The Frontal Assessment Battery (FAB) in Parkinson’s disease and correlations with formal measures of executive functioning
- First Online:
- 639 Downloads
The Frontal Assessment Battery (FAB) is a short tool for the assessment of executive functions consisting of six subtests that explore different abilities related to the frontal lobes. Several studies have indicated that executive dysfunction is the main neuropsychological feature in Parkinson’s disease (PD).
To evaluate the clinical usefulness of the FAB in identifying executive dysfunction in PD; to determine if FAB scores in PD are correlated with formal measures of executive functions; and to provide normative data for the Portuguese version of the FAB.
The study involved 122 healthy participants and 50 idiopathic PD patients. We compared FAB scores in normal controls and in PD patients matched for age, education and Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) score. In PD patients, FAB results were compared to the performance on tests of executive functioning.
In the healthy subjects, FAB scores varied as a function of age, education and MMSE. In PD, FAB scores were significantly decreased compared to normal controls, and correlated with measures of executive functions such as phonemic and semantic verbal fluency tests, Wisconsin Card Sorting Test and Trail Making Test Part A and Part B.
The FAB is a useful tool for the screening of executive dysfunction in PD, showing good discriminant and concurrent validities. Normative data provided for the Portuguese version of this test improve the accuracy and confidence in the clinical use of the FAB.
Key wordsexecutive functions Frontal Assessment Battery (FAB) Parkinson’s disease Portuguese norms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Baeta E (2002) Bateria para avaliação neuropsicológica de adultos com epilepsia (Battery for neuropsychological assessment of adults with epilepsy). Psicologia 16:79–96Google Scholar
- 4.Beato R, Nitrini R, Formigoni A, Caramelli P (2007) Brazilian version of the Frontal Assessment Battery (FAB): Preliminary data on administration to healthy elderly. Dement Neuropsychol 1:59–65Google Scholar
- 5.Burgess P (2003) Assessment of executive function. In: Halligan P, Kischka U, Marshall J (eds) Handbook of Clinical Neuropsychology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp 302–321Google Scholar
- 10.Grant D, Berg A (1993) Wisconsin Card Sorting Test. USA: Psychological Assessment Resources, IncGoogle Scholar
- 11.Guerreiro M, Silva AP, Botelho MA, Castro-Caldas A, Garcia C (2003) Avaliação Breve do Estado Mental (Brief assessment of mental state). In: Mendonça A, Garcia C, Guerreiro M (eds) Grupo de Estudos de Envelhecimento Cerebral e Demência: Escalas e Testes na Demência, pp 27–32Google Scholar
- 15.Lavarone A, Ronga B, Pellegrino L, Loré E, Vitaliano S, Galeone F, Carlomagno S (2004) The Frontal Assessment Battery (FAB): Normative data from an Italian sample and performance of patients with Alzheimer’s disease and frontotemporal dementia. Func Neurol 19(3):191–195Google Scholar
- 16.Lezak M, Howieson D, Loring D (2004) Neuropsychological assessment (4th Edition). Oxford University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 18.Morris R, Worsley C (2003) Neuropsychological presentation of Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders. In: Halligan P, Kischka U, Marshall J (eds) Handbook of Clinical Neuropsychology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp 506–527Google Scholar
- 21.Riedel O, Klotsche J, Spottke A, Deuschl G, Forstl H, Henn F, Heuser I, Oertel W, Reichmann H, Riederer P, Trenkwalder C, Dodel R, Wittchen H (2008) Cognitive impairment in 873 patients with idiopathic Parkinson’s disease: Results from the German Study on Epidemiology of Parkinson’s Disease with Dementia (GEPAD). J Neurol 255(2):255–264CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Rodriguez del Alamo A, Catalán Alonso MJ, Carrasco Marín L (2003) FAB: A preliminar Spanish application of the frontal assessment battery to 11 groups of patients. Rev Neurol 36(7):605–608Google Scholar
- 23.Simões MR (2004) Matrizes Progressivas Coloridas de Raven. In: Almeida L, Simões MR, Machado C, Gonçalves M (eds) Instrumentos de avaliação psicológica validados para a população portuguesa (Psychological assessment tools validated for the Portuguese population). Editora Quarteto: Coimbra, pp 141–171 (Vol II)Google Scholar
- 25.Wechsler D (in press). Wechsler Memory Scale – Third Edition (WMS-III). Lisboa: Cegoc-TeaGoogle Scholar
- 26.Worthington AD (2003) The natural recovery and treatment of executive disorders. In: Halligan P, Kischka U, Marshall J (eds) Handbook of Clinical Neuropsychology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp 322–339Google Scholar