Corticosteroids and plasma exchange in multiple sclerosis
- 270 Downloads
Corticosteroids (CS) remain a mainstay of treatment for relapses in multiple sclerosis (MS) and optic neuritis. Currently, there is not enough evidence that long-term corticosteroid treatment delays progression of long-term disability in patients with MS. Likewise, it is unclear whether there are, in fact, true differences among the various CS agents, doses, and their applications in specific pulse and tapering regimens.
In some patients suffering from severe steroid-resistant relapses, the clinical response to CS treatment may be insufficient. Such patients may obtain clinical benefit from subsequent plasma exchange (PE). PE is increasingly considered as an individual treatment decision in patients with severe relapses not properly responding to CS. Because of the lack of appropriate studies, PE is not recommended as a permanent disease-modifying strategy in MS patients.
Key wordssteroid, corticosteroid plasma exchange plasmapheresis multiple sclerosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anonymous (1991) The Canadian cooperative trial of cyclophosphamide and plasma exchange in progressive multiple sclerosis. The Canadian Cooperative Multiple Sclerosis Study Group. Lancet 337:441–446Google Scholar
- 5.Beck RW, Cleary PA, Anderson MM Jr, Keltner JL, Shults WT, Kaufman DI, Buckley EG, Corbett JJ, Kupersmith MJ, Miller NR, et al. (1992) A randomized, controlled trial of corticosteroids in the treatment of acute optic neuritis. The Optic Neuritis Study Group. N Engl J Med 326:581–588PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ciccone A, Beretta S, Brusaferri F, Galea I, Protti A, Spreafico C (2008) Corticosteroids for the long-term treatment in multiple sclerosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev:CD006264Google Scholar
- 7.Cohen JA, Calabresi PA, Chakraborty S, Edwards KR, Eickenhorst T, Felton WL 3rd, Fisher E, Fox RJ, Goodman AD, Hara-Cleaver C, Hutton GJ, Imrey PB, Ivancic DM, Mandell BF, Perryman JE, Scott TF, Skaramagas TT, Zhang H (2008) Avonex Combination Trial in relapsing – remitting MS: rationale, design and baseline data. Mult Scler 14:370–382PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Filippini G, Brusaferri F, Sibley WA, Citterio A, Ciucci G, Midgard R, Candelise L (2000) Corticosteroids or ACTH for acute exacerbations in multiple sclerosis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev:CD001331Google Scholar
- 15.Keegan M, Konig F, McClelland R, Bruck W, Morales Y, Bitsch A, Panitch H, Lassmann H, Weinshenker B, Rodriguez M, Parisi J, Lucchinetti CF (2005) Relation between humoral pathological changes in multiple sclerosis and response to therapeutic plasma exchange. Lancet 366:579–582PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar