A comparison of the effect of short-term aromatase inhibitor (letrozole) and GnRH agonist (triptorelin) versus case control on pregnancy rate and symptom and sign recurrence after laparoscopic treatment of endometriosis
To compare the role of an aromatase inhibitor (letrozole) with a GnRH agonist (triptorelin) versus case control on the pregnancy rate and recurrence of symptoms and signs in patients with endometriosis.
In a prospective randomized clinical trial, after treatment of 144 infertile women in their reproductive age by laparoscopy (whose endometriosis was confirmed by prior laparoscopy), they were divided into 3 groups: group 1 (47 cases) who received letrozole for 2 months, group 2 (40 patients) who were prescribed triptorelin for 2 months and group 3 who were 57 patients in the control group and did not receive any medication. We followed up each group at least for 12 months after their restoration of regular cycle.
Pregnancy rate was 23.4% in group 1, 27.5% in group 2, and 28.1% in group 3. The results did not show significant differences among the 3 groups. Recurrence rate of endometriosis was 6.4% in group 1, 5% group 2 and 5.3% in group 3, which was not statistically significantly different as well.
Pregnancy rate and endometriosis recurrence rate are comparable among the 3 groups.
KeywordsLetrozole Triptorelin Endometriosis Laparoscopy
- 7.Hesla JS, Rock JA (2008) Endometriosis. In: Rock JA, Jones HW (eds) Telinde’s operative gynecology. Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp 438–473Google Scholar
- 11.Alborzi S, Ravanbakhsh R, Parasanezhad ME, Dehbashi S, Alborzi M, Alborzi S (2007) A comparison of follicular response of ovaries to ovulation induction after laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy or fenestration and coagulation versus normal ovaries in patients with endometrioma. Fertil Steril 88:507–509PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Adams Hillard PJ (2007) Benign disease of the female reproductive tract. In: Berek JS (ed) Berek and Novak’s Gynecology. Williams andWilkins, Philadelphia, pp 431–504Google Scholar
- 14.Rosen GF (1992) Treatment of endometriosis-associated infertility. Infert Reprod Med Clin North Am 3:721–730Google Scholar
- 17.Donnez J, Pirard C, Smets M, Jadoul P, Squifflet J (2003) Pre-and post- surgical management of endometriosis. Semin Reprod Med 2l:235–242Google Scholar
- 23.Nowroozi K, Chase JS, Check JH (1987) The importance of laparoscopic coagulation of mild endometriosis in infertile women. Int J Fertil Steril 32:442–444Google Scholar