma-guidelines/searchable-guidelines/. Accessed 1 November 2014
- 7.http://www.nets.nihr.ac.uk/projects/hta/123557. Accessed 1 November 2014
- 8.Gregson BA, Rowan EN, Mitchell PM, Unterberg A, McColl EM, Chambers IR, McNamee P, Mendelow AD (2012) Surgical trial in traumatic intracerebral hemorrhage (STITCH(Trauma)): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 13:193. doi: 10.1186/1745-6215-13-193 PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Cooper DJ, Rosenfeld JV, Murray L, Arabi YM, Davies AR, D’Urso P, Kossmann T, Ponsford J, Seppelt I, Reilly P, Wolfe R, DECRA Trial Investigators, Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society Clinical Trials Group (2011) Decompressive craniectomy in diffuse traumatic brain injury. N Engl J Med 364:1493–1502CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar