Polycystic ovaries: review of medical information on the internet for patients
- 180 Downloads
Often, internet can bring a sense of anxiety rather than information and understanding to the patient. Our aim was to assess the quality of information available for patients on the management of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) on the internet.
Materials and methods
Five search engines were searched using phrases ‘PCOS and ‘patient information’. Various parameters of quality that were assessed were source, currency and editorial review process (for credibility) and hierarchy and accuracy of evidence (for content of the websites).
Fifteen relevant websites were located, none of which complied with all the criteria for quality. Complete information on PCOS was not provided by any of the website to women according to the quality criteria.
With 1,000 of websites launched everyday, it is difficult for patients to determine which website is trustworthy and valid. Patients need to be watchful about quality of the information on medical conditions in the internet.
KeywordsInternet Patient information Polycystic ovaries Websites
Conflict of interest statement
- 5.Donabedian A (1980) Explorations in quality assessment and monitoring. The definition of quality and approaches to its assessment, vol 1. Health Administration Press, Ann ArborGoogle Scholar
- 6.Eng TR (2001) eHealth landscape—a terrain map of emerging information and communication technologies in health and health care. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Princeton. http://www.rwjf.org/app/rw_publications_and_links/publicationsPdfs/eHealth.pdf Google Scholar
- 7.ESHRE/ASRM–Sponsored PCOS Consensus Workshop Group E (2004) Revised 2003 consensus on diagnostic criteria and long-term health risks related to polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertil Steril 81:19–25Google Scholar
- 10.Frank A (1995) The wounded storyteller: body, illness and ethics. The University of Chicago Press, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- 11.IMO warns against online self diagnosis, Irish Times, 9 September 2008Google Scholar
- 12.International Organization for Standardization, Technical Committee ISO/TC 176 (1994) ISO 8402: quality management and quality assurance vocabulary, 2nd edn. International Organization for Standardization, Geneva, 1994(1994-04-01)Google Scholar
- 17.Streiner DL, Norman GR (1989) Health measurement scales: a practical guide to their development and use. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- 18.Sullivan D (2006) Nielsen net ratings search engine ratings search engine watch, 22 Aug 2006. http://wwwsearchenginewatch.com/2156451
- 20.Wyatt JC (1997) Commentary: measuring quality and impact of the worldwide web. Br Med J 314:1879–1881Google Scholar