Open wedge high tibial osteotomy (HTO) versus mobile bearing unicondylar medial joint replacement: five years results
Aim of this study was to compare clinical results after open wedge HTO (OW-HTO and medial unicondylar joint replacement (UKA) in patients aged between 55 and 65.
Materials and methods
Fifty-four patients aged between 55 and 65 years with medial OA and varus malalignement who had been treated by either OW-HTO or UKA could be included. Minimum follow up was 5 years. The HSS knee score and the KOOS were used to evaluate clinical outcome.
There was no difference in the revision rate, the HSS knee score and the KOOS subscales Sports/Rec and ADL between the OW-HTO and UKA group. However, the KOOS subscales pain, Symptoms and QoL were significantly better in the UKA group compared to the OW-HTO.
The results of this study showed that 5 years after surgery patients after UKA had less residual pain and symptoms than patients after UKA. These advantages might result in a higher quality of life.
KeywordsOsteoarthritis Varus malalignement Joint replacement Internal plate fixator
- 5.Broughton NS, Newman JH, Baily RAJ (1986) Unicompartmental replacement and high tibial osteotomy for osteoarthritis of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg 68-B:447–452Google Scholar
- 6.Cartier P, Sanouiller JL, Grelsamer RP (1996) Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty surgery, 10-year minimum follow-up period. J Ar throplasty 11(7):782–788Google Scholar
- 7.Collins NJ, Misra D, Felson DT, Crossley KM, Roos EM (2011) Measures of knee function: International Knee Documentation Committee (IKDC) Subjective Knee Evaluation Form, Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS), Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score Physical Function Short Form (KOOS-PS), Knee Outcome Survey Activities of Daily Living Scale (KOS-ADL), Lysholm Knee Scoring Scale, Oxford Knee Score (OKS), Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC), Activity Rating Scale (ARS), and Tegner Activity Score (TAS). Arthritis Care Res 63(Suppl 11):S208–S228CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Dettoni F, Maistrelli GL, Rossi P, Castoldi F, Stojimirovich D, Rossi R (2008) UKA versus HTO: clinical results at short term follow up. 75th AAOS Annual Meeting, 5–9 March 2008, San Francisco, CAGoogle Scholar
- 13.McAlindon TE, Bannuru RR, Sullivan MC, Arden NK, Berenbaum F, Bierma-Zeinstra SM, Hawker GA, Henrotin Y, Hunter DJ, Kawaguchi H, Kwoh K, Lohmander S, Rannou F, Roos EM, Underwood M (2014) OARSI guidelines for the non-surgical management of knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthr Cartil 22(3):363–388CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Tilley S, Thomas N (2010) What knee scoring system. http://www.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/focus/what-knee-scoring-system. Accessed 05 May 2016