Impact of admission liver stiffness on long-term clinical outcomes in patients with acute decompensated heart failure
- 57 Downloads
Liver stiffness (LS) has been reported to be a marker of liver congestion caused by elevated central venous pressure in heart failure (HF) patients. Recent studies demonstrated that LS could be non-invasively measured by virtual touch quantification (VTQ). However, its prognostic implication in patients with acute decompensated heart failure (ADHF) is unclear. This study sought to determine whether LS measured by VTQ could be a determinant of subsequent adverse events in ADHF patients. We prospectively recruited 70 ADHF patients who underwent LS measurement by VTQ on admission in our university hospital between June 2016 and April 2018. The primary outcome of interest was the composite of all-cause mortality and worsening HF. During a median follow-up period of 272 (interquartile range 122–578) days, there were 26 (37%) events, including 5 (7%) deaths and 21 (30%) cases of worsening HF. The c-index of LS for predicting the composite of adverse events was 0.77 (95% CI 0.66–0.88), and the optimal cut-off value of LS was 1.50 m/s. Adverse events were more frequently observed in patients with high LS (≥ 1.50 m/s) compared to those with low LS (< 1.50 m/s). Multivariable Cox regression analyzes revealed that higher LS was independently associated with increased subsequent risk of adverse events after adjustment for confounders. In conclusion, high admission LS was an independent determinant of worse clinical outcomes in patients with ADHF. This finding suggests that LS on admission is useful for risk stratification of patients with ADHF.
KeywordsAcute decompensated heart failure Liver stiffness Prognosis Venous congestion
The authors are grateful to Kota Ohno, PhD, for statistical support.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
No conflict of interest to declare.
- 4.Merrer J, De Jonghe B, Golliot F, Lefrant JY, Raffy B, Barre E, Rigaud JP, Casciani D, Misset B, Bosquet C, Outin H, Brun-Buisson C, Nitenberg G (2001) Complications of femoral and subclavian venous catheterization in critically ill patients: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 286:700–707CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hopper I, Kemp W, Porapakkham P, Sata Y, Condon E, Skiba M, Farber L, Porapakkham P, Williams TJ, Menahem S, Roberts S, Krum H (2012) Impact of heart failure and changes to volume status on liver stiffness: non-invasive assessment using transient elastography. Eur J Heart Fail 14:621–627CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Potthoff A, Schettler A, Attia D, Schlue J, Schmitto JD, Fegbeutel C, Struber M, Haverich A, Manns MP, Wedemeyer H, Gebel M, Schneider A (2015) Liver stiffness measurements and short-term survival after left ventricular assist device implantation: a pilot study. J Heart Lung Transplant 34:1586–1594CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Taniguchi T, Sakata Y, Ohtani T, Mizote I, Takeda Y, Asano Y, Masuda M, Minamiguchi H, Kanzaki M, Ichibori Y, Nishi H, Toda K, Sawa Y, Komuro I (2014) Usefulness of transient elastography for noninvasive and reliable estimation of right-sided filling pressure in heart failure. Am J Cardiol 113:552–558CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Yoshitani T, Asakawa N, Sakakibara M, Noguchi K, Tokuda Y, Kamiya K, Iwano H, Yamada S, Kudou Y, Nishida M, Shimizu C, Amano T, Tsutsui H (2016) Value of virtual touch quantification elastography for assessing liver congestion in patients with heart failure. Circ J 80:1187–1195CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Taniguchi T, Ohtani T, Kioka H, Tsukamoto Y, Onishi T, Nakamoto K, Katsimichas T, Sengoku K, Chimura M, Hashimoto H, Yamaguchi O, Sawa Y, Sakata Y (2018) Liver stiffness reflecting right-sided filling pressure can predict adverse outcomes in patients with heart failure. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcmg.2017.10.022 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Massie BM, O'Connor CM, Metra M, Ponikowski P, Teerlink JR, Cotter G, Weatherley BD, Cleland JG, Givertz MM, Voors A, DeLucca P, Mansoor GA, Salerno CM, Bloomfield DM, Dittrich HC, Committees PIa (2010) Rolofylline, an adenosine A1-receptor antagonist, in acute heart failure. N Engl J Med 363(15):1419–1428CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Teerlink JR, Cotter G, Davison BA, Felker GM, Filippatos G, Greenberg BH, Ponikowski P, Unemori E, Voors AA, Adams KF Jr, Dorobantu MI, Grinfeld LR, Jondeau G, Marmor A, Masip J, Pang PS, Werdan K, Teichman SL, Trapani A, Bush CA, Saini R, Schumacher C, Severin TM, Metra M, RiAHFR-A Investigators (2013) Serelaxin, recombinant human relaxin-2, for treatment of acute heart failure (RELAX-AHF): a randomised, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 381(9860):29–39CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Uthoff H, Thalhammer C, Potocki M, Reichlin T, Noveanu M, Aschwanden M, Staub D, Arenja N, Socrates T, Twerenbold R, Mutschmann-Sanchez S, Heinisch C, Jaeger KA, Mebazaa A, Mueller C (2010) Central venous pressure at emergency room presentation predicts cardiac rehospitalization in patients with decompensated heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail 12:469–476CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Adamson PB, Magalski A, Braunschweig F, Bohm M, Reynolds D, Steinhaus D, Luby A, Linde C, Ryden L, Cremers B, Takle T, Bennett T (2003) Ongoing right ventricular hemodynamics in heart failure: clinical value of measurements derived from an implantable monitoring system. J Am Coll Cardiol 41:565–571CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Maeder MT, Rickli H, Pfisterer ME, Muzzarelli S, Ammann P, Fehr T, Hack D, Weilenmann D, Dieterle T, Kiencke S, Estlinbaum W, Brunner-La Rocca HP (2012) Incidence, clinical predictors, and prognostic impact of worsening renal function in elderly patients with chronic heart failure on intensive medical therapy. Am Heart J 163(407–414):414.e1Google Scholar
- 22.Murata A, Kasai T, Matsue Y, Matsumoto H, Yatsu S, Kato T, Suda S, Hiki M, Takagi A, Daida H (2018) Relationship between blood urea nitrogen-to-creatinine ratio at hospital admission and long-term mortality in patients with acute decompensated heart failure. Heart Vessels 33:877–885CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Takaya Y, Yoshihara F, Yokoyama H, Kanzaki H, Kitakaze M, Goto Y, Anzai T, Yasuda S, Ogawa H, Kawano Y, Kangawa K (2017) Impact of decreased serum albumin levels on acute kidney injury in patients with acute decompensated heart failure: a potential association of atrial natriuretic peptide. Heart Vessels 32:932–943CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Kashiyama N, Toda K, Nakamura T, Miyagawa S, Nishi H, Yoshikawa Y, Fukushima S, Saito S, Yoshioka D, Sawa Y (2017) Evaluation of right ventricular function using liver stiffness in patients with left ventricular assist device. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 51:715–721CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 31.Rizzo L, Calvaruso V, Cacopardo B, Alessi N, Attanasio M, Petta S, Fatuzzo F, Montineri A, Mazzola A, L'Abbate L, Nunnari G, Bronte F, Di Marco V, Craxi A, Camma C (2011) Comparison of transient elastography and acoustic radiation force impulse for non-invasive staging of liver fibrosis in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Am J Gastroenterol 106:2112–2120CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar