Cryoballoon versus radiofrequency ablation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
- 120 Downloads
The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical efficacy and safety outcomes of the treatment with cryoballoon (CB) compared to the treatment with traditional irrigated radiofrequency ablation (RF) for pulmonary vein isolation (PVI) in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (pAF) and refractory to antiarrhythmic drug therapy (AAD).
We conducted a systemic review to find and include more than two randomized controlled trials (RCTs) with at least 20 patients in each of the CB and RF groups. Thereafter, we performed a meta-analysis to compare the treatment with CB and RF in primary outcomes including 1 year free from AF, complications and re-ablation procedures. Additionally, we evaluated procedure time and fluoroscopy duration in both groups. Risk of bias in the individual studies and across studies was assessed using Cochrane methods.
Data extraction and synthesis
Two reviewers extracted study data and assessed risk of bias. Primary outcome data were extracted from the time point 1 year after the procedure. The random-effects model was used to calculate the odds ratio with 95% confidence interval.
Data sources utilized were PubMed and CENTRAL databases up to 16 June 2016.
Eligibility criteria for selecting studies
Included studies were RCTs in adults with pAF and refractory to AAD in which CB therapy, including 1st and 2nd generation CB, was compared to the traditional irrigated RF therapy. Clinical outcomes assessed in each RCT were 1 year AF-free survival, complication rates, re-ablations, fluoroscopy time and procedure time.
The systematic review identified four randomized controlled trials that reported on comparative clinical outcomes involving 1284 patients. Our meta-analysis demonstrated that CB ablation had a non-significant higher success rate than RF therapy (OR 1.13; 95% CI 0.72–1.77). However, our study showed a relatively higher rate of complications in the CB group (OR 1.20; 95% CI 0.58–2.52). Furthermore, CB treatment was associated with a non-significant, shorter procedure time and marginally prolonged fluoroscopy time in comparison to RF treatment.
Our systemic review and meta-analysis revealed further evidence that cryoballoon ablation is an equally effective alternative procedure to the standard radiofrequency treatment with a slightly, non-significant higher freedom from AF 1 year after the ablation and a shorter procedure time.
KeywordsPulmonary vein isolation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation Comparison cryoballoon and radiofrequency Meta-analysis including RCTs
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- 1.Andrade JG, Deyell MW, Badra M, Champagne J, Dubuc M, Leong-Sit P, Macle L, Novak P, Roux JF, Sapp J, Tang A, Verma A, Wells GA, Khairy P (2017) Randomised clinical trial of cryoballoon versus irrigated radio frequency catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation—the effect of double short versus standard exposure cryoablation duration during pulmonary vein isolation (CIRCA-DOSE): methods and rationale. BMJ Open 7(10):e017970PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 2.Aryana A, Bowers M, O’Neill P (2015) Ablation of atrial fibrillation: a comprehensive review. JAFIB 8(2):39–50Google Scholar
- 6.Calkins H, Kuck KH, Cappato R, Brugada J, Camm AJ, Chen SA, Crijns HJ, Damiano RJ Jr, Davies DW, DiMarco J, Edgerton J, Ellenbogen K, Ezekowitz MD, Haines DE, Haissaguerre M, Hindricks G, Iesaka Y, Jackman W, Jalife J, Jais P, Kalman J, Keane D, Kim YH, Kirchhof P, Klein G, Kottkamp H, Kumagai K, Lindsay BD, Mansour M, Marchlinski FE, McCarthy PM, Mont JL, Morady F, Nademanee K, Nakagawa H, Natale A, Nattel S, Packer DL, Pappone C, Prystowsky E, Raviele A, Reddy V, Ruskin JN, Shemin RJ, Tsao HM, Wilber D (2012) 2012 HRS/EHRA/ECAS expert consensus statement on catheter and surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation: recommendations for patient selection, procedural techniques, patient management and follow-up, definitions, endpoints, and research trial design. Europace 14(4):528–606CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Chun KRJ, Schmidt B, Metzner A, Tilz R, Zerm T, Köster I, Fürnkranz A, Koektuerk B, Konstantinidou M, Antz M, Ouyang F, Kuck KH (2009) The ‘single big cryoballoon’ technique for acute pulmonary vein isolation in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: a prospective observational single centre study. Eur Heart J 30:699–709CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Defaye P, Kane A, Jacon P, Mondesert B (2010) Cryoballoon for pulmonary vein isolation: is it better tolerated than radiofrequency? Retrospective study comparing the use of analgesia and sedation in both ablation techniques. Arch Cardiovasc Dis 103(6–7):388–393Google Scholar
