Sulfonate-functionalized polyacrylonitrile-based nanoparticles; synthesis, and conversion to pH-sensitive nanogels
- 34 Downloads
The present paper reports the synthesis of polyacrylonitrile (PAN)-based nanoparticles through soap-free emulsion polymerization (SFEP). Employing different types of co-solvent, as well as ionic commoners, synthesis of pure PAN nanoparticles was unsuccessful. However, when vinyl acetate,or methyl (meth) acrylate was introduced (conc. > 10 mol%), crystallization of PAN was decreased and consequently stable nanoparticles in the size range of 80–250 nm were achieved. Such a co-polymerization not only produced clean and functionalized nanoparticles but also allowed addition of a cross-linker without sacrificing colloidal stability. As a model, the cross-linked poly(acrylonitrile-co-vinyl acetate) nanoparticles were hydrolyzed in alkaline media, which yielded poly(acrylic acid-co-vinyl alcohol) nanogels. The swelling measurement exhibited that the prepared nanogels have a pH-sensitive behavior.
KeywordsSoap-free emulsion polymerization Polyacrylonitrile pH-sensitive nanogels Electrostatic stabilization
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Ugelstad J, Stenstad P, Kilaas L, Prestvik WS, Rian A, Nustad K, Herje R, Berge A (1996) Biochemical and biomedical application of monodisperse polymer particles. Macromolecular Symposia 101(1):491–500Google Scholar
- 2.Serpe MJ, Kang Y, Zhang QM (2016) Colloidal photonic crystals for sensor applications, in photonic materials for sensing, biosensing and display devices. Springer, Volume 229:51–78Google Scholar
- 6.Hasani A, Gavgani JN, Pashaki RM, Baseghi S, Salehi A, Heo D, Kim SY, Mahyari M (2017) Poly (3, 4 ethylenedioxythiophene): poly (styrenesulfonate)/iron (III) porphyrin supported on S and N co-doped graphene quantum dots as a hole transport layer in polymer solar cells. Sci Adv Mater 9(9):1616–1625CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Vatankhah-Varnosfaderani M, Hu X, Li Q, Adelnia H, Ina M, Sheiko SS (2018) Universal coatings based on zwitterionic–dopamine copolymer microgels. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 10(24):20869–20875Google Scholar
- 13.Vatankhah-Varnoosfaderani M, Ina M, Adelnia H, Li Q, Zhushma AP, Hall LJ, Sheiko SS (2016) Well-defined zwitterionic microgels: synthesis and application as acid-resistant microreactors. Macromolecules 49(19):7204–7210Google Scholar
- 17.Gavgani JN, Dehsari HS, Hasani A, Mahyari M, Shalamzari EK, Salehi A, Taromi FA (2015) A room temperature volatile organic compound sensor with enhanced performance, fast response and recovery based on N-doped graphene quantum dots and poly (3, 4-ethylenedioxythiophene)–poly (styrenesulfonate) nanocomposite. RSC Adv 5(71):57559–57567CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Gavgani JN et al (2014) Intumescent flame retardant polyurethane/starch composites: thermal, mechanical, and rheological properties. J Appl Polym Sci 131(23):41158–41167Google Scholar
- 23.Gavgani JN, Adelnia H, Mir Mohamad Sadeghi G, Zafari F (2014) Intumescent flame retardant polyurethane/starch composites: thermal, mechanical, and rheological properties. J Appl Polym Sci 131(23):41158-41167Google Scholar