Association Between Vitamin D Status and COPD Phenotypes
- 419 Downloads
It has been suggested that identifying phenotypes in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) might improve treatment outcome and the accuracy of prediction of prognosis. In observational studies vitamin D deficiency has been associated with decreased pulmonary function, presence of emphysema and osteoporosis, upper respiratory tract infections, and systemic inflammation. This could indicate a relationship between vitamin D status and COPD phenotypes. The aim of this study was to assess the association between vitamin D levels and COPD phenotypes. In addition, seasonality of vitamin D levels was examined.
A total of 91 patients from a Danish subpopulation of the “Evaluation of COPD Longitudinally to Identify Predictive Surrogate End-points” cohort took part in a biomarker substudy. Vitamin D concentration was measured from blood samples taken at two visits, approximately 6 months apart. The participants were 40–75-year-old patients with COPD and had a smoking history of >10 pack-years.
Fifty-six patients had 25-hydroxyvitamin D measured from blood samples from both visits. In the final model of the multivariate analyses, the factors that were associated with vitamin D deficiency at the first visit were age (OR: 0.89, p = 0.02) and summer season (OR: 3.3, p = 0.03). Factors associated with vitamin D level also at the first visit were age (B: 0.9, p = 0.02) and 6 min walking distance (B: 0.05, p = 0.01).
Vitamin D was not associated with COPD phenotypes and season did not seem to be a determinant of vitamin D levels in patients with moderate to severe COPD.
Keywords25(OH)D Biomarker Seasonality COPD Vitamin D Phenotypes
- 1.Vestbo J, Hurd SS, Agusti AG, Jones PW, Vogelmeier C, Anzueto A, Barnes PJ, Fabbri LM, Martinez FJ, Nishimura M, Stockley RA, Sin DD, Rodriguez-Roisin R (2013) Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD Executive Summary. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 187(4):347–365. doi:10.1164/rccm.201204-0596PP CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Han MK, Agusti A, Calverley PM, Celli BR, Criner G, Curtis JL, Fabbri LM, Goldin JG, Jones PW, MacNee W, Make BJ, Rabe KF, Rennard SI, Sciurba FC, Silverman EK, Vestbo J, Washko GR, Wouters EFM, Martinez FJ (2010) Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease phenotypes. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182(5):598–604. doi:10.1164/rccm.200912-1843CC CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Janssens W, Bouillon R, Claes B, Carremans C, Lehouck A, Buysschaert I, Coolen J, Mathieu C, Decramer M, Lambrechts D (2010) Vitamin D deficiency is highly prevalent in COPD and correlates with variants in the vitamin D-binding gene. Thorax 65(3):215–220. doi:10.1136/thx.2009.120659 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Berg I, Hanson C, Sayles H, Romberger D, Nelson A, Meza J, Miller B, Wouters EF, Macnee W, Rutten EP, Romme EA, Vestbo J, Edwards L, Rennard S (2013) Vitamin D, vitamin D binding protein, lung function and structure in COPD. Respir Med 107(10):1578–1588. doi:10.1016/j.rmed.2013.05.010 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ginde AA, Mansbach JM, Camargo CA Jr (2009) Association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level and upper respiratory tract infection in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Arch Intern Med 169(4):384–390. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2008.560 PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Vestbo J, Anderson W, Coxson HO, Crim C, Dawber F, Edwards L, Hagan G, Knobil K, Lomas DA, MacNee W, Silverman EK, Tal-Singer R (2008) Evaluation of COPD longitudinally to identify predictive surrogate end-points (ECLIPSE). Eur Respir J 31(4):869–873. doi:10.1183/09031936.00111707 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Hurst JR, Vestbo J, Anzueto A, Locantore N, Mullerova H, Tal-Singer R, Miller B, Lomas DA, Agusti A, Macnee W, Calverley P, Rennard S, Wouters EF, Wedzicha JA (2010) Susceptibility to exacerbation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N Engl J Med 363(12):1128–1138. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa0909883 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Lehouck A, Mathieu C, Carremans C, Baeke F, Verhaegen J, Van Eldere J, Decallonne B, Bouillon R, Decramer M, Janssens W (2012) High doses of vitamin D to reduce exacerbations in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 156(2):105–114. doi:10.1059/0003-4819-156-2-201201170-00004 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Holmgaard DB, Mygind LH, Titlestad IL, Madsen H, Fruekilde PB, Pedersen SS, Pedersen C (2013) Serum vitamin D in patients with chronic obstructive lung disease does not correlate with mortality—results from a 10-year prospective cohort study. PLoS One 8(1):e53670. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0053670 PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar