Malignant hemangiopericytoma of the breast: a case report with a review of the literature
- 89 Downloads
A hemangiopericytoma of the breast is uncommon, and a hemangiopericytoma of the breast is even rarer. Only a few cases of hemangiopericytoma of the breast have been reported in literature.
Here, we report a case of a 66-year-old woman who presented with a mass in her left breast. The patient had trauma to her left breast 2 years ago with consecutive hematoma. An ultrasound-guided core biopsy indicated a malignant vascular tumor. Its morphology and immunohistochemical marker profile was characteristic for a malignant hemangiopericytoma. Thus, she underwent a mastectomy and an axilla sampling.
The mammogram and the ultrasound findings of 2004 are presented in relation to those of 2006. Hemangiopericytoma of the breast is infrequent, so that the characteristics of this lesion are discussed in addition to the review of the previous literature on this unusual neoplasm.
KeywordsHemangiopericytoma Breast Histology Immunohistochemistry Therapy
- 5.Chugh R, Baker L (2006) Primary non epithelial breast malignancies. http://www.uptodate.com_/,©UpToDate
- 7.Enzinger FM, Weiss SW (1995) Soft tissue tumors. C.V. Mosby, St. LouisGoogle Scholar
- 10.Hoeffken W, Lanyi M (1973) Differentialdiagnose der Rundschatten in der Mamma. In: Röntgenuntersuchung der Brust. Stuttgart: Georg Thieme Verlag, pp 275–287Google Scholar
- 18.National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/default.asp (Accesses 7 March 2005)
- 20.Pollack R, Brennan M, Lawrence W Jr (1997) Society of Surgical Oncology practice guidelines. Soft- tissue sarcoma surgical practice guidelines. Oncology (Huntingt) 11:1327Google Scholar
- 26.Wittekind C, Wagner G (1997) TNM- Klassifikation maligner Tumoren. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar