Metabolic profile determination of 25N-NBOMe in human liver microsomes by liquid chromatography-quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry
2-(2,5-Dimethoxy-4-nitrophenyl)-N-(2-methoxybenzyl)ethanamine (25N-NBOMe, 2C-N-NBOMe, NBOMe-2C-N) is a novel synthetic psychoactive substance of the phenethylamine chemical class. A few metabolism studies have been conducted for 25I-NBOMe, 25B-NBOMe, and 25C-NBOMe, and others, whereas 25N-NBOMe metabolism has not been researched. In this study, the in vitro metabolism of 25N-NBOMe was investigated with human liver microsomes, and the reaction mixture was analyzed using liquid chromatography-quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry (LC-Q-TOF/MS). Formation of 14 metabolites (M1–M14) was yielded with incubation of 25N-NBOMe in human liver microsomes in the presence of NADPH. The metabolites were structurally characterized on the basis of accurate mass analysis and MS/MS fragmentation patterns. The biotransformations included hydroxylation, O-demethylation, N-dealkylation, nitro reduction, dehydrogenation, carbonylation, and combinations thereof. Hydroxyl metabolite was the most abundant compound after the phase I process. These results provide helpful information establishing biomarkers in case of 25N-NBOMe ingestion.
Keywords25N-NBOMe Human liver microsomes Metabolism LC-Q-TOF/MS
This study was supported by the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety of Korea (17181MFDS416).
Compliance with ethical standards
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.World Health Organization (WHO) (2014) WHO Agenda item 4.19 Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Thirty-Sixth Meeting. http://www.who.int/medicines/areas/quality_safety/4_19_EPR_2.pdf. Accessed 12 Feb 2018
- 5.World Health Organization (WHO) (2014) WHO Agenda item 4.17 Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Thirty-Sixth Meeting. http://www.who.int/medicines/areas/quality_safety/4_17_EPR_1.pdf. Accessed 12 Feb 2018
- 6.World Health Organization (WHO) (2014) WHO Agenda item 4.18 Expert Committee on Drug Dependence Thirty-Sixth Meeting. http://www.who.int/medicines/areas/quality_safety/4_18_EPR_1.pdf. Accessed 12 Feb 2018
- 7.European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA) (2014) EMCDDA-Europol Joint Report on a new psychoactive substance: 25I-NBOMe, http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/attachements.cfm/att_222581_EN_EMCDDA-Europol_Joint%20Report_25I-NBOMe.pdf. Accessed 12 Feb 2018
- 8.Caspar AT, Helfer AG, Michely JA, Auwärter V, Brandt SD, Meyer MR, Maurer HH (2015) Studies on the metabolism and toxicological detection of the new psychoactive designer drug 2-(4-iodo-2,5-dimethoxyphenyl)-N-[(2-methoxyphenyl)methyl]ethanamine (25I-NBOMe) in human and rat urine using GC-MS, LC-MS(n), and LC-HR-MS/MS. Anal Bioanal Chem 407:6697–6719CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Caspar AT, Westphal F, Meyer MR, Maurer HH (2018) LC-high resolution-MS/MS for identification of 69 metabolites of the new psychoactive substance 1-(4-ethylphenyl-)-N-[(2-methoxyphenyl)methyl] propane-2-amine (4-EA-NBOMe) in rat urine and human liver S9 incubates and comparison of its screening power with further MS techniques. Anal Bioanal Chem 410:897–912CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar