Long term results of the Corin C-Fit uncemented total hip arthroplasty in young patients
- 194 Downloads
We conducted a prospective study to evaluate the long-term results after Corin C-Fit uncemented total hip arthroplasty in young patients with hydroxyapatite or porous coated components.
Materials and methods
We prospectively followed 36 patients (38 hips) who had Corin C-Fit uncemented total hip arthroplasties by eight experienced consultant surgeons at two centres. The acetabular and femoral components were hydroxyapatite or porous coated.
The overall 10-year survival rate for the Corin C-Fit arthroplasty was 43%. The 10-year survivorship for the femoral implant was 56% and for the acetabular component 59%.
The evidence presented in this study suggests that the Corin C-Fit uncemented total hip arthroplasty has one of the highest mid- and long-term failure rates for both femoral and acetabular components in the literature. We believe this implant should not be used and patients who have had this form of total hip arthroplasty should be kept under regular review.
KeywordsCorin C-Fit uncemented total hip arthroplasty Survival rate
- 1.Keener JD, Callaghan J, Goetz DD (2003) Twenty-five-year results after Charnley total hip arthroplasty in patients less than fifty years old. J Bone Joint Surg Am A-85:1066–1072Google Scholar
- 3.Jaffe WL, Scott DF (1996) Total hip arthroplasty with hydroxyapatite-coated prostheses. J Bone Joint Surg Am A-78:1918–1934Google Scholar
- 4.Kim YH (2005) Long-term results of the cementless porous-coated anatomic total hip prosthesis. J Bone Joint Surg Br B-87:623–627Google Scholar
- 5.Shetty AA, Slack R, Tindall A et al. (2005) Results of a hydroxyapatite-coated (Furlong) total hip replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br B-87:1050–1054Google Scholar
- 6.Teloken MA, Bissett G, Hozack WJ et al. (2003) Ten to fifteen follow-up after total hip arthroplasty with a tapered cobalt–chromium femoral component (tri-lock) inserted without cement. J Bone Joint Surg Am A-85:1079–1083Google Scholar
- 8.Laupacis A, Bourne R, Rorabeck C et al (2002) Comparison of total hip arthroplasty performed with and without cement: a randomized trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am A-84:1823–1828Google Scholar
- 11.Dawson J, Fitzpatrick R, Carr A et al (1996) Questionnaire on the perceptions of patients about total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br B-78:185–190Google Scholar
- 14.Robertson A, Lavalette A, Morgan S, Angus PD (2005) The hydroxyapatite-coated JRI-Furlong hip: outcome in patients under the age of 55 years. J Bone Joint Surg Br B-87:12–15Google Scholar
- 16.Hallan G, Lie SA, Havelin LI (2006) High wear rates and extensive osteolysis in three types of uncemented total hip arthroplasty: a review of the PCA, the Harris–Galante and the Profile/Tri-Lock Plus arthroplasties with a minimum of 12 years follow-up in 96 hips. Acta Orthop 77:575–584PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Nagi ON, Kumar S, Aggarwal S (2006) The uncemented isoelastic/isotitan total hip arthroplasty: a 10–15 years follow-up with bone mineral density evaluation. Acta Orthop Belg 72:66–64Google Scholar
- 18.Goosen JHM, Verheyen CCPM, Tulp NJA (2005) Mid-term characteristics of an uncemented acetabular component. J Bone Joint Surg Br B-87:1475–1479Google Scholar
- 23.Bojescul JA, Xenos JS, Callaghan JJ, Savory CJ (2002) Results of porous-coated anatomic total hip arthroplasty with a tapered cobalt–chromium femoral component (tri-lock) inserted without cement. J Bone Joint Surg Am A-84:2140–2144Google Scholar
- 26.Dawson J, Fitzpatrick R, Carr A, Murray D (1996) Questionnaire on the perceptions of patients about total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br B-78:185–190Google Scholar
- 27.Pellegrini VD, Hughes SS, McCollister-Evarts C (1992) A collarless cobalt–chrome femoral component in uncemented total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br B-74:814–817Google Scholar
- 29.Engh CA, McGovern TF, Bobyn D, Harris W (1992) A quantitative evaluation of periprosthetic bone remodeling after cementless total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br B-74:1009–1020Google Scholar