Relationship of dietary nitrate intake from vegetables with cardiovascular disease mortality: a prospective study in a cohort of older Australians
- 271 Downloads
Short-term trials indicate inorganic nitrate and nitrate-rich vegetables may have vascular health benefits. However, few observational studies have explored the relationship between nitrate intake and long-term cardiovascular disease (CVD) outcomes. The primary aim of this study was to investigate the association of nitrate intake from vegetables with CVD mortality in a sample of older Australians.
A subgroup of participants without diabetes or major CVD at baseline (1992–1994) were included from the Blue Mountains Eye Study, a population-based cohort study of men and women aged ≥ 49 years. Diets were evaluated using a validated food frequency questionnaire at baseline, 5 years and 10 years of follow-up. Vegetable nitrate intake was estimated using a comprehensive vegetable nitrate database. Cox proportional hazard regression was used to explore the association between vegetable nitrate intake and CVD mortality.
During 14 years of follow-up, 188/2229 (8.4%) participants died from CVD. In multivariable-adjusted analysis, participants in quartile 2 [69.5–99.6 mg/day; HR 0.53 (95% CI 0.35, 0.82)], quartile 3 [99.7–137.8 mg/day; HR 0.51 (95% CI 0.32, 0.80)], and quartile 4 [> 137.8 mg/day; HR 0.63 (95% CI 0.41, 0.95)] of vegetable nitrate intake had lower hazards for CVD mortality compared to participants in quartile 1 (< 69.5 mg/day).
In older Australian men and women, vegetable nitrate intake was inversely associated with CVD mortality, independent of lifestyle and cardiovascular risk factors. These findings confirm a recent report that intake of vegetable nitrate lowers the risk of CVD mortality in older women and extend these findings to older men.
KeywordsCardiovascular disease Mortality Nitrate Vegetables Coronary heart disease Stroke
The analysis of this study was supported by a National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) of Australia project Grant 1084922. The salaries of JRL and JMH were supported by NHMRC of Australia Fellowships. None of these funding agencies had any role in the conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis or interpretation of the data; or the preparation, review or approval of the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Mendis S, Puska P, Norrving B (2011) Global atlas on cardiovascular disease prevention and control. World Health Organization, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- 7.Weitzberg E, Lundberg JO (2013) Novel aspects of dietary nitrate and human health. Annu Rev Nutr 33(1):129–159. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-nutr-071812-161159 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Nuñez De González MT, Osburn WN, Hardin MD, Longnecker M, Garg HK, Bryan NS, Keeton JT (2012) Survey of residual nitrite and nitrate in conventional and organic/natural/uncured/indirectly cured meats available at retail in the United States. J Agric Food Chem 60(15):3981–3990. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf204611k CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Blekkenhorst LC, Bondonno NP, Liu AH, Ward NC, Prince RL, Lewis JR, Devine A, Croft KD, Hodgson JM, Bondonno CP (2018) Nitrate, the oral microbiome, and cardiovascular health: a systematic literature review of human and animal studies. Am J Clin Nutr 107(4):504–522. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqx046 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Bondonno CP, Yang X, Croft KD, Considine MJ, Ward NC, Rich L, Puddey IB, Swinny E, Mubarak A, Hodgson JM (2012) Flavonoid-rich apples and nitrate-rich spinach augment nitric oxide status and improve endothelial function in healthy men and women: a randomized controlled trial. Free Radic Bio Med 52(1):95–102CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Webb AJ, Patel N, Loukogeorgakis S, Okorie M, Aboud Z, Misra S, Rashid R, Miall P, Deanfield J, Benjamin N, MacAllister R, Hobbs AJ, Ahluwalia A (2008) Acute blood pressure lowering, vasoprotective, and antiplatelet properties of dietary nitrate via bioconversion to nitrite. Hypertension 51(3):784–790CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Jackson JK, Patterson AJ, MacDonald-Wicks LK, Oldmeadow C, McEvoy MA (2018) The role of inorganic nitrate and nitrite in cardiovascular disease risk factors: a systematic review and meta-analysis of human evidence. Nutr Rev 76(5):348–371. https://doi.org/10.1093/nutrit/nuy005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Nuñez de González MT, Osburn WN, Hardin MD, Longnecker M, Garg HK, Bryan NS, Keeton JT (2015) A survey of nitrate and nitrite concentrations in conventional and organic-labeled raw vegetables at retail. J Food Sci 80(5):C942–C949. https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.12858 doiCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Bondonno CP, Blekkenhorst LC, Prince RL, Ivey KL, Lewis JR, Devine A, Woodman RJ, Lundberg JO, Croft KD, Thompson PL (2017) Association of vegetable nitrate intake with carotid atherosclerosis and ischemic cerebrovascular disease in older women. Stroke 49(6):1–6Google Scholar
