Synthesis and surface active properties of a gemini-type surfactant linked by a quaternary ammonium group
- 617 Downloads
In this study, cationic surfactants having multi-hydroxyl groups were synthesized by the condensation reaction of octadec-9-enyl glycidyl ether and methyl amine followed by the quaternization with dimethyl sulfate. The structure of the product was elucidated by 1H-NMR and FT-IR. The minimum critical micelle concentration (CMC) and surface tension achieved using C18:1-BHDM surfactant were 1.24 × 10−4 mol/L and 43.36 mN/m, respectively. The interfacial tensions measured between 1 wt% surfactant solution and n-decane were found to be in the same order of magnitude as those exhibited between micellar solutions and nonpolar hydrocarbon oils. The contact angle measurement result suggests that C18:1-BADM is the best wetting agent among the surfactants tested during this study. It has been observed that the results for foam stability measurement are consistent with those of CMC and contact angle. That is, the percentage of foam volume decrease has been observed to increase with an increase in number of hydroxyl group.
KeywordsCationic surfactant Hydroxyl group Critical micelle concentration (CMC) Surface tension Interfacial tension Contact angle
This study was supported by a grant of the Korea Healthcare technology R&D Project, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Republic of Korea (grant no. A103017).
- 2.Sharma KS, Patil SR, Rakshit AK, Glenn K, Doiron M, Palepu RM, Hassan PA (2004) Self-aggregation of a cationic-nonionic surfactant mixture in aqueous media: tensiometric, conductometric, density, light scattering, potentiometric, and fluorometric studies. J Phys Chem B 108(34):12804–12812CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Rosen MJ (1988) Surfactants and interfacial phenomena. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 16.Jungermann E (1970) Cationic surfactants. Marcel Dekker, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 20.Cross J, Singer EJ (1994) Cationic surfactants. Marcel Dekker, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 26.Kang EK, Lee BM, Hwang HA, Lim JC (2011) A novel cationic surfactant having two quaternary ammonium ions. J Ind Eng Chem 17(5–6):845–852Google Scholar
- 27.Lim JC, Kang EK, Lee BM (2012) Syntheses and surface active properties of cationic surfactants having multi ammonium and hydroxyl groups. J Ind Eng Chem. doi: 10.1016/j.jiec.2012.01.040
- 28.Lee BM, Kang HC, Park JM, Yoon J (2002) US Patent 6392064Google Scholar
- 29.Park JM, Kim HC, Lee BM, Kim DP (2003) Efficient synthetic method of diepoxide compound containing amino group in the connecting part. J Korean Ind Eng Chem 14(2):249–252Google Scholar
- 31.Kielman HS, Van Steen PHF (1979) Surface active agents. Society Chemical Industry, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 32.Miller CA, Neogi P (1985) Interfacial phenomena: equilibrium and dynamic effects. Marcel Dekker, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 39.Kim JS, Lim JC (2009) Effect of pH on physical properties of triethanolamine-ester quaternary ammonium salt cationic surfactant system. J Korean Ind Eng Chem 20(5):479–485Google Scholar