Acute and long-term outcome of focal atrial tachycardia ablation in the real world: results of the german ablation registry
- 237 Downloads
Catheter ablation of focal atrial tachycardia (FAT) can be a challenging procedure and results have been rarely described. The purpose of this study was to determine the characteristics and results of FAT ablation in the large cohort of the German Ablation Registry.
The German Ablation Registry is a nationwide prospective multicenter database including 12566 patients who underwent an ablation procedure between 2007 and 2010. Among them 431 (3.4%) underwent an FAT ablation and 413 patients with documented locations were analyzed. Patients were divided into three groups according to the FAT location: biatrial (BiA, n = 31, 7.5%), left atrial (LA, n = 110, 26.5%), and right atrial (RA, n = 272, 66%).
Acute success rate was 84% (68 vs. 85 vs. 85% in biA, LA, and RA, respectively, p = 0.038). 4.8% of patients had an early recurrence during hospitalization, most in biatrial location (p < 0.001). No major acute complication occurred. At 12 months, 81% were asymptomatic or improved. The incidence of major adverse cardiovascular and cerebrovascular events (MACCE) was 3.7%. Arrhythmia freedom without antiarrhythmic drugs was 58% and was lower in biA (34 vs. 56% in LA vs. 62% in RA, p = 0.019). Early recurrence during hospitalization was an outstanding predictive factor for recurrence during follow-up.
In this large patient population, FAT ablation had a relatively high acute success rate with a low complication rate. During follow-up, the recurrence rate was high, particularly in biatrial location. This was frequently predicted by an early recurrence during hospitalization.
KeywordsFocal atrial tachycardia Catheter ablation Results
The work was supported by an unrestricted grant from foundation ‘Stiftung Institut für Herzinfarktforschung Ludwigshafen’ (Ludwigshafen, Germany) and minor unrestricted grants from Medtronic, Biosense Webster, and Biotronik.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
- 1.Ferrero de Loma-Osorio A, Diaz-Infante E, Macias Gallego A, Spanish Catheter Ablation Registry C (2013) Spanish catheter ablation registry. 12th official report of the Spanish Society of Cardiology working group on electrophysiology and arrhythmias. Rev Esp Cardiol (Engl Ed) 66:983 – 92CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Chen SA, Chiang CE, Yang CJ, Cheng CC, Wu TJ, Wang SP, Chiang BN, Chang MS (1994) Sustained atrial tachycardia in adult patients. Electrophysiological characteristics, pharmacological response, possible mechanisms, and effects of radiofrequency ablation. Circulation 90:1262–1278CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Page RL, Joglar JA, Caldwell MA, Calkins H, Conti JB, Deal BJ, Estes NA, 3rd, Field ME, Goldberger ZD, Hammill SC, Indik JH, Lindsay BD, Olshansky B, Russo AM, Shen WK, Tracy CM, Al-Khatib SM, Evidence Review Committee Chairdouble d (2016) 2015 ACC/AHA/HRS guideline for the management of adult patients with supraventricular tachycardia: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on clinical practice guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation 133:e506–e574CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Brachmann J, Lewalter T, Kuck KH, Andresen D, Willems S, Spitzer SG, Straube F, Schumacher B, Eckardt L, Danilovic D, Thomas D, Hochadel M, Senges J (2017) Long-term symptom improvement and patient satisfaction following catheter ablation of supraventricular tachycardia: insights from the German ablation registry. Eur Heart J 38(17):1317–1326CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Fichtner S, Senges J, Hochadel M, Tilz R, Willems S, Eckardt L, Deneke T, Lewalter T, Dorwarth U, Reithmann C, Brachmann J, Steinbeck G, Kaab S, German Ablation R (2017) Safety and efficacy in ablation of premature ventricular contraction: data from the German ablation registry. Clin Res Cardiol 106:49–57CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Saoudi N, Cosio F, Waldo A, Chen SA, Iesaka Y, Lesh M, Saksena S, Salerno J, Schoels W, Working Group of Arrhythmias of the European of C, The North American Society of P and Electrophysiology (2001) A classification of atrial flutter and regular atrial tachycardia according to electrophysiological mechanisms and anatomical bases; a statement from a Joint Expert Group from The Working Group of Arrhythmias of the European Society of Cardiology and the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology. Eur Heart J 22:1162–1182CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Camm AJ, Kirchhof P, Lip GY, Schotten U, Savelieva I, Ernst S, Van Gelder IC, Al-Attar N, Hindricks G, Prendergast B, Heidbuchel H, Alfieri O, Angelini A, Atar D, Colonna P, De Caterina R, De Sutter J, Goette A, Gorenek B, Heldal M, Hohloser SH, Kolh P, Le Heuzey JY, Ponikowski P, Rutten FH (2010) Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: the task force for the management of atrial fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J 31:2369–2429Google Scholar
- 13.Sohns C, Saguner AM, Lemes C, Santoro F, Mathew S, Heeger C, Reissmann B, Maurer T, Riedl J, Fink T, Hayashi K, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Metzner A (2016) First clinical experience using a novel high-resolution electroanatomical mapping system for left atrial ablation procedures. Clin Res Cardiol 105:992–1002CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Reents T, Jilek C, Schuster P, Nolker G, Koch-Buttner K, Ammar-Busch S, Semmler V, Bourier F, Kottmaier M, Kornmayer M, Brooks S, Fichtner S, Kolb C, Deisenhofer I, Hessling G (2017) Multicenter, randomized comparison between magnetically navigated and manually guided radiofrequency ablation of atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia (the MagMa-AVNRT-trial). Clin Res Cardiol 106:947–952CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Makimoto H, Heeger CH, Lin T, Rillig A, Metzner A, Wissner E, Mathew S, Deiss S, Rausch P, Lemes C, Kuck KH, Ouyang F, Tilz RR (2015) Comparison of contact force-guided procedure with non-contact force-guided procedure during left atrial mapping and pulmonary vein isolation: impact of contact force on recurrence of atrial fibrillation. Clin Res Cardiol 104:861 – 70CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 17.Metzner A, Heeger CH, Wohlmuth P, Reissmann B, Rillig A, Tilz RR, Mathew S, Lemes C, Deiss S, Maurer T, Saguner A, Ouyang F, Kuck KH, Wissner E (2016) Two-year outcome after pulmonary vein isolation using the second-generation 28-mm cryoballoon: lessons from the bonus freeze protocol. Clin Res Cardiol 105:72 – 8CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kistler PM, Sanders P, Fynn SP, Stevenson IH, Hussin A, Vohra JK, Sparks PB, Kalman JM (2003) Electrophysiological and electrocardiographic characteristics of focal atrial tachycardia originating from the pulmonary veins: acute and long-term outcomes of radiofrequency ablation. Circulation 108:1968–1975CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar