Long-term effect of 5-fluorouracil enhanced by intermittent administration of polysaccharide K after curative resection of colon cancer
- 178 Downloads
Background and aims
The efficacy of a biological response modifier polysaccharide K in adjuvant immunochemotherapy was evaluated in primary colon cancer patients with macroscopic Dukes' C after curative resection.
Patients and methods
Employing the minimization method using three factors (lymph node metastases, preoperative serum CEA level, and institution), 446 patients were allocated into groups P and C. Group P received immunochemotherapy, oral PSK (3 g per day) followed by oral 5-FU (200 mg/body per day), while group C received only intermittent chemotherapy, oral 5-FU (200 mg per day) followed by 4-week rest. Both groups received ten courses.
Survival for cancer death was significantly higher in group P than in group C, but there was no difference in 7-year disease-free survival or overall survival had.
Repeated alternating administration with PSK followed by 5-FU can improve survival for cancer death.
Keywords5-Fluorouracil Polysaccharide K Colon cancer Immunochemotherapy Intermittent administration
We thank Ms. Atsuko Tanaka for the assistance in the preparation of the manuscript.
- 1.Statistics and Information Department, Minister's Secretariat, Ministry of Health and Welfare (ed) (2000) Vital statistics of Japan 1998, vol 1. Foundation of Statistics of Public Welfare Association, Tokyo, JapanGoogle Scholar
- 5.Yasutomi M (ed) (1997) Japanese classification of colorectal carcinoma, 6th edn. Japanese Society for Cancer of the Colon and Rectum. Kanehara, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- 6.Nakazato H, Ito K, Takagi H, Saji S, Koike A, Baba S, Mai M, Ohashi Y, Sakamoto J (1999) A randomized clinical trial on adjuvant immunochemotherapy with protein bound polysaccharide K (PSK) after curative resection of colon cancer. Presented at Am Soc Clin Oncol Annual Meeting, Atlanta, 15–18 MayGoogle Scholar
- 8.Koike A, Kojima T, Kanemitsu T, Kato K, Naruse T, Suzumura K, Matsumoto K, Yamamoto S (1990) Treatment of advanced colorectal and gastric carcinomas with a 48-hour infusion of 5-fluorouracil. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol [Suppl]116:660Google Scholar
- 9.Koike A, Matsumoto K, Suzumura K, Saegusa J, Inamura Y, Kojima T, Kato K, Kanemitsu T, Naruse T, Yamamoto S (1990) Efficacy of a 48-hour infusion of 5-fluorouracil in patients with Stage IV gastric cancer after palliative gastrectomy (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Cancer Chemother 17:1309–1314Google Scholar
- 10.Moertel CG, O'Fallon JR, Go VLW, O'Connel MJ, Thynne GS (1986) The preoperative carcinoembryonic antigen test in the diagnosis, staging, and prognosis of colorectal cancer. Cancer 58:603–610Google Scholar
- 13.Takashima S, Kinami Y, Miyazaki I (1988) Clinical effect of postoperative adjuvant immunochemotherapy with FT-207 suppository and PSK for colo-rectal cancer patients (in Japanese with English abstract). Jpn J Cancer Chemother 15:2229–2236Google Scholar
- 15.Mitomi T, Tsuchiya S, Iijima N, Aso K, Suzuki K, Nishiyama K, Amano T, Takahashi T, Murayama N, Oka H (1992) Randomized, controlled study on adjuvant immunochemotherapy with PSK in curatively resected colorectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 35:123–130Google Scholar
- 16.Mitomi T, Tsuchiya S, Iijima N, Aso K, Nishiyama K, Amano T, Takahashi T, Oka H, Murayama N, Oya K, Noto T, Ogawa N (1993) Randomized controlled study on adjuvant immunochemotherapy with PSK in curatively resected colorectal cancer-5 years follow-up after surgery (a final report) (in Japanese with English abstract). J Jpn Soc Cancer Ther 28:71–83Google Scholar
- 20.Kondo T, Sakamoto J, Ichihashi H, Kamei H (1981) Effect of alternating administration of PS-K and carbazilquinone in tumor-bearing mice. Gann 72:293–299Google Scholar
- 21.Kondo T, Ichihashi H, Nakazato H, Ogawa N (1989) Result of adjuvant immunochemotherapy on 8-year survival using Krestin and Futraful for gastric cancer patients who underwent radical gastrectomy—a randomized controlled trial by cooperative study group (in Japanese with English abstract). Biotherapy 3:655–664Google Scholar
- 23.Nakazato H, Koike A, Saji S (1990) Evaluation of PSK for gastric cancer patients who underwent radical gastrectomy (in Japanese with English abstract). Biotherapy 4:884–891Google Scholar
- 25.Kunieda K, Saji S, Tanemura H, Kato M, Sugiyama Y, Takao H, Umemoto T, Miya K, Azuma S, Furuta T (1992) Significance of preoperative serum IAP value for gastric cancer in terms of indication of postoperative BRM therapy (in Japanese with English abstract). J Jpn Soc Cancer Ther 27:1713–1721Google Scholar
- 27.Kato M, Hirose K, Hakozaki M, Ohno M, Saito Y, Izutani R, Noguchi J, Hori Y, Okumoto S, Kuroda D (1995) Induction of gene expression for immunomodulating cytokines in peripheral blood mononuclear cells in response to orally administered PSK, an immunomodulating protein-bound polysaccharide. Cancer Immunol Immunother 40:152–156CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 30.Mizutani Y, Yoshida O (1991) Activation by the protein-bound polysaccharide PSK (Krestin) of cytotoxic lymphocytes that act on fresh autologous tumor cells and T24 human urinary bladder transitional carcinoma cell line in patients with urinary bladder cancer. J Urol 145:1082–1087PubMedGoogle Scholar