Association between C-reactive protein levels at hospital admission and long-term mortality in patients with acute decompensated heart failure
The C-reactive protein (CRP) levels obtained at hospital admission are associated with the prognosis of several cardiovascular diseases, including acute coronary syndrome. Although the admission CRP level is associated with in-hospital mortality in patients with acute decompensated heart failure (ADHF), there are limited data on the association between the admission CRP level and long-term mortality in patients with ADHF. This study included consecutive ADHF patients admitted to our institution from 2007 to 2011. Eligible patients were divided into four groups based on quartiles of admission CRP levels. The association between the admission CRP level and long-term mortality was assessed by multivariable Cox proportional analysis, including other independent variables with p values < 0.1 in the univariable analyses. Overall, 527 eligible patients were examined. There were 142 deaths (27%) during a median follow-up period of 2.0 years. In the multivariable analysis, the hazard ratio (HR) significantly increased with admission CRP levels in a dose-dependent manner for mortality (p for trend = 0.034). Multivariable analysis also showed a significant association between the admission CRP level, when treated as a natural logarithm-transformed continuous variable, and increased mortality (HR 1.16, p = 0.030). In patients with ADHF, the admission CRP level was associated with an increased risk of long-term mortality.
KeywordsHeart failure Biomarker CRP Mortality
A grant was awarded to The Intractable Respiratory Diseases and Pulmonary Hypertension Research Group, from the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, Grant/Award Number: H29-027; Health, Labour and Welfare Sciences Research Grants, Research on Region Medical, Grant/Award Number: H30-iryou-ippan-009; MEXT-Supported Program for the Strategic Research Foundation at Private Universities, 2014–2018 (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology); JSPS KAKENHI, Grant/Award Number: JP17K09527.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Drs. Hiroki Matsumoto, Takatoshi Kasai, Akihiro Sato, Sayaki Ishiwata, and Yuya Matsue are affiliated with a department endowed by Philips Respironics, ResMed, and Fukuda Denshi. Dr. Hiroyuki Daida received research grants from various pharmaceutical companies and payment for lectures, including service in speakers’ bureaus from Medtronic Japan, AstraZeneca K.K., MSD K.K., Ono Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd, GlaxoSmithKline K.K., Shionogi & Co. Ltd, Daiichi Sankyo Company, Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd, Nippon Boehringer Ingelheim Co. Ltd, Bayer Yakuhin, Ltd, Terumo Corporation, and Astellas Pharma Inc. The other authors report no conflicts of interest.
- 1.Hunt SA, Abraham WT, Chin MH, Feldman AM, Francis GS, Ganiats TG, Jessup M, Konstam MA, Mancini DM, Michl K, Oates JA, Rahko PS, Silver MA, Stevenson LW, Yancy CW, American College of Cardiology F and American Heart A (2009) Focused update incorporated into the ACC/AHA 2005 guidelines for the diagnosis and management of heart failure in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines developed in collaboration with the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation. J Am Coll Cardiol 53:e1–e90PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Mentz RJ, Kelly JP, von Lueder TG, Voors AA, Lam CS, Cowie MR, Kjeldsen K, Jankowska EA, Atar D, Butler J, Fiuzat M, Zannad F, Pitt B, O′Connor CM (2014) Noncardiac comorbidities in heart failure with reduced versus preserved ejection fraction. J Am Coll Cardiol 64:2281–2293PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 9.Anand IS, Latini R, Florea VG, Kuskowski MA, Rector T, Masson S, Signorini S, Mocarelli P, Hester A, Glazer R, Cohn JN, Val-He FTI (2005) C-reactive protein in heart failure: prognostic value and the effect of valsartan. Circulation 112:1428–1434Google Scholar
- 11.Tanner H, Mohacsi P, Fuller-Bicer GA, Rieben R, Meier B, Hess O, Hullin R (2007) Cytokine activation and disease progression in patients with stable moderate chronic heart failure. J Heart Lung Transpl 26:622–629Google Scholar
- 21.Vasan RS, Sullivan LM, Roubenoff R, Dinarello CA, Harris T, Benjamin EJ, Sawyer DB, Levy D, Wilson PW, D'Agostino RB, Framingham Heart S (2003) Inflammatory markers and risk of heart failure in elderly subjects without prior myocardial infarction: the Framingham Heart Study. Circulation 107:1486–1491Google Scholar
