Drosophila SUUR protein associates with PCNA and binds chromatin in a cell cycle-dependent manner
Drosophila SUUR (Suppressor of UnderReplication) protein was shown to regulate the DNA replication elongation process in endocycling cells. This protein is also known to be the component of silent chromatin in polyploid and diploid cells. To mark the different cell cycle stages, we used immunostaining patterns of PCNA, the main structural component of replication fork. We demonstrate that SUUR chromatin binding is dynamic throughout the endocyle in Drosophila salivary glands. We observed that SUUR chromosomal localization changed along with PCNA pattern and these proteins largely co-localized during the late S-phase in salivary glands. The hypothesized interaction between SUUR and PCNA was confirmed by co-immunoprecipitation from embryonic nuclear extracts. Our findings support the idea that the effect of SUUR on replication elongation depends on the cell cycle stage and can be mediated through its physical interaction with replication fork.
KeywordsSalivary Gland Replication Fork Polytene Chromosome Replication Machinery Cell Cycle Stage
We thank S. Kulemzin for help with the FPLC assay. We are grateful to Prof. H. Saumweber for providing anti-tubulin antibodies, S. Elgin for providing anti-HP1 antibodies, and to A.A. Alekseyenko for providing MSL3-TAP flies. We thank E. Belyaeva for critical reading and comments on the manuscript. The research was funded by Program of RAS “Molecular and Cellular Biology” 22.4; Integration project of SB RAS #82, and the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (#12-04-31777-mol_a and #12-04-00874-а).
- Demakova OV, Pokholkova GV, Kolesnikova TD, Demakov SA, Andreyeva EN, Belyaeva ES, Zhimulev IF (2007) The SU(VAR)3-9/HP1 complex differentially regulates the compaction state and degree of underreplication of X chromosome pericentric heterochromatin in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 175:609–620PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kolesnikova TD, Semeshin VF, Andreyeva EN, Zykov IA, Kokoza EB, Kalashnikova DA, Belyaeva ES, Zhimulev IF (2011) Induced decondensation of heterochromatin in Drosophila melanogaster polytene chromosomes under condition of ectopic expression of the supressor of underreplication gene. Fly 5:181–190PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ranz JM, Diaz-Castillo C, Petersen R (2011) Conserved gene order at the nuclear periphery in Drosophila. Mol Biol Evol 29:13–16Google Scholar
- Zhimulev IF, Belyaeva ES, Makunin IV, Pirrotta V, Volkova EI, Alekseyenko AA, Andreyeva EN, Makarevich GF, Boldyreva LV, Nanayev RA, Demakova OV (2003a) Influence of the SuUR gene on intercalary heterochromatin in Drosophila melanogaster polytene chromosomes. Chromosoma 111:377–398PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhimulev IF, Belyaeva ES, Semeshin VF, Shloma VV, Makunin IV, Volkova EI (2003b) Overexpression of the SuUR gene induces reversible modifications at pericentric, telomeric and intercalary heterochromatin of Drosophila melanogaster polytene chromosomes. J Cell Sci 116:169–176PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar