Primary anastomosis after intraoperative colonic lavage vs. Hartmann's procedure in generalized peritonitis complicating diverticular disease of the colon
- 348 Downloads
Background and aims
For complicated diverticulitis Hartmann's procedure remains the favored option in patients with acute complicated sigmoid disease, but there has been increasing interest in primary resection and anastomosis with intraoperative colonic lavage. This study compared primary resection with intraoperative colonic lavage and Hartmann's procedure.
Patients and methods
Between January 1994 and November 2001, 60 patients underwent emergency laparotomy for diverticular peritonitis (Hinchey stages III and IV). Primary resection and anastomosis with intraoperative colonic lavage was performed in 27 patients and Hartmann's procedure in 33. All data were collected prospectively on a standardized form.
Mortality with intraoperative colonic lavage was 11% and with Hartmann's procedure 12%. The incidence of postoperative complication was significantly higher after Hartmann's procedure. The mean hospital stay was significantly longer after Hartmann's procedure than after primary resection with intraoperative colic lavage.
Primary resection with intraoperative colonic lavage compares favorably with Hartmann's procedure for diffuse purulent peritonitis in complicated diverticulitis. It should be an alternative to Hartmann's procedure in stercoral peritonitis.
KeywordsDiverticulitis Peritonitis Primary resection Intracolonic lavage Hartman's procedure
- 1.Zeitoun G, Laurent A, Rouffet F, Hay JM, Fingerhut A, Pacquet JC, Peillon C and the French Associations for Surgical Research (2000) Multicenter, randomized clinical trial of primary versus secondary sigmoid resection in generalized peritonitis complicating sigmoid diverticulitis. Br J Surg 87:1366–1374CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 2.Belmonte C, Klas JV, Javier Perez J, Wong WD, Rothenberger DA, Goldberg SM, Madoff RD (1996) The Hartmann's procedure: first choice or last resort in diverticular disease? Arch Surg 131:612–615Google Scholar
- 10.Wacha H, Linder MM, Wesch G, Gundlach E, Steifensand RA (1987) Manheim peritonitis index—prediction of risk of death from peritonitis: construction of a statistical and validation of an empirically based index. Theor Surg 1:169–177Google Scholar
- 11.Arnaud JP, Casa C, Georgeac C, Ronceray J, Serra-Maudet V, Kanane S (1994) L'irrigation colique per-opératoire dans le traitement en urgences des lésions occlusives du colon gauche. J Chir (Paris) 131:538–540Google Scholar
- 16.Feres O, Monteiro dos Santos Jr JC, Andrade JI (2001) The role of mechanical bowel preparation for colonic resection and anastomosis: an experimental study. Int J Colorectal Dis 16:353–356Google Scholar