Synthesis and characterization of TiO2/acrylic acid-co-2-acrylamido-2-methyl propane sulfonic acid nanogel composite and investigation its self-healing performance in the epoxy coatings
In the present study, the surface of titanium dioxide (TiO2) nanoparticles was modified with superabsorbent gel based on acrylic acid (AA) and 2-acrylamido-2-methyl propane sulfonic acid (AMPS) via in-situ polymerization using 3-(triethoxysilyl) propyl methacrylate (MPS) as a silane coupling agent. The synthesized TiO2 nanogel composite was then incorporated into a commercial epoxy resin in different weight percent (1, 2, and 4) to prepare an effective self-healing epoxy coating. The chemical structure and surface morphology of the prepared nanogel composite were evaluated by Fourier transform infrared (FTIR), X-ray diffraction (XRD), and Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscopy (FESEM). Furthermore, to calculate the weight ratio of the inorganic to organic materials, the ash content test was employed. The effectiveness of the TiO2 nanogel composite as the self-healing material in the epoxy resin was assessed in 3.5 wt.% NaCl solution by potentiodynamic polarization tests and electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS).
KeywordsSelf-healing Epoxy coating Titanium dioxide Surface modification Acrylic acid-co-2-acrylamido-2-methyl propane sulfonic acid
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Mrlik M, Ilcikova M, Sedlacik M, Mosnacek J, Peer P, Filip P (2014) Cholesteryl-coated carbonyl iron particles with improved anti-corrosion stability and their viscoelastic behaviour under magnetic field. Colloid Polym Sci 292(9):2137–2143. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00396-014-3245-5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kim J-W, Shim J-W, Bae J-H, Han S-H, Kim H-K, Chang I-S, Kang H-H, Suh K-D (2002) Titanium dioxide/poly(methyl methacrylate) composite microspheres prepared by in situ suspension polymerization and their ability to protect against UV rays. Colloid Polym Sci 280(6):584–588. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00396-002-0655-6 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Atta A, Al-Lohedan H, Tawfeek A, Abdel-Khalek A (2016) Preparation and characterization of amphiphilic titanium dioxide nanogel composites with high performance in water treatment. Dig J Nanomater Biostruct 11(1):91–104.Google Scholar
- 27.Khosravi F, Nouri Khorasani S, Rezvani Ghomi E, Kichi MK, Zilouei H, Farhadian M, Esmaeely Neisiany R (2019) A bilayer GO/nanofibrous biocomposite coating to enhance 316L stainless steel corrosion performance. Mater Res Express 6(8):086470. https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/ab26d5 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.El-Mahdy G, Atta A, Al-Lohedan H, Tawfeek A, Abdel-Khalek AA (2015) Synthesis of encapsulated titanium oxide sodium 2-acrylamido-2-methylpropan sulfonate nanocomposite for preventing the corrosion of steel. Int J Electrochem Sci 10:5702–5713Google Scholar
- 39.Hasanzadeh M, Shahidi M, Kazemipour M (2015) Application of EIS and EN techniques to investigate the self-healing ability of coatings based on microcapsules filled with linseed oil and CeO2 nanoparticles. Prog Org Coat 80:106–119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.porgcoat.2014.12.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar