Tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion and right ventricular ejection fraction in pediatric and adolescent patients with tetralogy of Fallot, patients with atrial septal defect, and age-matched normal subjects
- 366 Downloads
To determine whether TAPSE is an accurate marker of right ventricular (RV) systolic function in patients with tetralogy of Fallot (TOF) and patients with small atrial septal defect (ASD). The tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion (TAPSE) values were measured and compared with RV ejection fraction (EF).
Methods and results
A prospective study was conducted in pediatric and adolescent patients with TOF (n = 110), with isolated small secundum ASD (n = 200), and age-matched patients with normally structured heart. The TAPSE values showed a positive correlation with age in both patients with ASD and normal subjects. No significant difference of TAPSE values was seen in control subjects and age-matched ASD patients. The TAPSE was not decreased compared to normal subjects in eight infant TOF patients before corrective surgery. A reduction of TAPSE values with increasing time interval following corrective surgery was seen. After a mean of 7 years TAPSE values become significantly reduced compared to age-matched controls, being below the lower bound of the −2 SD.
In ASD patients the systolic RV function was preserved over the pediatric age group when compared to normal subjects. In contrast, although initially preserved, we found an impaired TAPSE with increasing postoperative period in our TOF patients.
KeywordsTricuspid annular plane systolic excursion Right ventricular systolic function Pediatric patients Tetralogy of Fallot
Atrial septal defect
Body surface area
Tetralogy of Fallot
Magnetic resonance imaging
New York Heart Association
Tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion
There are no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Ghio S, Recusani F, Klersy C, Sebastiani R, Laudisa ML, Campana C, Gavazzi A, Tavazzi L (2000) Prognostic usefulness of the tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion in patients with congestive heart failure secondary to idiopathic or ischemic dilated cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 85:837–842CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Lang RM, Bierig M, Devereux RB, Flachskampf FA, Foster E, Pelikka PA, Picard MH, Roman MJ, Seward J, Shanewise JS, Solomon SD, Spencer KT, Sutton MS, Stewart WJ, Chamber Quantification Writing Group, American Society of Echocardiography’s Guidelines, Standards Committee, European Association of Echocardiography (2005) Recommendations for chamber quantifications: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography’s Guidelines and Standards Committee and the Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a branch of the European Society of Cardiology. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 18:1440–1463CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Popescu BA, Antonini-Canterin F, Temporelli P, Giannuzzi P, Bosimini E, Gentile F, Maggioni AP, Tavazzi L, Piazza R, Ascione L, Stoian I, Cervesato E, Popescu AC, Nicolosi GL, GISSI-3 Echo Substudy Investigators (2005) Right ventricular functional recovery after acute myocardial infarction: relation with left ventricular function and interventricular septum motion. GISSI-3 echo substudy. Heart 91:484–488CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Koestenberger M, Ravekes W, Everett A, Stueger HP, Heinzl B, Gamillscheg A, Cvirn G, Boysen A, Fandl A, Nagel B (2009) Right ventricular function in infants, children and adolescents: reference values of the tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion (TAPSE) in 640 healthy patients and calculation of z-score values. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 22:715–719CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Abd El Rahman MY, Abdul-Khaliq H, Vogel M, Alexi-Meskischvili V, Gutberlet M, Hetzer R, Lange PE (2002) Value of the new Doppler-derived myocardial performance index for the evaluation of right and left ventricular function following repair of tetralogy of Fallot. Pediatr Cardiol 23:502–507CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Vliegen HW, van Straten A, Roest AA, Schoof PH, Zwinderman AH, Ottenkamp J, van der Wall EE, Hazekamp MG (2002) Magnetic resonance imaging to assess the hemodynamic effects of pulmonary valve replacement in adults late after repair of tetralogy of Fallot. Circulation 106:1703–1707CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Karapolat H, Demir E, Bozkaya YT, Eyigor S, Nalbantgil S, Durmaz B, Zoghi M (2009) Comparison of hospital-based versus home-based exercise training in patients with heart failure: effects on functional capacity, quality of life, psychological symptoms, and hemodynamic parameters. Clin Res Cardiol 98:635–642CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Arce O, Knudson O, Ellison M, Baselga P, Ivy D, DeGroff C, Valdes-Cruz L (2002) Longitudinal motion of the atrioventricular annuli in children: reference values, growth related changes, and effects of right ventricular volume and pressure overload. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 15:906–916CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Promphan W, Attanawanit S, Wanitkun S, Khowsathit P (2002) The right and left ventricular function after surgical correction with pericardial monocusp in tetralogy of Fallot: mid-term result. J Med Assoc Thai 85(Suppl 4):1266–1274Google Scholar
- 26.Meluzin J, Spinarova L, Bakala J, Toman J, Krejcí J, Hude P, Kára T, Soucek M (2001) Pulsed Doppler tissue imaging of the velocity of tricuspid annular systolic motion; a new, rapid, and non-invasive method of evaluating right ventricular systolic function. Eur Heart J 22:340–348CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 28.Toyono M, Harada K, Tamura M, Yamamoto F, Takada G (2004) Myocardial acceleration during isovolumic contraction as a new index of right ventricular contractile function and its relation to pulmonary regurgitation in patients after repair of tetralogy of Fallot. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 17:332–337CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Knirsch W, Dodge-Khatami A, Kadner A, Kretschmar O, Steiner J, Böttler P, Kececioglu D, Harpes P, Valsangiacomo Buechel ER (2008) Assessment of myocardial function in pediatric patients with operated tetralogy of Fallot: preliminary results with 2D strain echocardiography. Pediatr Cardiol 29:718–725CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Scherptong RW, Mollema SA, Blom NA, Kroft LJ, de Roos A, Vliegen HW, van der Wall EE, Bax JJ, Holman ER (2009) Right ventricular peak systolic longitudinal strain is a sensitive marker for right ventricular deterioration in adult patients with tetralogy of Fallot. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 25:669–676CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Grothues F, Smith GC, Moon JC, Bellenger NG, Collins P, Klein HU, Pennell DJ (2002) Comparison of interstudy reproducibility of cardiovascular magnetic resonance with two-dimensional echocardiography in normal subjects and in patients with heart failure or left ventricular hypertrophy. Am J Cardiol 90:29–34CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 37.Grothoff M, Spors B, Abdul-Khaliq H, Adb El Rahman M, Alexi-Meskishvilli V, Lange P, Felix R, Gutberlet M (2006) Pulmonary regurgitation is a powerful factor influencing QRS duration in patients after surgical repair of tetralogy of Fallot. A magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) study. Clin Res Cardiol 95:643–649CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Schroeder J, Peterschroeder A, Vaske B, Butz T, Barth P, Oldenburg O, Bitter T, Burchert W, Horstkotte D, Langer C (2009) Cardiac volumetry in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction: a comparative study correlating multi-slice computed tomography and magnetic resonance tomography. Reasons for intermodal disagreement. Clin Res Cardiol 98:739–747CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 40.Oosterhof T, Tulevski II, Vliegen HW, Spijkerboer AM, Mulder BJ (2006) Effects of volume and/or pressure overload secondary to congenital heart disease (tetralogy of Fallot or pulmonary stenosis) on right ventricular function using cardiovascular magnetic resonance and B-type natriuretic peptide levels. Am J Cardiol 97:1051–1055CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar