Pediatric diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma patients from a single center
- 541 Downloads
The prognosis of children with diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomas (DIPG) is dismal. This study aims to evaluate the characteristics and treatment outcome of children with DIPG in a single center.
We reviewed the outcome of children with DIPG treated at the Oncology Institute of Istanbul University from February 1999 to May 2012.
Fifty children (26 female, 24 male) with the median age of 7 years were analyzed. The median duration of symptoms was 30 days. All patients received radiotherapy (RT). Before the year 2000, 12 patients received only RT. Thirty-eight had concomitant and/or adjuvant chemotherapy with RT. Between 2000 and 2004, 17 patients received cis-platinum or vincristine as sensitizers during RT and CCNU + vincristine combination after RT. Since 2004, 21 patients received temozolomide (TMZ) concomitantly during RT and as adjuvant chemotherapy after RT. The median survival time of all patients was 13 months (1–160 months). Patients receiving RT + TMZ had a significantly higher overall survival than patients with only RT (p = 0.018). Patients receiving RT + chemotherapy other than TMZ also had a significantly higher overall survival than patients receiving only RT (p = 0.013). Patients receiving RT + TMZ + and chemotherapy other than TMZ had a significantly higher survival than patients receiving only RT (p = 0.005).
In our series, patients receiving RT + TMZ and also patients receiving RT + chemotherapy other than TMZ had a significantly higher overall survival than patients treated with only RT. Hence, administering chemotherapy during and after RT seems to prolong survival in some DIPG patients.
KeywordsDiffuse pontine glioma Pediatric Radiotherapy Temozolomide
Prof. Dr. Rian Disci is the statistics professor at Istanbul University Oncology Institute. The authors thank Prof. Dr. Riyan Disci for reviewing the statistical analysis. This study was partly presented as a poster at the 48th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, 1–5 June 2012, Chicago, IL, USA.
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflict of interest to declare.
- 3.Bernier-Chastagner V, Grill J, Doz F, Bracard S, Gentet JC, Marie-Cardine A et al (2005) Topotecan as a radiosensitizer in the treatment of children with malignant diffuse brain stem gliomas: results of a French Society of Paediatric Oncology Phase II Study. Cancer 104:2792–2797PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Broniscer A, Iacono L, Chintagumpala M, Fouladi M, Wallace D, Bowers DC, Stewart C, Krasin MJ, Gajjar A (2005) Role of temozolomide after radiotherapy for newly diagnosed diffuse brain stem glioma in children: results of a multiinstitutional study (SJHG-98). Cancer 103:133–139PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Chiang KL, Chang KP, Lee YY, Huang PI, Hsu TR, Chen YW, Chang FC, Wong TT (2010) Role of temozolomide in the treatment of newly diagnosed diffuse brainstem glioma in children: experience at a single institution. Childs Nerv Syst 26: 1035–1041Google Scholar
- 11.Fisher PG, Breiter SN, Carson BS, Wharam MD, Williams JA, Weingart JD, Foer DR, Goldthwaite PT, Tihan T, Burger PC (2000) A clinicopathologic reappraisal of brain stem tumor classification. Identification of pilocystic astrocytoma and fibrillary astrocytoma as distinct entities. Cancer 89:1569–1576PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Kim CY, Kim SK, Phi JH, Lee MM, Kim IA, Kim IH, Wang KC, Jung HL, Lee MJ, Cho BK (2010) A prospective study of temozolomide plus talidomide during and after radiation therapy for pediatric diffuse pontine gliomas: preliminary results of the Korean Society for Pediatric Neuro-Oncology study. J Neurooncol 100:193–198PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Lashford LS, Thiesse P, Jouvet A, Jaspan T, Couanet D, Griffiths PD, Doz F, Ironside J et al (2002) Temozolomide in malignant gliomas of childhood: a United Kingdom Children’s Cancer Study Group and French Society for Pediatric Oncology Intergroup Study. J Clin Oncol 20:4684–4691PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Perry JR, Belanger K, Mason WP, Fulton D, Kavan P, Easaw J, Shields C, Kirby S, Macdonald DR, Eisenstat DD, Thiessen B, Forsyth P, Pouliot JF (2010) Phase II trial of continuous dose-intense temozolomide in recurrent malignant glioma: RESCUE study. J Clin Oncol 28:2051–2057PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Sirachainan N, Pakakasama S, Visudithbhan A, Chiamchanya S, Tuntiyatorn L, Dhanachai M, Laothamatas J, Hongeng S (2008) Concurrent radiotherapy with temozolomide followed by adjuvant temozolomide and cis-retinoic acid in children with diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma. Neuro Oncol 10:577–582PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Zarghooni M, Bartels U, Lee E, Buczkowicz P, Morrison A, Huang A, Bouffet E, Hawkins C (2010) Whole-genome profiling of pediatric diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomas highlights platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha and poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase as potential therapeutic targets. J Clin Oncol 28:1337–1344PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar