Controlled gel research: the effect of ethanol for delaying the polycondensation of tetraethyl orthosilicate-dimethyldiethoxysilane
- 16 Downloads
In this study, the effect of ethanol for delaying the polycondensation of silanol in the co-hydrolysis-condensation of tetraethyl orthosilicate-dimethyldiethoxysilane was first explored and demonstrated by varying the amount of ethanol under low-water content and acid-catalyzed. On the basis of this, the controllability of the sol-gel process is realized, and the calculation formula of the gel formation time is provided. The experiment shows that the storage gel time and the reaction gel time are extended from 75 h to at least 4584 h, or from 20 to 65 h with the increase of ethanol concentration, respectively. And we observed the microscopic process of solution-sol-gel transition by light transmission microscope. The sol-gel process established in this experiment gives a mechanism reference for future research.
KeywordsSol-gel process Delay Polycondensation Gel time Controllability
We thank the analytic and testing center of State Key Laboratory of Polymer Materials Engineering for testing assistance.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 5.van Bommel MJ, Bernards TNM, Boonstra AH (1991) The influence of the addition of alkyl-substituted ethoxysilane on the hydrolysis-condensation process of TEOS. J Non-Cryst Solids 128:231–242 http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/002230939190461E CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Garnier A, Da Cruz-Boisson F, Rigolet S et al (2016) Hydrolysis-condensation reactions of diethylphosphato-ethyltriethoxysilane involved in organic–inorganic talc-like hybrid synthesis: liquid and solid-state NMR investigations. RSC Adv 6:75715–75723. https://doi.org/10.1039/c6ra12719c CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Singh TK, Jain CL, Sharm SK et al (1999) Preparation of dispersed silica by hydrolysis of tetraethyl orthosilicate. Indian J Eng Mater S 6:349–351Google Scholar
- 15.Dabbaghian MA, Babalou AA, Hadi P et al (2010) A parametric study of the synthesis of silica nanoparticles via sol-gel precipitation method [J]. Int J Nanosci Nanotechnol 6:104–113Google Scholar
- 22.Yuqiu H, Yuchun Z, Huanan T (2004) Influence of three cosolvents on hydrolysis of tetraethyl-orthosilicate. J Northeastern Univ (Natural Science) 25:133–135 http://xuebao.neu.edu.cn/natural/EN/Y2004/V25/I2/133 Google Scholar
- 23.Ji S (2011) Preparation of coatings which constitute by TEOS hydrolysate as film former matter [D]. Harbin Institute of TechnologyGoogle Scholar