Surface properties of the composite films based on poly(vinyl alcohol) and nanodiamonds as studied by wetting techniques and autoradiography
- 32 Downloads
Surface concentration of oxidized nanodiamonds (NDs) and NDs modified with oleylamine in NDs–poly(vinyl alcohol) composite films has been determined by autoradiography using tritium-labeled NDs. It has been demonstrated that oxidized NDs are distributed uniformly in the composite films, and their surface concentration is the same at both sides of the film. After modification with oleylamine, ND concentration at the bottom side of the film exceeds that at the top side approximately tenfold. Zisman critical surface tension of the composite films as well as polar and non-polar contributions to the surface tension has been found. It has been shown that surface tension is determined by the polymer, and the addition of NDs does not affect its value.
KeywordsPoly(vinyl alcohol) Nanodiamonds Composite film Autoradiography Critical surface tension
The authors thank Dr. Vladimir Sergeyev (Lomonosov Moscow State University) for helpful discussions.
This study was financially supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project no. 16-08-00780). Thermogravimetric analysis was performed using the equipment made available by M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University Program of Development.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Gerasin VA, Antipov EM, Karbushev VV, Kulichikhin VG, Karpacheva GP, Talrose RV, Kudryavtsev YV (2013) New approaches to the development of hybrid nanocomposites: from structural materials to high-tech applications. Russ Chem Rev 82(4):303–332. https://doi.org/10.1070/RC2013v082n04ABEH004322 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kurkin TS, Ozerin AN, Kechek’yan AS, Gritsenko OT, Ozerina LA, Alkhanishvili GG, Sushchev VG, Dolmatov VY (2010) The structure and properties of polymer composite fibers based on poly(vinyl alcohol) and nanodiamond of detonation synthesis. Nanotechnologies in Russia 5(5–6):340–351. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1995078010050095 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kurkin TS, Tikunova EP, Yablokova MY, Kechek’yan AS, Beshenko MA, Dolmatov VY, Ozerin AN (2014) Effect of detonation-synthesized nanodiamond powder on the adhesive strength of a polymer fiber to the epoxy binder. Doklady Chem 457:118–121. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0012500814070039 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Korobko AP, Milekhin YM, Krasheninnikov SV, Shishov NI, Levakova IV, Chvalun SN, Ozerina LA, Bestuzheva TA, Drozd SN, Butenko EA (2004) Nanocomposites based on plasticized poly(ester urethane) and ultrafine diamonds. Vysokomolekularnye Soedineniya. Ser.A Ser.B Ser.C - Kratkie Soobshcheniya 46(9):1558–1569Google Scholar
- 8.Dolmatov VY (2001) Detonation synthesis ultradispersed diamonds: properties and applications. Uspechi Khimii 70(7):706–708Google Scholar
- 13.Zhang O, Mochalin VN, Neitzel I, Hazeli K, Niu J, Kontsos A, Zhou JG, Leikes PI, Gorotsi Y (2012) Mechanical and biomineralization of multifunctional nanodiamond-PLLA composites for bone tissue engineering. Biomaterials 33:5067–5075. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2012.03.063 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Shahbazi M, Rajabzaden G, Sitiideh S (2017) Functional characterization, wettability properties and cytotoxic effect of starch film incorporated with multi-walled and hydroxylated multi-walled carbon nanotubes. Int J Biol Macromol 104:597–605. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.06.031 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Kulikova NA, Abroskin DP, Badun GA, Chernysheva MG, Korobkov VI, Beer AS, Tsvetkova EA, Senik SV, Klein OI, Perminova IV (2016) Label distribution in tissues of wheat seedlings cultivated with tritium-labeled leonardite humic acid. Sci Rep 6. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep28869
- 23.Soboleva OA, Korobkov VI, Dolzhikova VD, Badun GA, Abramov AA (1998) The application of the autoradiography method for studying the surfactant distribution on solid surface. Colloid J 60:765–769Google Scholar
- 27.Feinendegen LE (1967) Tritium labeled molecules in biology and medicine. Academic Press, New York and LondonGoogle Scholar
- 29.Grozdov DS (2012) Digital gamma-activation autoradiography for analysis under conditions of nonuniform field of bremsstrahlung of microtron. Cand. Chem. thesis. MoscowGoogle Scholar