Effect of vaginal intercourse on spontaneous labor at term: a randomized controlled trial
This study aimed at evaluating the effect of vaginal intercourse on spontaneous labor onset at term.
In a randomized controlled trial, patients with singleton, cephalic, term, and low-risk pregnancy were assigned to either vaginal intercourse at least twice a week or abstinence. The following data were assessed: demographics, parity, vaginal coitus frequency before and during pregnancy, Bishop score at 38th weeks, gestational age at delivery, mode of delivery, and days between recruitment and delivery. The primary outcome was spontaneous labor onset.
Of the 123 patient analyzed, 63 were assigned to study group and 60 to control group. Mean interval between study recruitment and delivery was higher in sexually active women (15.05 days ± 0.8 compared with 14.17 days ± 0.8, p = 0.45) as well as the rate of cesarean delivery (14.3 % compared with 10 %, p = 0.58), but the differences were not statistically significant. The rate of spontaneous labor was similar in both groups (84.1 % in vaginal coitus group; 75 % in control group, p = 0.26).
Our results showed that vaginal intercourse does not hasten spontaneous labor onset at term.
KeywordsSpontaneous labour Vaginal intercourse Delivery Randomized
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (2004) Management of post term pregnancy. Practice Bulletin No. 55. Obstet Gynecol 3:639–646Google Scholar
- 5.Government Statistical Service. NHS maternity statistics, England: 2010–2011 December 2011.Google Scholar
- 10.Kavanagh J, Kelly AJ, Thomas J (2005) Breast stimulation for cervical ripening and induction of labor (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane library, no 3. Update Software, Oxford.Google Scholar
- 15.Kavanagh J, Kelly AJ, Thomas J (2001) Sexual intercourse for cervical ripening and induction of labour (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane library, no 2. Update Software, Oxford.Google Scholar
- 19.Bendvold E (1990) Coitus and induction of labor. Tidsskrift for Jordmodre 96:6–8.Google Scholar