Analysis of Y-chromosomal SNP haplogroups and STR haplotypes in an Algerian population sample
- 504 Downloads
The distribution of Y-chromosomal single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) haplogroups and short tandem repeat (STR) haplotypes was determined in a sample of 102 unrelated men of Arab origin from northwestern Algeria (Oran area). A total of nine different haplogroups were identified by a panel of 22 binary markers. The most common haplogroups observed in the Algerian population were E3b2 (45.1%) and J1 (22.5%). Y-STR typing by a 17-loci multiplex system allowed 93 haplotypes to be defined (88 were unique). Striking differences in the allele distribution and gene diversity of Y-STR markers between haplogroups could be found. In particular, intermediate alleles at locus DYS458 specifically characterized the haplotypes of individuals carrying haplogroup J1. All the intermediate alleles shared a common repeat sequence structure, supporting the hypothesis that the variant originated from a single mutational event.
KeywordsY chromosome Single nucleotide polymorphism Short tandem repeat Algeria DYS458
The continuing support of the Compagnia di San Paolo to C. Torre’s laboratory is gratefully acknowledged. We also thank Dr Boudjema A, Medienne Benchekor S and Meghoufel N for assistance in the collection of the samples.
- 2.Willuweit S, Roewer L (2007) Y chromosome haplotype reference database (YHRD): Update. FSI: Genetics 1:83–87Google Scholar
- 8.Oefner PJ, Underhill PA (1998) DNA mutation detection using denaturing high performance liquid chromatography (DHPLC). In: Dracopoli NC et al (eds) Current protocols in human genetics, Suppl 19. Wiley, NewYork, pp 7.10.1–7.10.12Google Scholar
- 11.Schneider S, Roessli D, Excoffier L (2000) Arlequin Version 2.000: A Software for Population Genetics Data Analysis, Genetics and Biometry Laboratory, University of Geneva, SwitzerlandGoogle Scholar
- 12.Felsenstein J (1989) PHYLIP: phylogeny inference package (version 3.2). Cladistics 5:164–166Google Scholar
- 13.Delfiner P (1976) Linear estimation of non-stationary spatial phenomena. In: Guarasio M, David M, Haijbegts C (eds) Advanced geostatistics in the mining industry. Reidel, Dordrecht, pp 49–68Google Scholar
- 21.Alves C, Gomes V, Prata MJ, Amorim A, Gusmao L (2007) Population data for Y-chromosome haplotypes defined by 17 STRs (AmpFlSTR YFiler) in Portugal. Forensic Sci Int DOI 10.1016/j.forsciint.2006.10.002