- 28.Wu CK, Lee JK, Chiang FT, Yang CH, Huang SW, Hwang JJ, Lin JL, Tseng CD, Chen JJ, Tsai CT (2011) Plasma levels of tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-6 are associated with diastolic heart failure through downregulation of sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase. Crit Care Med 39:984–992PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Yoshida T, Friehs I, Mummidi S, del Nido PJ, Addulnour-Nakhoul S, Delafontaine P, Valente AJ, Chandrasekar B (2014) Pressure overload induces IL-18 and IL-18R expression, but markedly suppresses IL-18BP expression in a rabbit model. IL-18 potentiates TNF-alpha-induced cardiomyocyte death. J Mol Cell Cardiol 75:141–151PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 35.Sager HB, Heidt T, Hulsmans M, Dutta P, Courties G, Sebas M, Wojtkiewicz GR, Tricot B, Iwamoto Y, Sun Y, Weissleder R, Libby P, Swirski FK, Nahrendorf M (2015) Targeting Interleukin-1beta reduces leukocyte production after acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 132:1880–1890PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 39.Maisel A, Neath SX, Landsberg J, Mueller C, Nowak RM, Peacock WF, Ponikowski P, Mockel M, Hogan C, Wu AH, Richards M, Clopton P, Filippatos GS, Di Somma S, Anand I, Ng LL, Daniels LB, Christenson RH, Potocki M, McCord J, Terracciano G, Hartmann O, Bergmann A, Morgenthaler NG, Anker SD (2012) Use of procalcitonin for the diagnosis of pneumonia in patients presenting with a chief complaint of dyspnoea: results from the BACH (Biomarkers in Acute Heart Failure) trial. Eur J Heart Fail 14:278–286PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 40.Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD, Bueno H, Cleland JGF, Coats AJS, Falk V, Gonzalez-Juanatey JR, Harjola VP, Jankowska EA, Jessup M, Linde C, Nihoyannopoulos P, Parissis JT, Pieske B, Riley JP, Rosano GMC, Ruilope LM, Ruschitzka F, Rutten FH, van der Meer P, Group ESCSD (2016) ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: the task force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J 37:2129–2200Google Scholar
- 42.Siirila-Waris K, Lassus J, Melin J, Peuhkurinen K, Nieminen MS, Harjola VP, Group F-AS (2006) Characteristics, outcomes, and predictors of 1-year mortality in patients hospitalized for acute heart failure. Eur Heart J 27:3011–3017Google Scholar
- 48.Bozkurt B, Torre-Amione G, Warren MS, Whitmore J, Soran OZ, Feldman AM, Mann DL (2001) Results of targeted anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy with etanercept (ENBREL) in patients with advanced heart failure. Circulation 103:1044–1047Google Scholar
- 50.Ridker PM, Everett BM, Thuren T, MacFadyen JG, Chang WH, Ballantyne C, Fonseca F, Nicolau J, Koenig W, Anker SD, Kastelein JJP, Cornel JH, Pais P, Pella D, Genest J, Cifkova R, Lorenzatti A, Forster T, Kobalava Z, Vida-Simiti L, Flather M, Shimokawa H, Ogawa H, Dellborg M, Rossi PRF, Troquay RPT, Libby P, Glynn RJ, Group CT (2017) Antiinflammatory therapy with Canakinumab for atherosclerotic disease. N Engl J Med 377:1119–1131Google Scholar
- 51.Trankle CR, Canada JM, Cei L, Abouzaki N, Oddi-Erdle C, Kadariya D, Christopher S, Viscusi M, Del Buono M, Kontos MC, Arena R, Van Tassell B, Abbate A (2018) Usefulness of Canakinumab to improve exercise capacity in patients with long-term systolic heart failure and elevated C-reactive protein. Am J Cardiol 122:1366–1370PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 52.Van Tassell BW, Abouzaki NA, Oddi Erdle C, Carbone S, Trankle CR, Melchior RD, Turlington JS, Thurber CJ, Christopher S, Dixon DL, Fronk DT, Thomas CS, Rose SW, Buckley LF, Dinarello CA, Biondi-Zoccai G, Abbate A (2016) Interleukin-1 blockade in acute decompensated heart failure: a randomized, double-blinded, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 67:544–551PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 53.Van Tassell BW, Canada J, Carbone S, Trankle C, Buckley L, Oddi Erdle C, Abouzaki NA, Dixon D, Kadariya D, Christopher S, Schatz A, Regan J, Viscusi M, Del Buono M, Melchior R, Mankad P, Lu J, Sculthorpe R, Biondi-Zoccai G, Lesnefsky E, Arena R, Abbate A (2017) Interleukin-1 blockade in recently decompensated systolic heart failure: results from REDHART (recently decompensated heart failure anakinra response trial). Circ Heart Fail 10:e004373PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar