Abscopal effect of boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT): proof of principle in an experimental model of colon cancer
The aim of the present study was to evaluate, for the first time, the abscopal effect of boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT). Twenty-six BDIX rats were inoculated subcutaneously with 1 × 106 DHD/K12/TRb syngeneic colon cancer cells in the right hind flank. Three weeks post-inoculation, the right leg of 12 rats bearing the tumor nodule was treated with BPA-BNCT (BPA-Boronophenylalanine) at the RA-3 nuclear reactor located in Buenos Aires, Argentina, at an absorbed dose of 7.5 Gy to skin as the dose-limiting tissue. The remaining group of 14 tumor-bearing rats were left untreated and used as control. Two weeks post-BNCT, 1 × 106 DHD/K12/TRb cells were injected subcutaneously in the contralateral left hind flank of each of the 26 BDIX rats. Tumor volume in both legs was measured weekly for 7 weeks to determine response to BNCT in the right leg and to assess a potential influence of BNCT in the right leg on tumor development in the left leg. Within the BNCT group, a statistically significant reduction was observed in contralateral left tumor volume in animals whose right leg tumor responded to BNCT (post-treatment/pre-treatment tumor volume <1) versus animals who failed to respond (post/pre ≥1), i.e., 13 ± 15 vs 271 ± 128 mm3. In addition, a statistically significant reduction in contralateral left leg tumor volume was observed in BNCT-responsive animals (post/pre <1) vs untreated animals, i.e., 13 ± 15 vs 254 ± 251 mm3. The present study performed in a simple animal model provides proof of principle that the positive response of a tumor to BNCT is capable of inducing an abscopal effect.
KeywordsBoron neutron capture therapy BNCT Abscopal effect Boronophenylalanine (BPA) Nuclear reactor RA-3
The authors acknowledge the expert assistance of Nuclear Reactor RA-3 staff.
This study was funded by Comisión Nacional de Energía Atómica, Argentina.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Author VA Trivillin declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author ECC Pozzi declares that he has no conflict of interest. Author LL Colombo declares that he has no conflict of interest. Author SI Thorp declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author MA Garabalino declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author A Monti Hughes declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author SJ González declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author RO Farías declares that he has no conflict of interest. Author P Curotto declares that she has no conflict of interest. Author GA Santa Cruz declares that he has no conflict of interest. Author DG Carando declares that he has no conflict of interest. Author AE Schwint declares that she has no conflict of interest.
All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
Human and animal rights
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
- Camphausen K, Moses MA, Ménard C, Sproull M, Beecken WD, Folkman J, O´Reilly MS (2003) Radiation abscopal antitumor effect is mediated through p53. Cancer Res 63(8):1990–1993Google Scholar
- Chakravarty PK, Alfieri A, Thomas EK, Beri V, Tanaka KE, Vikram B, Guha C (1999) Flt3-ligand administration after radiation therapy prolongs survival in a murine model of metastatic lung cancer. Cancer Res 59(24):6028–6032Google Scholar
- Demaria S, Formenti SC (2012) Radiation as an immunological adjuvant: current evidence on dose and fractionation. Front Oncol 2:153Google Scholar
- Garabalino MA, Monti Hughes A, Molinari AJ, Heber EM, Pozzi ECC, Cardoso JE, Colombo LL, Nievas S, Nigg DW, Aromando RF, Itoiz ME, Trivillin VA, Schwint AE (2011) Boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) for the treatment of liver metastases: biodistribution studies of boron compounds in an experimental model. Radiat Environ Biophys 50(1):199–207CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Garabalino MA, Heber EM, Monti Hughes A, González SJ, Molinari AJ, Pozzi ECC, Nievas S, Itoiz ME, Aromando RF, Nigg DW, Bauer W, Trivillin VA, Schwint AE (2013) Biodistribution of sodium borocaptate (BSH) for boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) in