Laparoscopy-to-laparotomy quotient in obstetrics and gynecology residency programs
- 117 Downloads
Laparoscopic skills are indispensable to the practice of present-day gynecologists. Hence, we investigated the share of minimal invasive surgery in the training of obstetricians and gynecologists.
Materials and methods
Information on resident experience from 197 obstetrics and gynecology (OBGYN) residency programs was obtained from the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
Over a period of 4 years, an OBGYN resident performs—as surgeon or assistant—on average 190 abdominal procedures including 111 abdominal hysterectomies as well as 53 vaginal hysterectomies and 95 operative laparoscopic procedures with or without hysterectomy. The average laparoscopy-tolaparotomy quotient (LPQ) is 0.54, and the average vaginal-to-abdominal hysterectomy quotient (VAQ) is 0.50.
More attention to minimal invasive surgery is needed in OBGYN residency programs.
KeywordsLaparoscopy Laparotomy Residency Laparoscopy-to-laparotomy quotient Vaginal-to-abdominal hysterectomy quotient
Conflict of interest statement
- 4.Walid MS, Heaton RL (2010) Total laparoscopic extirpation of a fixed uterus from benign gynecological disease. Gyn Surg. doi: 10.1007/s10397-010-0558-3
- 5.Walid MS, Heaton RL (2009) Laparoscopic ureterolysis and dissection of the paravesical space for deeply scarred adnexal masses. Arch Gyn Ob. doi: 10.1007/s00404-009-1245-3
- 8.Residency Directory. Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (updated 2006–2009). http://www.apgo.org/residencies/by-location.cfm
- 10.Chong GO, Park NY, Hong DG, Cho YL, Park IS, Lee YS (2009) Learning curve of laparoscopic radical hysterectomy with pelvic and/or para-aortic lymphadenectomy in the early and locally advanced cervical cancer: comparison of the first 50 and second 50 cases. Int J Gynecol Cancer 19(8):1459–1464PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Walid MS, Heaton RL. Can laparoscopic hysterectomy replace abdominal hysterectomy in benign gynecological surgery? ACOG 57th Annual Clinical Meeting 2009, Chicago. doi: 10.3252/pso.eu.57acog.2009
- 15.Walid MS, Heaton RL (2009) Total laparoscopic hysterectomy in 26 min. Arch Gyn Ob. doi: 10.1007/s00404-009-1312-9
- 17.Blikkendaal MD, Twijnstra AR, Smeets MJ, Rhemrev JP, Jansen FW (2009) Safe introduction of laparoscopic hysterectomy using a mentor. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 153. pii: A255Google Scholar