Impact of a prolonged interatrial conduction time for predicting the recurrence of atrial fibrillation after circumferential pulmonary vein isolation of persistent atrial fibrillation
There are some cases that are difficult to cure with only circumferential pulmonary vein isolation (CPVI) of persistent atrial fibrillation (PerAF). Recently, prolonged interatrial conduction times (IACTs), which seem to be associated with progressive remodeled atria, have been reported as a predictor of new-onset AF. This study aimed to investigate the prognostic value of a prolonged IACT for predicting AF recurrences after CPVI of PerAF. One hundred thirteen patients who underwent CPVI without an empirical substrate modification of PerAF were retrospectively analyzed. The IACT was defined as the interval from the earliest P-wave onset on the ECG to the latest activation in the coronary sinus and was measured after achieving the CPVI and conversion to sinus rhythm. During a mean 22.7-month follow-up after the initial procedure, 56 patients (50%) had AF recurrences. Patients with AF recurrence had a longer IACT than those without AF recurrence (p < 0.001). The best discriminative cut-off value for the IACT was 123 ms (sensitivity 53%, specificity 85%). In a Cox multivariate analysis, a prolonged IACT of ≥ 123 ms was the only independent predictor (hazard ratio: 2.38; 95% confidence interval: 1.36–4.16, p = 0.002) of being associated with the incidence of an AF recurrence. Even after multiple CPVI procedures, patients with an IACT ≥ 123 ms had a higher AF recurrence rate than those with an IACT < 123 ms (p = 0.002). In conclusion, a prolonged IACT of ≥ 123 ms may be a useful marker for predicting AF recurrences after both initial and multiple CPVI procedures for PerAF.
KeywordsCatheter ablation Circumferential pulmonary vein isolation Persistent atrial fibrillation Interatrial conduction time Predictor
We would like to thank Mr. John Martin for his linguistic assistance in the preparation of this manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflict of interest to disclose.
- 1.Verma A, Jiang CY, Betts TR, Chen J, Deisenhofer I, Mantovan R, Macle L, Morillo CA, Haverkamp W, Weerasooriya R, Albenque JP, Nardi S, Menardi E, Novak P, Sanders P, Investigators STARAFII (2015) Approaches to catheter ablation for persistent atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 372:1812–1822CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Higuchi S, Sohara H, Nakamura Y, Ihara M, Yamaguchi Y, Shoda M, Hagiwara N, Satake S (2016) Is it necessary to achieve a complete box isolation in the case of frequent esophageal temperature rises? Feasibility of shifting to a partial box isolation strategy for patients with non-paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 27:897–904CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Scherr D, Khairy P, Miyazaki S, Aurillac-Lavignolle V, Pascale P, Wilton SB, Ramoul K, Komatsu Y, Roten L, Jadidi A, Linton N, Pedersen M, Daly M, O'Neill M, Knecht S, Weerasooriya R, Rostock T, Manninger M, Cochet H, Shah AJ, Yeim S, Denis A, Derval N, Hocini M, Sacher F, Haissaguerre M, Jais P (2015) Five-year outcome of catheter ablation of persistent atrial fibrillation using termination of atrial fibrillation as a procedural endpoint. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 8:18–24CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Chao TF, Sung SH, Wang KL, Lin YJ, Chang SL, Lo LW, Hu YF, Tuan TC, Suenari K, Li CH, Ueng KC, Wu TJ, Chen SA (2011) Associations between the atrial electromechanical interval, atrial remodelling and outcome of catheter ablation in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Heart 97:225–230CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Ejima K, Kato K, Arai K, Fukushima K, Fukushima N, Suzuki T, Yoshida K, Nuki T, Uematsu S, Hoshi H, Manaka T, Ashihara K, Shoda M, Hagiwara N (2014) Impact of atrial remodeling on the outcome of radiofrequency catheter ablation of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Circ J 78:872–877CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Mugnai G, Chierchia GB, de Asmundis C, Juliá J, Conte G, Sieira-Moret J, Capulzini L, Wauters K, Rodriguez-Mañero M, Ciconte G, Baltogiannis G, Di Giovanni G, Saitoh Y, Brugada P (2016) P-wave indices as predictors of atrial fibrillation recurrence after pulmonary vein isolation in normal left atrial size. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 17:194–200CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Deftereos S, Kossyvakis C, Efremidis M, Bouras G, Panagopoulou V, Papadimitriou C, Doudoumis K, Deftereos G, Synetos A, Davlouros P, Toutouzas K, Alexopoulos D, Manolis AS, Giannopoulos G (2014) Interatrial conduction time and incident atrial fibrillation: a prospective cohort study. Heart Rhythm 11:1095–1101CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Calkins H, Kuck KH, Cappato R, Brugada J, Camm AJ, Chen SA, Crijns HJ, Damiano RJ Jr, Davies DW, DiMarco J, Edgerton J, Ellenbogen K, Ezekowitz MD, Haines DE, Haissaguerre M, Hindricks G, Iesaka Y, Jackman W, Jalife J, Jais P, Kalman J, Keane D, Kim YH, Kirchhof P, Klein G, Kottkamp H, Kumagai K, Lindsay BD, Mansour M, Marchlinski FE, McCarthy PM, Mont JL, Morady F, Nademanee K, Nakagawa H, Natale A, Nattel S, Packer DL, Pappone C, Prystowsky E, Raviele A, Reddy V, Ruskin JN, Shemin RJ, Tsao HM, Wilber D (2012) 2012 HRS/EHRA/ECAS Expert consensus statement on catheter and surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation: recommendations for patient selection, procedural techniques, patient management and follow-up, definitions, endpoints, and research trial design. Europace 14:528–606CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ejima K, Henmi R, Iwanami Y, Yagishita D, Shoda M, Hagiwara N (2017) Comparison of the efficacy of empiric thoracic vein isolation for the treatment of paroxysmal and persistent atrial fibrillation in patients without structural heart disease. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 28:266–272CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Abecasis J, Dourado R, Ferreira A, Saraiva C, Cavaco D, Santos KR, Morgado FB, Adragão P, Silva A (2009) Left atrial volume calculated by multi-detector computed tomography may predict successful pulmonary vein isolation in catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation. Europace 11:1289–1294CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Jadidi AS, Lehrmann H, Keyl C, Sorrel J, Markstein V, Minners J, Park CI, Denis A, Jaïs P, Hocini M, Potocnik C, Allgeier J, Hochholzer W, Herrera-Sidloky C, Kim S, Omri YE, Neumann FJ, Weber R, Haïssaguerre M, Arentz T (2016) Ablation of Persistent Atrial Fibrillation Targeting Low-Voltage Areas With Selective Activation Characteristics. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCEP.115.002962 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar