Genetic sub-structure in western Mediterranean populations revealed by 12 Y-chromosome STR loci
- 247 Downloads
Haplotype and allele frequencies of 12 Y-chromosome short tandem repeat (Y-STR) loci (DYS19, DYS389I, DYS389II, DYS390, DYS391, DYS392, DYS393, DYS385 a/b, DYS437, DYS438 and DYS439) included in the Powerplex® Y System were determined in seven western Mediterranean populations from Valencia, Majorca, Ibiza (eastern Spain), Sicily and three Calabrian provinces (southern Italy). Amongst the 554 males included in the study, 443 different haplotypes were observed of which 372 were only observed once. The other haplotypes were shared by two to seven men. The overall haplotype diversity was 0.9988 ± 0.0002. These Y-STRs markers showed a low capacity of discrimination (56.3%) in the Ibiza population probably due to genetic drift. Comparisons between the populations studied and other neighbouring populations showed a clear genetic sub-structure in the western Mediterranean area.
KeywordsY-STRs Eastern Spain Ibiza Sicily Calabria
This work was partially supported by grants PRDT-2003-12099 and PRDIB-2006-687872 from the Direcció General de R+D+I (Comunitat Autònoma de les Illes Balears) and by Ellen and Aage Andersen’s Foundation.
- 1.Alarco Von Perfall C (1981) Cultura y personalidad en Ibiza. Editora Nacional, MadridGoogle Scholar
- 2.Balaresque P, Parkin EJ, Roewer L et al (2008) Genomic complexity of the Y-STR DYS19: inversions, deletions and founder lineages carrying duplications. Int J Legal Med (in press)Google Scholar
- 10.Comas D, Calafell F, Benchemsi N, Helal A, Lefranc G, Stoneking M, Batzer MA, Bertranpetit J, Sajantilla A (2000) Alu insertion polymorphisms in NW Africa and the Iberian peninsula: evidence for a strong genetic boundary through the Gibraltar straits. Hum Genet 107:312–329PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Excoffier L, Laval G, Schneider S (2005) Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evol Bioinf Online 1:47–50Google Scholar
- 12.Felsenstein J (2007) PHYLIP (Phylogeny Inference Package) version 3.67. Distributed by the author. Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, SeattleGoogle Scholar
- 17.Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41:95–98Google Scholar
- 22.Macabich I (1966) Historia de Ibiza. Volumen I. Daedalus, Palma de MallorcaGoogle Scholar