- 36.Lewis J, English R (1990) NUTTAB 90—nutrient data table for use in Australia [floppy disc]. Department of Community Services and Health, CanberraGoogle Scholar
- 37.Lewis J, Milligan GC, Hunt A (1995) NUTTAB95—nutrient data table for use in Australia [compact disc]. Australia New Zealand Food Authority, CanberraGoogle Scholar
- 40.Food Standards Australia New Zealand (2011) Survey of nitrates and nitrites in food and beverages in Australia. FSANZ, CanberraGoogle Scholar
- 44.Magliano D, Liew D, Pater H, Kirby A, Hunt D, Simes J, Sundararajan V, Tonkin A (2003) Accuracy of the Australian National Death Index: comparison with adjudicated fatal outcomes among Australian participants in the long-term intervention with pravastatin in ischaemic disease (LIPID) study. Aust N Z J Public Health 27(6):649–653CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 47.Gilchrist M, Winyard PG, Aizawa K, Anning C, Shore A, Benjamin N (2013) Effect of dietary nitrate on blood pressure, endothelial function, and insulin sensitivity in type 2 diabetes. Free Radic Bio Med 60:89–97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2013.01.024 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 48.Bondonno CP, Liu AH, Croft KD, Ward NC, Yang X, Considine MJ, Puddey IB, Woodman RJ, Hodgson JM (2014) Short-term effects of nitrate-rich green leafy vegetables on blood pressure and arterial stiffness in individuals with high-normal blood pressure. Free Radic Biol Med 77:353–362CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 49.Bondonno CP, Liu AH, Croft KD, Ward NC, Shinde S, Moodley Y, Lundberg JO, Puddey IB, Woodman RJ, Hodgson JM (2015) Absence of an effect of high nitrate intake from beetroot juice on blood pressure in treated hypertensive individuals: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr 102(2):368–375CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 55.Maas R, Xanthakis V, Göen T, Müller J, Schwedhelm E, Böger RH, Vasan RS (2017) Plasma nitrate and incidence of cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality in the community: the Framingham Offspring Study. J Am Heart Assoc. https://doi.org/10.1161/jaha.117.006224 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 58.Banegas JR, Ruilope LM, de la Sierra A, Vinyoles E, Gorostidi M, de la Cruz JJ, Ruiz-Hurtado G, Segura J, Rodríguez-Artalejo F, Williams B (2018) Relationship between clinic and ambulatory blood-pressure measurements and mortality. N Engl J Med 378(16):1509–1520. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1712231 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 64.Carlström M, Larsen FJ, Nyström T, Hezel M, Borniquel S, Weitzberg E, Lundberg JO (2010) Dietary inorganic nitrate reverses features of metabolic syndrome in endothelial nitric oxide synthase-deficient mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci 107(41):17716–17720. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1008872107 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 65.Yang T, Zhang X-M, Tarnawski L, Peleli M, Zhuge Z, Terrando N, Harris RA, Olofsson PS, Larsson E, Persson AEG, Lundberg JO, Weitzberg E, Carlstrom M (2017) Dietary nitrate attenuates renal ischemia-reperfusion injuries by modulation of immune responses and reduction of oxidative stress. Redox Biol 13:320–330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.redox.2017.06.002 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 66.Wightman EL, Haskell-Ramsay CF, Thompson KG, Blackwell JR, Winyard PG, Forster J, Jones AM, Kennedy DO (2015) Dietary nitrate modulates cerebral blood flow parameters and cognitive performance in humans: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover investigation. Physiol Behav 149:149–158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2015.05.035 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 70.Aune D, Giovannucci E, Boffetta P, Fadnes LT, Keum N, Norat T, Greenwood DC, Riboli E, Vatten LJ, Tonstad S (2017) Fruit and vegetable intake and the risk of cardiovascular disease, total cancer and all-cause mortality—a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies. Int J Epidemiol 46(3):1029–1056. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyw319 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar