Sexual experience and risky sexual behaviours of Turkish university students
To determine the sexual experience and risky sexual behaviours of Turkish university students.
Materials and methods
This cross-sectional questionnaire survey was carried out in a state university in central Turkey. The data were collected in the 2006–2007 academic year in this university. Participants were 949 convenience students from this university. The study group was determined by a stratified sampling method, with faculty and sex representing the strata. Data were collected with the questionnaire designed by researchers to determine the personal features, sexual experience and risky sexual behaviours of students. A chi-square test was applied in the statistical analysis of data.
Of all the students in the research; 42.9% were female and 57.1% male. The percentage of students having had sexual experience was 33.8%. Of the students having had sexual experience, 17.1% were sexually active. The average age for first sexual experience was 17.47 ± 1.79. Among sexually active students, 51.9% indicated that they had unprotected sexual intercourse, 64.2% had sexual intercourse when they were intoxicated and 59.3% had more than one sexual partner.
According to the results obtained from this research, it can be said that a considerable number of the university students had sexual experience and those who are sexually active are under the risk of important health problems, such as sexually transmitted diseases and unintended pregnancy.
KeywordsTurkish university students Sexual experience Risky sexual behaviours
- 6.WHO (2006) Country papers on youth sex education in Europe. Colognei, 109Google Scholar
- 11.Aras S, Orcin E, Ozan S, Semin S (2004) Dokuz Eylül üniversitesi öğrencilerinin cinsel tutum ve davranış özellikleri. Sağlık ve Toplum 14:78–87Google Scholar
- 12.Uzuner A, Bekiroğlu N, Ünalan PC, Yıldız G, Yıldırım N, Coşkun ZE, Ertaş S, Yel S (2007) Üniversite öğrencilerinde cinsel sağlık/üreme sağlığı ile ilgili riskli davranışlar ve ilişkili faktörler, İstanbul. In: Proceeding of the 5th ınternational congress of reproductive health & family planning, Ankara, Turkey, 19–22 April, pp 245–246Google Scholar
- 13.Kaya F, Serin Ö, Genç A (2007) Eğitim fakültesi birinci sınıf öğrencilerinin cinsel yaşamlarına ilişkin yaklaşımlarının belirlenmesi. Kor Hek 6:441–448Google Scholar
- 27.Özkan T. Başer M (2007) Erciyes Üniversitesi Öğrencilerinin cinsellik konusundaki bilgi ve tutumlarının saptanması. In: Proceeding of the 5th international congress of reproductive health & family planning, Ankara, Turkey, 19–22 April, pp 280Google Scholar
- 28.Kasimoğlu E, Arcak R (2007) Dicle üniversitesi önlisans öğrencilerinin üreme sağlığı hakkında bilgi düzeyleri ile cinsel tutum ve davranışlarına genel bakış. In: Proceeding of the 5th ınternational congress of reproductive health & family planning, Ankara, Turkey, 19–22 April, pp 316–317Google Scholar
- 29.Orcin E, Aras S, Açık R (2003) Üniversiteli gençlerin cinsel tutum ve davranışları. Jinekoloji ve Obstet Derg 17:169–174Google Scholar
- 30.Cerqueira Leite RM, Buoncompagno EM, Cerqueira Leite AC, Mergulhao EA, Battistoni MMM (1995) Psychosexual characteristics of male university students in Brazil. Adolescence 30:363–381Google Scholar