Clinical analysis of extranodal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in the sinonasal tract
We investigated the clinical analysis of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) of the sinonasal tract, including the survival rate and treatment outcome. Fifty patients who had previously received a diagnosis of extranodal NHL of the sinonasal cavity from May 1992 to April 2001 were included. We reviewed the patients' clinical characteristics and the survival rates, retrospectively. Of 50 patients, 49 were classified as having extranodal NK/T cell lymphoma and only one patient as having diffuse large B cell (DLBC) lymphoma according to the new WHO classification. Even though higher mortality rates were observed in patients receiving chemotherapy alone than in those receiving chemotherapy and radiation therapy in the advanced stage, the combination treatment of chemotherapy and radiation therapy failed to demonstrate a significantly higher survival rate.
KeywordsClinical analysis Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma Sinonasal tract
This study was supported by the Brain Korea Project 21 and Korea University.
- 7.Fellbaum C, Hansmann ML, Lennert K (1989) Malignant lymphomas of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. Virchows Arch Pathol Anat Histopathol 414: 399–405Google Scholar
- 9.Glick JH, Kim K, Earl J (1995) An ECOG randomized phase III trial of CHOP vs CHOP plus radiotherapy for intermediate grade early stage non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (Abstr). Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 14: 391Google Scholar
- 15.Jaffe ES, Krenacs L, Kumar S, Kingma DW, Raffeld M (1998) Extranodal peripheral T-cell and NK-cell neoplasms. Am J Surg Pathol 111 [Suppl 1]: 46–55Google Scholar
- 19.Kim WS, Song SY, Ahn YC, Ko YH, Baek CH, Kim DY, Yoon SS, Lee HG, Kang WK, Lee HJ, Park CH, Park K (2001) CHOP followed by involved field radiation: is it optimal for localized nasal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma? Ann Oncol 12: 349–352Google Scholar
- 21.Kwong YL, Chan ACL, Liang R, Chiang AKS, Chim CS, Chan TK. Todd D, Ho FC (1997) CD+56 NK lymphomas: clinicopathological features and prognosis. Br J Hematol 97: 821–829Google Scholar
- 25.Ng CS, Chan JK, Lo ST (1987) Expression of natural killer cell markers in non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. Hum Pathol 18: 1257–1262Google Scholar