Medial unicompartmental knee arthroplasty with Miller-Galante II prosthesis: mid-term clinical and radiographic results
- 334 Downloads
The purpose of our study was to evaluate retrospectively the mid-term results of the Miller-Galante II (Zimmer, Warsaw, USA) unicondylar knee arthoplasty (UKA).
The study included 46 patients with medial UKAs. Mean follow-up time was 7.0 years (range 2.7–13.1 years).
Survival rate of the prosthesis was 86.6% (95% CI 73.7–99.6) at 7 years. The mean clinical and functional Knee Society Scores had increased from 51 and 62 points preoperatively to 76 and 93 points (P < 0.001) postoperatively. Five of the 46 knees were revised because of excessive wear of the polyethylene liner, and three due to progression of the osteoarthritis in the lateral compartment of the knee.
Survival of this fixed-bearing UKA was not as good as previously reported and polyethylene wear seems to be a more common problem than previously assumed.
KeywordsUnicondylar Knee Arthroplasty Miller-Galante II Medial Osteoarthritis Prosthesis
Conflict of interest statement
No competing interests declared.
- 11.Collier MB, Engh CA, Engh GA (2004) Shelf age of the polyethylene tibial component and outcome of unicondylar knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 6:763–769Google Scholar
- 16.Ewald FC (1992) The Knee Society total knee arthroplasty roentgenographic evaluation and scoring system. Clin Orthop 248:9–12Google Scholar
- 23.Hernigou P, Deschamps G (2002) Patellar impingement following unicompartmental arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 84:1132–1137Google Scholar
- 24.Insall J, Aglietti P (1980) A five to seven-year follow-up of unicompartmental arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 62:1329–1337Google Scholar
- 25.Insall JN, Dorr LD, Scott RD, Scott WN (1992) Rationale of the knee society clinical rating system. Clin Orthop 248:13–14Google Scholar
- 26.Iorio R, Healy WL (2003) Current concepts review. Unicompartmental arthritis of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 85:1351–1364Google Scholar
- 29.Kozinn SC, Scott RD (1989) Current concepts review unicondylar knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 71:145–150Google Scholar
- 32.Lewold S, Robertsson O, Knutson K, Lidgren L (1998) Revision of unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. Outcome in 1, 135 cases from the Swedish Knee Arthroplasty study. Acta Orthop Scand 5:469–474Google Scholar
- 36.McGovern TF, Ammeen DJ, Collier JP, Currier BH, Engh GA (2002) Rapid polyethylene failure of unicondylar tibial components sterilized with gamma irradiation in air and implanted after a long shelf life. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 6:901–906Google Scholar
- 38.Naudie D, Guerin J, Parker DA, Bourne RB, Rorabeck CH (2004) Medial unicompartmental knee arthroplasty with the Miller-Galante prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 86:1931–1935Google Scholar
- 39.Pennington DW, Swienckowski JJ, Lutes WB, Drake GN (2003) Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty in patients sixty years of age or younger. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 85:1968–1973Google Scholar
- 43.Soininen J, Paavolainen P, Gronblad M, Kaapa E () Validation study of a Finnish version of the Western Ontario and McMasters University osteoarthritis index (WOMAC) with correlation to Harris Hip Score (HHS) in 30 patients with total hip arthroplasty (THA) and American Knee Society Score (AKSS) in 37 patients with total knee arthroplasty (TKA). Hip Int (submitted)Google Scholar