- 11.Di Giovanni G, Wauters K, Chierchia GB, Sieira J, Levinstein M, Conte G, de Asmundis C, Baltogiannis G, Saitoh Y, Ciconte G, Julia J, Mugnai G, Irfan G, Brugada P (2014) One-year follow-up after single procedure cryoballoon ablation: a comparison between the first and second generation balloon. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 25(8):834–839CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Fürnkranz A, Bordignon S, Dugo D, Perotta L, Gunawardene M, Schulte-Hahn B, Nowak B, Schmidt B, Chun J (2014) Improved 1-year clinical success rate of pulmonary vein isolation with the second-generation cryoballoon in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 25(8):840–844CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Herrera Siklódy C, Arentz T, Minners J, Jesel L, Stratz C, Valina CM, Weber R, Kalusche D, Toti F, Morel O, Trenk D (2012) Cellular damage, platelet activation, and inflammatory response after pulmonary vein isolation: a randomized study comparing radiofrequency ablation with cryoablation. Heart Rhythm 9(2):189 – 96CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Higgins J, Green S (eds) (2011) Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0 (updated March 2011). The Cochrane collaboration. http://www.cochrane-handbook.org. Accessed May 2016
- 16.Hunter RJ, Baker V, Finlay MC, Duncan ER, Lovell MJ, Tayebjee MH, Ullah W, Siddiqui MS, McLEAN A, Richmond L, Kirkby C, Ginks MR, Dhinoja M, Sporton S, Earley MJ, Schilling RJ (2015) Point-by-point radiofrequency ablation versus the cryoballoon or a novel combined approach: a randomized trial comparing 3 methods of pulmonary vein isolation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (the cryo versus RF trial). J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 26(12):1307–1314CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Kardos A, Kis Z, Som Z, Nagy Z, Foldesi C (2016) Two-year follow-up after contact force sensing radiofrequency catheter and second-generation cryoballoon ablation for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: a comparative single centre study. Biomed Res Int 2016:6495753CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.Luik A, Radzewitz A, Kieser M, Walter M, Bramlage P, Hörmann P, Schmidt K, Horn N, Brinkmeier-Theofanopoulou M, Kunzmann K, Riexinger T, Schymik G, Merkel M, Schmitt C (2015) Cryoballoon versus open irrigated radiofrequency ablation in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: the prospective, randomized, controlled, noninferiority FreezeAF study. Circulation 132(14):1311–1319CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.Marijon E, Fazaa S, Narayanan K, Guy-Moyat B, Bouzeman A, Providencia R, Treguer F, Combes N, Bortone A, Boveda S, Combes S, Albenque JP (2014) Real-time contact force sensing for pulmonary vein isolation in the setting of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: procedural and 1-year results. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 25(2):130–137CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Metzner A, Heeger CH, Wohlmuth P, Reißmann B, Rillig A, Tilz RR, Mathew S, Lemes C, Deiß S, Maurer T, Saguner A, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Wißner E (2016) Two-year outcome after pulmonary vein isolation using the second-generation 28-mm cryoballoon: lessons from the bonus freeze protocol. Clin Res Cardiol 105(1):72 – 8CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff1 J, Altman D (2009) Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. BMJ 2009:339Google Scholar
- 28.Mugnai G, Chierchia GB, de Asmundis C, Sieira-Moret J, Conte G, Capulzini L, Wauters K, Rodriguez-Mañero M, Di Giovanni G, Baltogiannis G, Ciconte G, Saitoh Y, Juliá J, Brugada P (2014) Comparison of pulmonary vein isolation using cryoballoon versus conventional radiofrequency for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Am J Cardiol 113(9):1509–1513CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Natale A, Reddy VY, Monir G, Wilber DJ, Lindsay BD, McElderry HT, Kantipudi C, Mansour MC, Melby DP, Packer DL, Nakagawa H, Zhang B, Stagg RB, Boo LM, Marchlinski FE (2014) Paroxysmal AF catheter ablation with a contact force sensing catheter: results of the prospective, multicenter SMART-AF trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 19(7):647–656CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Pérez-Castellano N, Fernández-Cavazos R, Moreno J, Cañadas V, Conde A, González-Ferrer JJ, Macaya C, Pérez-Villacastín J (2014) The COR trial: a randomized study with continuous rhythm monitoring to compare the efficacy of cryoenergy and radiofrequency for pulmonary vein isolation. Heart Rhythm 11(1):8–14CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Sherman DG, Kim SG, Boop BS, Corley SD, Dimarco JP, Hart RG, Haywood LJ, Hoyte K, Kaufman ES, Kim MH, Nasco E, Waldo AL (2005) Occurrence and characteristics of stroke events in the atrial fibrillation follow-up investigation of sinus rhythm management (AFFIRM) study. Arch Intern Med 165(10):1185–1191CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Squara F, Zhao A, Marijon E, Latcu DG, Providencia R, Di Giovanni G, Jauvert G, Jourda F, Chierchia GB, De Asmundis C, Ciconte G, Alonso C, Grimard C, Boveda S, Cauchemez B, Saoudi N, Brugada P, Albenque JP, Thomas O (2015) Comparison between radiofrequency with contact force-sensing and second-generation cryoballoon for paroxysmal atrial fibrillation catheter ablation: a multicentre European evaluation. Europace 17(5):718–724CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Wilber DJ, Pappone C, Neuzil P, De Paola A, Marchlinski F, Natale A, Macle L, Daoud EG, Calkins H, Hall B, Reddy V, Augello G, Reynolds MR, Vinekar C, Liu CY, Berry SM, Berry DA (2010) Comparison of antiarrhythmic drug therapy and radiofrequency catheter ablation in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 303(4):333–340CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar