Risk factors for post-thrombotic syndrome in patients with deep vein thrombosis: from the COMMAND VTE registry
- 56 Downloads
Post-thrombotic syndrome (PTS) is the most common chronic complication of deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Identifying high-risk patients for the development of PTS might be useful for its prevention. The COMMAND VTE Registry is a multicenter registry that enrolled 3027 consecutive patients with acute symptomatic venous thromboembolisms (VTEs) in Japan between January 2010 and August 2014. The current study population consisted of 1298 patients with lower extremities DVTs who completed 3-year follow-up for those who developed PTS and those without PTS. We investigated risk factors for the development of PTS at the time of DVT diagnosis, using a multivariable logistic regression analysis. Of the entire 1298 study patients, 169 (13%) patients were diagnosed with PTS within 3 years. The rate for anticoagulation discontinuation during follow-up was not significantly different between those with and without PTS. Chronic kidney disease (OR 2.21, 95% CI 1.45–3.39, P < 0.001), leg swelling (OR 4.15, 95% CI 2.25–7.66, P < 0.001), absence of transient risk factors for VTEs (OR 2.39, 95% CI 1.55–3.67, P < 0.001), active cancer (OR 3.66, 95% CI 2.30–5.84, P < 0.001), and thrombophilia (OR 2.07, 95% CI 1.06–4.04, P = 0.03) were independent risk factors for the development of PTS. In this real-world Japanese DVT registry, we could identify several important risk factors for the development of PTS at the time of DVT diagnosis.
KeywordsDeep vein thrombosis Venous thromboembolism Post-thrombotic syndrome Risk factors
We appreciate the support and collaboration of the co-investigators participating in the COMMAND VTE Registry. We are indebted to the independent clinical research organization (Research Institute for Production Development, Kyoto, Japan) for technical support. We also would like to express our gratitude to Mr. John Martin for his grammatical assistance.
The COMMAND VTE Registry is supported by the independent clinical research organization (Research Institute for Production Development, Kyoto, Japan) and research funding from Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation. The research funding had no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; and preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript.
Conflicts of interest
Dr. Yamashita received lecture fees from Daiichi-Sankyo, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and Bayer Healthcare. Dr. Morimoto received lecture fees from Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma and Pfizer Japan and consultant fees from Asahi Kasei, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and Boston Scientific. Dr. Akao received lecture fees from Pfizer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Boehringer Ingelheim, Bayer Healthcare and Daiichi-Sankyo. Dr. Kimura serves as an advisory board member for Abbott Vascular and Terumo Company. All other authors have reported that they have no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose.
- 1.Cohen AT, Agnelli G, Anderson FA, Arcelus JI, Bergqvist D, Brecht JG, Greer IA, Heit JA, Hutchinson JL, Kakkar AK, Mottier D, Oger E, Samama MM, Spannagl M, VTE Impact Assessment Group in Europe (VITAE) (2007) Venous thromboembolism (VTE) in Europe. The number of VTE events and associated morbidity and mortality. Thromb Haemost 98(756):764Google Scholar
- 3.Kahn SR, Shbaklo H, Lamping DL, Holcroft CA, Shrier I, Miron MJ, Roussin A, Desmarais S, Joyal F, Kassis J, Solymoss S, Desjardins L, Johri M, Ginsberg JS (2008) Determinants of health-related quality of life during the 2 years following deep vein thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost 6:1105–1112CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Guanella R, Ducruet T, Johri M, Miron MJ, Roussin A, Desmarais S, Joyal F, Kassis J, Solymoss S, Ginsberg JS, Lamping DL, Shrier I, Kahn SR (2011) Economic burden and cost determinants of deep vein thrombosis during 2 years following diagnosis: a prospective evaluation. J Thromb Haemost 9:2397–2405CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kahn SR, Shrier I, Julian JA, Ducruet T, Arsenault L, Miron MJ, Roussin A, Desmarais S, Joyal F, Kassis J, Solymoss S, Desjardins L, Lamping DL, Johri M, Ginsberg JS (2008) Determinants and time course of the postthrombotic syndrome after acute deep venous thrombosis. Ann Intern Med 149:698–707CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Schulman S, Lindmarker P, Holmstrom M, Larfars G, Carlsson A, Nicol P, Svensson E, Ljungberg B, Viering S, Nordlander S, Leijd B, Jahed K, Hjorth M, Linder O, Beckman M (2006) Post-thrombotic syndrome, recurrence, and death 10 years after the first episode of venous thromboembolism treated with warfarin for 6 weeks or 6 months. J Thromb Haemost 4:734–742CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Kearon C, Akl EA, Comerota AJ, Prandoni P, Bounameaux H, Goldhaber SZ, Nelson ME, Wells PS, Gould MK, Dentali F, Crowther M, Kahn SR (2012) Antithrombotic therapy for VTE disease: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest 141(2 Suppl):e419S–e496CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Galanaud JP, Holcroft CA, Rodger MA, Kovacs MJ, Betancourt MT, Wells PS, Anderson DR, Chagnon I, Le Gal G, Solymoss S, Crowther MA, Perrier A, White RH, Vickars LM, Ramsay T, Kahn SR (2013) Predictors of post-thrombotic syndrome in a population with a first deep vein thrombosis and no primary venous insufficiency. J Thromb Haemost 11:474–480CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Yamashita Y, Morimoto T, Amano H, Takase T, Hiramori S, Kim K, Konishi T, Akao M, Kobayashi Y, Inoue T, Oi M, Izumi T, Takahashi K, Tada T, Chen PM, Murata K, Tsuyuki Y, Sakai H, Saga S, Sasa T, Sakamoto J, Yamada C, Kinoshita M, Togi K, Ikeda T, Ishii K, Kaneda K, Mabuchi H, Otani H, Takabayashi K, Takahashi M, Shiomi H, Makiyama T, Ono K, Kimura T, Registry Investigators COMMANDVTE (2018) Anticoagulation therapy for venous thromboembolism in the real world—from the COMMAND VTE Registry. Circ J 82:1262–1270CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Pollack CV, Schreiber D, Goldhaber SZ, Slattery D, Fanikos J, O'Neil BJ, Thompson JR, Hiestand B, Briese BA, Pendleton RC, Miller CD, Kline JA (2011) Clinical characteristics, management, and outcomes of patients diagnosed with acute pulmonary embolism in the emergency department: initial report of emperor (multicenter emergency medicine pulmonary embolism in the real world registry). J Am Coll Cardiol 57:700–706CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Laporte S, Mismetti P, Décousus H, Uresandi F, Otero R, Lobo JL, Monreal M, Investigators RIETE (2008) Clinical predictors for fatal pulmonary embolism in 15,520 patients with venous thromboembolism: findings from the Registro Informatizado de la Enfermedad TromboEmbolica venosa (RIETE) Registry. Circulation 117:1711–1716CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kahn SR, Comerota AJ, Cushman M, Evans NS, Ginsberg JS, Goldenberg NA, Gupta DK, Prandoni P, Vedantham S, Walsh ME, Weitz JI, American Heart Association Council on Peripheral Vascular Disease, Council on Clinical Cardiology, and Council on Cardiovascular, and Stroke Nursing (2014) The postthrombotic syndrome: evidence-based prevention, diagnosis, and treatment strategies: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 130:1636–1661CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 31.Roumen-Klappe EM, den Heijer M, Janssen MC, van der Vleuten C, Thien T, Wollersheim H (2005) The post-thrombotic syndrome: incidence and prognostic value of non-invasive venous examinations in a six-year follow-up study. Thromb Haemos 94:825–830Google Scholar
- 37.Vedantham S, Goldhaber SZ, Julian JA, Kahn SR, Jaff MR, Cohen DJ, Magnuson E, Razavi MK, Comerota AJ, Gornik HL, Murphy TP, Lewis L, Duncan JR, Nieters P, Derfler MC, Filion M, Gu CS, Kee S, Schneider J, Saad N, Blinder M, Moll S, Sacks D, Lin J, Rundback J, Garcia M, Razdan R, VanderWoude E, Marques V, Kearon C, ATTRACT Trial Investigators (2017) Pharmacomechanical catheter-directed thrombolysis for deep-vein thrombosis. N Engl J Med 377:2240–2252CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 38.Kahn SR, Shapiro S, Wells PS, Rodger MA, Kovacs MJ, Anderson DR, Tagalakis V, Houweling AH, Ducruet T, Holcroft C, Johri M, Solymoss S, Miron MJ, Yeo E, Smith R, Schulman S, Kassis J, Kearon C, Chagnon I, Wong T, Demers C, Hanmiah R, Kaatz S, Selby R, Rathbun S, Desmarais S, Opatrny L, Ortel TL, Ginsberg JS, SOX Trial Investigators (2014) Compression stockings to prevent post-thrombotic syndrome: a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 383:880–888CrossRefGoogle Scholar