an oral cancer model. Radiat Environ Biophys 52:351–361CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- González SJ, Bonomi MR, Santa Cruz GA, Blaumann HR, Calzetta Larrieu OA, Menéndez P, Jiménez Rebagliati R, Longhino J, Feld DB, Dagrosa MA, Argerich C, Castiglia SG, Batistoni DA, Liberman SJ, Roth BM (2004) First BNCT treatment of a skin melanoma in Argentina: dosimetric analysis and clinical outcome. Appl Radiat Isot 61(5):1101–1105CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- González SJ, Casal M, Pereira MD, Santa Cruz GA, Carando DG, Blaumann H, Bonomi M, Calzetta Larrieu O, Feld D, Fernández C, Gossio S, Jiménez Rebagliatti R, Kessler J, Longhino J, Menéndez P, Nievas S, Roth BM, Liberman SJ (2009) Tumor control and normal tissue complications in BNCT treatment of nodular melanoma: a search for predictive quantities. Appl Radiat Isot 67:S153–S156CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Grimaldi AM, Simeone E, Giannarelli D, Muto P, Falivene S, Borzillo V, Giugliano FM, Sandomenico F, Petrillo A, Curvietto M, Esposito A, Paone M, Palla M, Palmieri G, Carraco C, Ciliberto G, Mozzillo N, Ascierto PA (2014) Abscopal effects of radiotherapy on advanced melanoma patients who progressed after ipilimumab immunotherapy. Oncoimmunology 3:e28780CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hartford A, Gohongi T, Fukumura D, Jain R (2000) Irradiation of a primary tumor, unlike surgical removal, enhances angiogenesis suppression at a distal site: potential role of host-tumor interaction. Cancer Res 60:2128–2131Google Scholar
- Heber EM, Hawthorne MF, Kueffer PJ, Garabalino MA, Thorp SI, Pozzi ECC, Monti Hughes A, Maitz CA, Jalisatgi SS, Nigg DW, Curotto P, Trivillin VA, Schwint AE (2014) Therapeutic efficacy of boron neutron capture therapy mediated by boron rich liposomes for oral cancer in the hamster cheek pouch model. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111(45):16077–16081ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kankaanranta L, Seppälä T, Koivunoro H, Saarilahti K, Atula T, Collan J, Salli E, Kortesniemi M, Uusi-Simola J, Välimäki P, Mäkitie A, Seppänen M, Minn H, Revitzer H, Kouri M, Kotiluoto P, Seren T, Auterinen I, Savolainen S, Joensuu H (2012) Boron neutron capture therapy in the treatment of locally recurred head-and-neck cancer: final analysis of a phase I/II trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 82(1):e67–e75CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Khan FM, Gerbi BJ (2012) Treatment planning in radiation oncology, 3rd edn. Lippincot Williams & Wilkins, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- Kreimann EL, Itoiz ME, Dagrosa A, Garavaglia R, Farías S, Batistoni D, Schwint AE (2001a) The hamster cheek pouch as a model of oral cancer for boron neutron capture therapy studies: selective delivery of boron by boronophenylalanine. Cancer Res 61:8775–8781Google Scholar
- Kreimann EL, Itoiz ME, Longhino J, Blaumann H, Calzetta O, Schwint AE (2001b) Boron neutron capture therapy for the treatment of oral cancer in the hamster cheek pouch model. Cancer Res (Advances in Brief) 61:8638–8642Google Scholar
- Lock M, Muinuddin A, Kocha WI, Dinniwell R, Rodrigues G, D’souza D (2015) Abscopal effects: case report and emerging opportunities. Cureus 7(10):e344Google Scholar
- Masunaga S, Ono K, Takahashi A, Sakurai Y, Ohnishi K, Kobayashi T, Kinashi Y, Takagaki M, Ohnishi T (2002) Impact of the p53 status of the tumor cells on the effect of reactor neutron beam irradiation, with emphasis on the response of intratumor quiescent cells. Jpn J Cancer Res 93(12):1366–1377CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Molinari AJ, Pozzi EC, Monti Hughes A, Heber EM, Garabalino MA, Thorp SI, Miller M, Itoiz ME, Aromando RF, Nigg DW, Quintana J, Santa Cruz GA, Trivillin VA, Schwint AE (2011) “Sequential” boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT): a novel approach to BNCT for the treatment of oral cancer in the hamster cheek pouch model. Radiat Res 175(4):463–472ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Molinari AJ, Pozzi ECC, Monti Hughes A, Heber EM, Garabalino MA, Thorp SI, Miller M, Itoiz ME, Aromando RF, Nigg DW, Trivillin VA, Schwint AE (2012) Tumor blood vessel ‘‘Normalization’’ improves