(E)-metanicotine hemigalactarate (TC-2403-12) inhibits IL-8 production in cells of the inflamed mucosa
Nicotine is of therapeutic value in ulcerative colitis, but its administration is connected with adverse events. Nicotine derivatives are currently being tested to maintain the therapeutic effects and minimize adverse events. TC-2403-12 is a (E)-metanicotine hemigalactarate. The aim of this study was to determine the effectiveness of TC-2403-12 in the inhibition of TNF- and lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced cell activation.
Colonic epithelial cells (CEC), monocytes (MM6), granulocytes, and the intestinal epithelial cell line HT-29 were stimulated with TNF and LPS and treated with TC-2403-12. IL-8 secretion in the cell supernatants and NF-κB activation were determined by ELISA. Apoptosis was quantified by flow cytometry.
In MM6 cells, IL-8 secretion was significantly decreased to 30% of control after TC-2403-12 treatment, with best results after pretreatment for 24 h. This decrease in cell activation was not due to apoptosis and was not mediated by inhibition of NF-κB activation. IL-8 production in neutrophils and primary CEC also tended to be decreased after TC-2403-12 treatment. TC-2403-12 had no influence on IL-8 secretion of HT-29 cells.
TC-2403-12 effectively inhibited TNF- and LPS-induced IL-8 production in different cell types. No toxic effects occurred at the concentrations used. Preincubation of cells with TC-2403-12 showed the best effects.
KeywordsNicotine derivatives Ulcerative colitis Interleukin-8 Mucosal inflammation Macrophages Epithelial cells
- 8.de Castella H (1982) Non-smoking: a feature of ulcerative colitis. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 284:1706Google Scholar
- 9.Harries AD, Baird A, Rhodes J (1982) Non-smoking: a feature of ulcerative colitis. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 284:706Google Scholar
- 10.Somerville KW, Logan RF, Edmond M, Langman MJ (1984) Smoking and Crohn’s disease. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 289:954–956Google Scholar
- 22.Sandborn WJ, Tremaine WJ, Leighton JA, Lawson GM, Zins BJ, Compton RF, Mays DC, Lipsky JJ, Batts KP, Offord KP, Hurt RD, Green J (1999) Nicotine tartrate liquid enemas for mildly to moderately active left-sided ulcerative colitis unresponsive to first-line therapy: a pilot study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 11:663–671CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 35.Gijsbers K, Van Assche G, Joossens S, Struyf S, Proost P, Rutgeerts P, Geboes K, van Damme J (2004) CXCR1-binding chemokines in inflammatory bowel diseases: down-regulated IL-8/CXCL8 production by leukocytes in Crohn’s disease and selective GCP-2/CXCL6 expression in inflamed intestinal tissue. Eur J Immunol 34:1992–2000CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Kucharzik T, Williams IR (2002) Neutrophil migration across the intestinal epithelial barrier—summary of in vitro data and description of a new transgenic mouse model with doxycycline-inducible interleukin-8 expression in intestinal epithelial cells. Pathobiology 70:143–149CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar