Polyethylene-based composites containing high concentration of quantum dots
- 414 Downloads
A simple approach of preparation of advanced fluorescent polyethylene (PE) composites containing the high concentration of CdSe/ZnS quantum dots (QDs) was elaborated. The method is based on the infiltration of concentrated solution of QDs in octadecene into the films of porous stretched PE. A developed technique allowed one to introduce high concentration of QDs (15 wt%) into the polymer films. The composite films possess very bright fluorescence, high thermal stability, flexibility, and good mechanical properties. An annealing of the films enables to collapse porous structure and obtain stable, flexible, highly fluorescent, and transparent composite films. The developed approach enables to prepare materials promising for applications in optoelectronics and photonics.
KeywordsPolymer composites CdSe/ZnS quantum dots Porous polyethylene Fluorescence
This research was supported by the Russian Foundation of Fundamental Research (13-03-00219 and 13-03-12071; preparation of PE films and PE-QDs composites), Russian Science Foundation (14-13-00379; study of optical and fluorescent properties of composites), and Ministry of Higher Education and Science of the Russian Federation (grant no. 14.575.21.0065 ID RFMEFI57514X0065). The authors are very thankful to Dr. M. Artemiev for the QD synthesis.
- 1.Jabbour GE, Sariciftci NS (2014) Electronic, optical and optoelectronic polymers and oligomers. Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- 2.Konstantatos G, Sargent EH (2013) Colloidal quantum dot optoelectronics and photovoltaics. Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- 4.Caruso F (2006) Colloids and colloid assemblies: synthesis, modification, organization and utilization of colloid particles. WileyGoogle Scholar
- 5.Meinardi F, Colombo A, Velizhanin KA, Simonutti R, Lorenzon M, Beverina L, Viswanatha R, Klimov VI, Brovelli S (2014) Large area luminescent solar concentrators based on “Stokes-shift-engineered” nanocrystals in mass polymerized polymethylmethacrylate matrix. Nat Photonics 8:392–399CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Silverstein MS, Cameron NR, Hillmyer MA (2011) Porous Polymers. WileyGoogle Scholar
- 27.El’yashevich GK, Kuryndin IS, Lavrentiev VK, Bobrovsky A, Bukǒsek V (2012) Porous structure, permeability and mechanical properties of microporous films of polyolefines. Solid State Physics (Russian) 54:1787–1796Google Scholar
- 30.Bobrovsky A, Shibaev V, Elyashevitch G, Rosova E, Shimkin A, Shirinyan V, Bubnov A, Kaspar M, Hamplova V, Glogarova M (2008) New photosensitive polymer composites based on oriented porous polyethylene filled with azobenzene-containing LC mixture: reversible photomodulation of dichroism and birefringence. Liq Cryst 35:533–539CrossRefGoogle Scholar