What is the evidence for lymphadenectomy in presumed early ovarian cancer?
- 106 Downloads
In 2017 the results of the LION phase III prospective randomised trial (LION: lymphadenectomy in ovarian neoplasms—a prospective randomized AGO study group led gynaecologic cancer intergroup trial), investigating the value of systematic lymph node dissection (LND) in advanced ovarian cancer, were published, demonstrating no progression free or overall survival benefit for systematic lymphadenectomy in advanced (≥ IIB) patients with complete tumour clearance and macroscopically normally appearing lymph nodes. Primary endpoint of the study was overall survival. Secondary endpoints were morbidity and perioperative mortality. These data were a game changer in establishing the optimal management standards of advanced disease and has significant implications in national and international guidelines.
The special and novel aspect of the LION study was that all participating centres had to demonstrate for their eligibility a high standard surgical quality and expertise via the...
KeywordsEarly ovarian cancer Lymphadenectomy Surgical staging Survival
B. Schmalfeldt, data analysis, manuscript writing, editing. Brambs C, manuscript review. Burges A, manuscript review. El-Balat A, manuscript review. Emons G, manuscript review. Fink D, manuscript review. Fotopoulou C, manuscript writing, manuscript review. Gropp-Meier M, manuscript review. Hanker L-C, manuscript review. Harter P, manuscript review. Hasenburg A, manuscript review. Hauptmann S, manuscript review. Hilpert F, manuscript review. Kimmig R, manuscript review. Kommoss S, manuscript review. Kurzeder C, manuscript review. Mahner S, manuscript review. Marmé F, manuscript review. Mayr D, manuscript review. Meier W, manuscript review. Meinhold-Heerlein I, manuscript review. Mustea A, manuscript review. Ortmann O, manuscript review. Oskay-Özcelik G, manuscript review. Pfisterer J, manuscript review. Pölcher M, manuscript review. Runnebaum IB, manuscript review. Schröder W, manuscript review. Tanner B, manuscript review. Wagner U, manuscript review. Wimberger P, manuscript review. Sehouli J manuscript review. For the Kommission Ovar of the AGO (Working Group Gynecologic Oncology).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Harter P, Sehouli J, Lorusso D, Reuss A, Vergote I, Marth C, Kim JW, Raspagliesi F, Lampe B, Landoni F, Meier W, Cibula D, Mustea A, Mahner S, Runnebaum I, Schmalfeldt B, Burges A, Kimmig R, Wagner U, du Bois A (2017) LION-lymphadenectomy in ovarian neoplasms. A prospective randomized AGO study group led gynecologic cancer intergroup trial. AGO OVAR OP3/ENGOT-ov31. J Clin Oncol Suppl (abstr #5500) Google Scholar
- 4.Heitz F, Harter P, Ataseven B, Heikaus S, Schneider S, Prader S, Bommert M, Fisseler-Eckhoff A, Traut A, du Bois A (2018) Stage- and histologic subtype-dependent frequency of lymph node metastases in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer undergoing systematic pelvic and paraaortic lymphadenectomy. Ann Surg Oncol 25(7):2053–2059CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Minig L, Heitz F, Cibula D, Bakkum-Gamez JN, Germanova A, Dowdy SC, Kalogera E, Zapardiel I, Lindemann K, Harter P, Scambia G, Petrillo M, Zorrero C, Zanagnolo V, Rebollo JMC, du Bois A, Fotopoulou C (2017) Patterns of lymph node metastases in apparent stage I low-grade epithelial ovarian cancer: a multicenter study. Ann Surg Oncol 24(9):2720–2726CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Trimbos JB, Vergote I, Bolis G, Vermorken JB, Manigoni C, Madornal C, Ranchi M, Tateo S, Zanetta G, Scarfone G, Giurgea L, Timmers P, Coens C, Pecorelli S (2003) Impact of adjuvant chemotherapy and surgical staging in early-stage ovarian carcinoma: European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer-adjuvant Chemotherapy in Ovarian Neoplasm Trial. J Natl Cancer Inst 95:113–125CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Maggioni A, Benedetti PP, Dell’Anna T, Landoni F, Lissoni A, Pellegrino A, Rossi RS, Chair S, Campagnutta E, Greggi S, Angioli R, Manci N, Calcagno M, Scambia G, Fossati R, Floriani I, Torri V, Grassi R, Mangioni C (2006) Randomised study of systematic lymphadenectomy in patient with epithelial ovarian cancer macroscopically confined to the pelvis. Br J Cancer 95:699–704CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.S3 Leitlinine Diagnostik, Therapie und Nachsorge maligner Ovarialtumoren. Version 2.1 November 2017. AWMF-Registernummer: 032/035OL, S.61. https://www.leitlinienprogramm Onkologie.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/Leitlinien/Ovarialkarzinom/Version-2-1/LL_OvCA_OL_Langversion_2.1.pdf