Scalp dermoids: a review of their anatomy, diagnosis, and treatment
- 657 Downloads
Scalp dermoid cysts are subcutaneous sacs lined with a stratified squamous epithelium containing developmentally mature ectodermal tissues, including skin, hair follicles, sweat glands, and sebaceous glands.
Because they consist of developmentally mature tissues, scalp dermoid cysts are generally benign. Typically, cysts are limited to an extracranial location, and management generally involves simple surgical resection.
Because of the potential for intracranial and/or intradural extension associated with some scalp dermoids, however, a comprehensive clinical evaluation incorporating MRI and CT imaging is included in the diagnostic process.
KeywordsDermoid cyst Scalp pathology Skin neoplasms Cyst
- 2.Adouani A, Chennoufi M, Hammoud M, Zribi A, Ben Salem A, Zitouni K, Zairi I, Mokhtar M, Seghir M, Ben Chaabane N, Ben Jilani Baltagi S (2004) Malignant transformation of a dermoid cyst of the scalp. Journal Medical Tunisie 82(10):972–975 (Abstract)Google Scholar
- 4.Al-Khateeb TH, Al-Masri NM, Al-Zoubi F (2009) Cutaneous cysts of the head and neck. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:52–57Google Scholar
- 7.Bland-Sutton J (1907) Tumours innocent and malignant. W.T. Keener, ChicagoGoogle Scholar
- 10.Brownstein MH, Helwig EB (1973) Subcutaneous dermoid cysts. Arch Dermatol 107:237–239Google Scholar
- 11.Chaudhari AB, Ladapo F, Mordi VP, et al (1982) Congenital inclusion cyst of the subgaleal space. J Neurosurg 56:540–544Google Scholar
- 12.Chaudhari AB, Rosenthal AD, Lipper S (1984) Congenital inclusion cysts of the subgaleal space. Surg Neurol 21:61–66Google Scholar
- 13.Cooper S (1822) A dictionary of practical surgery: comprending all the most interesting improvements, from the earliest times down to the present period; an account of the instruments, remedies, and applications employed in surgery; the etymology and signification of the principal terms; and numerous references to ancient and modern works, forming together a Catalogue Raisonnee of Surgical Literature; with a variety of original facts and observations. LondonGoogle Scholar
- 17.Goldsmith L, Katz S, Gilchrest B, Paller A, Leffell D, Wolff K (1993) Fitzpatrick’s dermatology in general medicine. McGraw-Hill Health Professions Division, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 21.New GB, Erich JB (1937) Dermoid cysts of the head and neck. Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics 65:48–55Google Scholar
- 25.Pryor SG, Lewis JE, Weaver AL, Orvidas LJ (2005) Pediatric dermoid cysts of the head and neck. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:938-942Google Scholar