the therapeutic efficacy of boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) in experimental oral cancer. Radiat Res 177:59–68ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Monti Hughes A, Pozzi ECC, Thorp S, Garabalino MA, Farías RO, González SJ, Heber EM, Itoiz ME, Aromando RF, Molinari AJ, Miller M, Nigg DW, Curotto P, Trivillin VA, Schwint AE (2013) Boron neutron capture therapy for oral pre-cancer: proof of principle in an experimental animal model. Oral Dis 19:789–795CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Monti Hughes A, Pozzi ECC, Thorp SI, Curotto P, Medina VA, Martinel Lamas DJ, Rivera ES, Garabalino MA, Farías RO, Gonzalez SJ, Heber EM, Itoiz ME, Aromando RF, Nigg DW, Trivillin VA, Schwint AE (2015) Histamine reduces Boron Neutron Capture Therapy (BNCT)-induced mucositis in an oral precancer model. Oral Dis 21(6):770–777CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Postow MA, Callahan MK, Barker CA, Yamada Y, Yuan J, Kitano S, Mu Z, Rasalan T, Adamow M, Ritter E, Sedrak C, Jungbluth AA, Chua R, Yang AS, Roman RA, Rosner S, Benson B, Allison JP, Lesokhin AM, Gnjatic S, Wolchok JD (2012) Immunologic correlates of the abscopal effect in a patient with melanoma. N Engl J Med 366(10):925–931CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pozzi ECC, Nigg DW, Miller M, Thorp SI, Heber EM, Zarza L, Estryk G, Monti Hughes A, Molinari AJ, Garabalino M, Itoiz ME, Aromando RF, Quintana J, Trivillin VA, Schwint AE (2009) Dosimetry and radiobiology at the new RA-3 reactor boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) facility: application to the treatment of experimental oral cancer. Appl Radiat Isot 67:309–312CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pozzi ECC, Cardoso JE, Colombo LL, Thorp SI, Monti Hughes A, Molinari AJ, Garabalino MA, Heber EM, Miller M, Itoiz ME, Aromando RF, Nigg DW, Quintana J, Trivillin VA, Schwint AE (2012) Boron neutron capture therapy for liver metastasis: experimental studies in BDIX rats. Radiat Environ Biophys 51(3):331–339CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pozzi ECC, Trivillin VA, Colombo LL, Monti Hughes A, Thorp SI, Cardoso JE, Garabalino MA, Molinari AJ, Heber EM, Curotto P, Miller M, Itoiz ME, Aromando RF, Nigg DW, Schwint AE (2013) Boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) for liver metastasis in an experimental model: dose-response at five-week follow-up based on retrospective dose assessment in individual rats. Radiat Environ Biophys 52:481–491CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Takaya M, Niibe Y, Tsunoda S, Jobo T, Imai M, Kotani S, Unno N, Hayakawa K (2007) Abscopal effect of radiation on toruliform para-aortic lymph node metastases of advanced uterine cervical carcinoma-a case report. Anticancer Res 27(1B):499–503Google Scholar
- Trivillin VA, Heber EM, Nigg DW, Itoiz ME, Calzetta O, Blaumann H, Longhino J, Schwint AE (2006) Therapeutic success of boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) mediated by a chemically non-selective boron agent in an experimental model of oral cancer: a new paradigm in BNCT radiobiology. Radiat Res 166:387–396ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang LW, Chen YW, Ho CY, Hsueh Liu YW, Chou FI, Liu YH, Liu HM, Peir JJ, Jiang SH, Chang CW, Liu CS, Wang SJ, Chu PY, Yen SH (2014) Fractionated BNCT for locally recurrent head and neck cancer: experience from a phase I/II clinical trial at Tsing Hua Open-Pool Reactor. Appl Radiat Isot 88:23–27CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yanagie H, Higashi S, Seguchi K, Ikushima I, Fujihara M, Nonaka Y, Oyama K, Maruyama S, Hatae R, Suzuki M, Masunaga S, Kinashi T, Sakurai Y, Tanaka H, Kondo N, Narabayashi M, Kajiyama T, Maruhashi A, Ono K, Nakajima J, Ono M, Takahashi H, Eriguchi M (2014) Pilot clinical study of boron neutron capture therapy for recurrent hepatic cancer involving the intra-arterial injection of a (10)BSH-containing WOW emulsion. Appl Radiat Isot 88:32–37CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zenkoh J, Gerelchuluun A, Suzuki K, Wang X, Ito A, Ohno T, Tsuboi K (2015) Radiation induced tumor cell death bring about the “Abscopal Effect” in the Brain. 15th. International Congress of Radiation Research ICRR2015 (Kyoto)Google Scholar