Ependymoma with neuropil-like islands: a case report with diagnostic and histogenetic implications
We describe a case of ependymoma with neuronal differentiation in form of neuropil-like islands. A 6-year-old boy presented at clinical examination for a short history of headaches and vomiting. Brain computed tomography showed a large, partially cystic, parieto-occipital lesion. The tumor was composed by glial fibrillary acidic protein-positive round cells with a perivascular arrangement and scattered neuropil-like islands, showing intense positivity for synaptophysin. Despite radiotherapy, the tumor recurred, showing frank features of anaplasia, but lacking the neuropil-like islands. The histological features of the tumor are discussed in the light of the concept that neuronal differentiation can occur occasionally in gliomas of different lineage without affecting the expected biological behavior.
KeywordsEpendymoma Neuropil-like islands Neurocytic differentiation
- 2.Burger PC, Scheithauer BW, Vogel FS (2002) Surgical pathology of the nervous system and its coverings, 4th edn. Churchill-Livingstone, London, pp 290–292Google Scholar
- 8.Kleihues P, Cavenee WK (2000) Pathology and genetics of tumours of the nervous system, 3rd edn. WHO/IARC, Lyon, pp 96–114Google Scholar
- 9.Kleihues P, Louis DN, Scheithauer BW, Rorke LB, Reifenberger G, Burger PC, Cavenee WK (2002) The WHO classification of tumors of the nervous system. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 61:215–225Google Scholar
- 12.Massimino M, Gandola L, Giangaspero F, Sandri A, Valagussa P, Perilongo G, Garre ML, Ricardi U, Forni M, Genitori L, et al (2004) Hyperfractioned radiotherapy and chemotherapy for childhood ependymoma: final results of the first prospective AIEOP (Associazione Italiana di Ematologia-Oncologia Pediatrica) study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58:1336–1345CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Wiestler OD, Schiffer D, Coons SW, Prayson RA, Rosenblum MK. (2000) Ependymoma. In: Kleihues P, Cavanee WK, (eds) Pathology and genetics of tumours of the nervous system, 3rd edn. WHO/IARC, Lyon, pp 72–76Google Scholar