CHMP2B mutations are rare in French families with frontotemporal lobar degeneration
- 175 Downloads
Two C-truncating CHMP2B (chromatin modifying protein 2B) mutations were recently found in Danish and Belgian families with autosomal dominant forms of frontotemporal lobar degeneration (FTLD). In addition, few CHMP2B missense mutations of uncertain pathogenic role were reported in several families with FTLD or FTLD associated with motoneuron disease (FTLD-MND). In order to determine the genetic contribution of CHMP2B mutations in FTLD and FTLD-MND families, we analyzed the CHMP2B gene in 198 French probands with familial FTLD and FTLD-MND. One CHMP2B missense variant was found in a proband with familial FTLD (0.8%). The pathogenic role of CHMP2B missense variants is unclear, however the pSer194Leu substitution, located in the C-terminal domain of the protein, was predicted to alter the stability of the protein by in silico analyses. We conclude that CHMP2B mutations represent a rare cause of familial FTLD and they are not implicated in familial FTLD-MND in French patients. The previously reported C-truncating CHMP2B mutations may be private to the Danish and Belgian pedigrees.
KeywordsCHMP2B FTLD ALS MND ESCRT-III
We thank Ms. Lydia Guennec, Isabelle Lagroua, and Christelle Dussert (DNA and cell bank of CR-ICM UMRS_975, Hôpital de la Salpêtrière, Paris) for their excellent technical assistance and the Dr. Sophie Rivaud-Pechoux for statistical analyses (CR-ICM UMRS_975, Hôpital de la Salpêtrière, Paris). This study was supported by ANR R6363DS (to A.B.), France Alzheimer association (to A.B), ANR R08104DS (to ILB), and ARsla (to A.B.).
Conflict of interest statement
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 3.Rosso SM, Donker Kaat L, Baks T, Joosse M, de Koning I, Pijnenburg Y, de Jong D, Dooijes D, Kamphorst W, Ravid R, Niermeijer MF, Verheij F, Kremer HP, Scheltens P, van Duijn CM, Heutink P, van Swieten JC (2003) Frontotemporal dementia in The Netherlands: patient characteristics and prevalence estimates from a population-based study. Brain 126(Pt 9):2016–2022CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Skibinski G, Parkinson NJ, Brown JM, Chakrabarti L, Lloyd SL, Hummerich H, Nielsen JE, Hodges JR, Spillantini MG, Thusgaard T, Brandner S, Brun A, Rossor MN, Gade A, Johannsen P, Sørensen SA, Gydesen S, Fisher EM, Collinge J (2005) Mutations in the endosomal ESCRTIII-complex subunit CHMP2B in frontotemporal dementia. Nat Genet 37(8):806–808CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Van der Zee J, Urwin H, Engelborghs S, Bruyland M, Vandenberghe R, Dermaut B, De Pooter T, Peeters K, Santens P, De Deyn PP, Fisher EM, Collinge J, Isaacs AM, Van Broeckhoven C (2008) CHMP2B C-truncating mutations in frontotemporal lobar degeneration are associated with an aberrant endosomal phenotype in vitro. Hum Mol Genet 17(2):313–322PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Momeni P, Rogaeva E, Van Deerlin V, Yuan W, Grafman J, Tierney M, Huey E, Bell J, Morris CM, Kalaria RN, van Rensburg SJ, Niehaus D, Potocnik F, Kawarai T, Salehi-Rad S, Sato C, St George-Hyslop P, Hardy J (2006) Genetic variability in CHMP2B and frontotemporal dementia. Neurodegener Dis 3(3):129–133CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Parkinson N, Ince PG, Smith MO, Highley R, Skibinski G, Andersen PM, Morrison KE, Pall HS, Hardiman O, Collinge J, Shaw PJ, Fisher EM MRC, Proteomics in ALS Study; FReJA Consortium (2006) ALS phenotypes with mutations in CHMP2B (charged multivesicular body protein 2B). Neurology 67(6):1074–1077CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Brooks BR, Miller RG, Swash M, Munsat TL, World Federation of Neurology Research Group on Motor Neuron Diseases (2000) El Escorial revisited: revised criteria for the diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Other Motor Neuron Disord 1(5):293–299CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Urwin H, Authier A, Nielsen JE, Metcalf D, Powell C, Froud K, Malcolm DS, Holm I, Johannsen P, Brown J, Fisher EM, van der Zee J, Bruyland M, FReJA Consortium, Van Broeckhoven C, Collinge J, Brandner S, Futter C, Isaacs AM (2010) Disruption of endocytic trafficking in frontotemporal dementia with CHMP2B mutations. Hum Mol Genet 19(11):2228–2238CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Cox LE, Ferraiuolo L, Goodall EF, Heath PR, Higginbottom A, Mortiboys H, Hollinger HC, Hartley JA, Brockington A, Burness CE, Morrison KE, Wharton SB, Grierson AJ, Ince PG, Kirby J, Shaw PJ (2010) Mutations in CHMP2B in lower motor neuron predominant amyotrophic lateral sclerosis ALS. PLoS One 5(3):9872CrossRefGoogle Scholar